Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Thought I might get a bit more traffic and response putting this in a separate post from my build thread.

So with the engine now running, I have a check engine light due to the alternator not being seen by the ECM. It’s a 92 YJ and I put in a Powermaster 170 amp 1 wire alternator. (Internally regulated) so I removed the factory wiring for the alternator for the most part. Left some tails coming out of the ECM but that’s it.

Does anyone know what the alternator field wire is looking for? Can I ground it or tie it to 12 volts to trick the ECM to thinking the original alternator is there and functioning normally? Need the CEL off so I can smog it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just having done a fuel injection conversion on my engine, I think the real problem is the 1 wire alternator not being"excited" and charging until the rpms climb. This starves the computer and ignition of voltage, causing problems. I'm not familiar with your computer at all though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just having done a fuel injection conversion on my engine, I think the real problem is the 1 wire alternator not being"excited" and charging until the rpms climb. This starves the computer and ignition of voltage, causing problems. I'm not familiar with your computer at all though.
that’s easy. All you do is rev the engine up when you first start it. They kick on a little north of 1,000 RPM. I have one in my 71 Charger too. Just give it a little gas for a second when you first start it up and it kicks on. Voltage gauge jumps right up to 14.4 Volts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
And then every time it drops to below whatever the threshold for your alternator is it stops charging again... 1 wire alternators are for hot rods that see the street all the time, not off road rigs IMO. Not even gonna get into the hugely overstated amperage ratings and how they never come close to putting that out.

Anyway, what point on the original alternator did the original wire you're asking about connect to? There's only ever 3, and they do different jobs, so it should be easy to tell. I've never seen an alternator field wire on an ECM, so what's your book say it should go to?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
And then every time it drops to below whatever the threshold for your alternator is it stops charging again... 1 wire alternators are for hot rods that see the street all the time, not off road rigs IMO. Not even gonna get into the hugely overstated amperage ratings and how they never come close to putting that out.

Anyway, what point on the original alternator did the original wire you're asking about connect to? There's only ever 3, and they do different jobs, so it should be easy to tell. I've never seen an alternator field wire on an ECM, so what's your book say it should go to?
Cant disagree, we put a 3 wire 10si on a tractor and it wasn't a big deal to wire up.

Aaron Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts