Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i follow a 1 ton pickup i almost rear end them cuz i'm too busy looking at the running gear...

does anyone have links/specs on the sterling axle? it looks like it has better clearance than a 70 or maybe even a 60. i'm curious about shaft types and case design tho.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,164 Posts
Originally posted by WillyPete:
<STRONG>does anyone have links/specs on the sterling axle? it looks like it has better clearance than a 70 or maybe even a 60. i'm curious about shaft types and case design tho.</STRONG>
This is all 2nd hand info; it is what I was told when I asked about the Sterling:

1. The Ring & Pinion are about as strong as a D60, however it has significantly weaker axle shafts.

2. Not much available in terms of aftermarket parts like lockers and beefier axles.

That is all I was told (that I remember anyway); whether or not this is true, dunno, no first hand knowledge.

- Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Chatfield:
<STRONG>This is all 2nd hand info; it is what I was told when I asked about the Sterling:

1. The Ring & Pinion are about as strong as a D60, however it has significantly weaker axle shafts.

2. Not much available in terms of aftermarket parts like lockers and beefier axles.

That is all I was told (that I remember anyway); whether or not this is true, dunno, no first hand knowledge.

- Mike</STRONG>

You need to resize your picture, it took for ever to open this page. It's 184,967 bytes.
<IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Chatfield:
<STRONG>This is all 2nd hand info; it is what I was told when I asked about the Sterling:

1. The Ring & Pinion are about as strong as a D60, however it has significantly weaker axle shafts.

2. Not much available in terms of aftermarket parts like lockers and beefier axles.

That is all I was told (that I remember anyway); whether or not this is true, dunno, no first hand knowledge.

- Mike</STRONG>
somebody's been

<IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0"> crack. the d60's have 1 5/16 shafts and the sterlings have 1.5" shafts. the sterling also has a larger r&p. 99 and up have a 10.5" ring gear and earlier ones had a 10.25" ring gear. the only problem i know of is 4.56 is as low as you can go with the r&p.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
Originally posted by high5:
<STRONG>somebody's been

<IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0"> crack. the d60's have 1 5/16 shafts and the sterlings have 1.5" shafts. the sterling also has a larger r&p. 99 and up have a 10.5" ring gear and earlier ones had a 10.25" ring gear. the only problem i know of is 4.56 is as low as you can go with the r&p.</STRONG>
Not true! I've heard of 7.17's for it! The shafts are 1.5" and are 35 splines. Ain't much in the way of lockers for it, though. That will change now that the superduties are so popular.

J. J.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: patooyee ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bah! i turn my nose up at lockers! i'm all about spools and lincoln locked diffs.

i heard sterlings have a large aftermarket support. 2nd hand info as well, but this guy knows his sheeot.

'sides, you think ford would put something weaker than a 60 in a 1 ton? <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Not true! I've heard of 7.17's for it! The shafts are 1.5" and are 35 splines. Ain't much in the way of lockers for it, though. That will change now that the superduties are so popular.
ok true but from what from what i have heard there is nothing in between4.56's and 7.17's. 7.17's are too low in my opinion and i bet that pinion is getting pretty small at that ratio. this is why i didn't mention the 7.17's. as for lockers i'm not sure. if they don't make a detroit for it then just weld it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Originally posted by FordPowr..:
<STRONG>There about = to D70/14 bolt strength

35 spline axles
you CAN get a detroit/lock-right/ARB for them

4.56 and 5.38 gears are available for it
http://www.ring-pinion.com/a-ford.html</STRONG>
ooo cool! when did they start making 5.38's? i imagine we'll start seing a whole lot more of these under rigs in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,164 Posts
Originally posted by high5:
<STRONG>ooo cool! when did they start making 5.38's? i imagine we'll start seing a whole lot more of these under rigs in the future.</STRONG>
Damn! Wish I would have bought the one I saw about 2 years ago. The guy only wanted $150 for it, instead I listened to a "trusted friend." Or was it only recently that they started making lockers for it???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
A detroit and ARB have been available for many years....I think the 5.38's are a new addition as I have only seen them for a few months
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Originally posted by FordPowr..:
<STRONG>http://www.ring-pinion.com/a-ford.html</STRONG>
Went to the Dana part of their website. When did they start making 5.38s for RR D60s? Sweet <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> I'm going to have to go with those <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top