Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 Sterling 10.25" full float rear, and I can't find the torquing procedure for the spindle nut anywhere online (here, diesel stop, google). It's some sort of odd ratcheting keeper with just a single nut, so I've got really no idea what to do with it.

I'm used to the paired nuts + washer, where your torque the inner to seat the bearings, back it off to finger tight, lock it with the keyed washer, and then tighten the shit out of the outer nut (150# or so).

Also, going off D60 FF specs, the hub-to-shaft flange bolts should be 115#/ft. Is that close enough for a 10.25"?

Thanks,

·
Registered
20 Posts
8-10 "clicks"

Actually I think its 8-10 "clicks", youll know what I mean when you try it. Just twist the special nut on, when it makes contact itl start clicking, 8-10 times and you should be fine but Ill check again in the haynes manual.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Helms calls for somewhere right in the neighborhood of 50ft lbs and then a designated # of clicks. I'd use your judgment and don't get too worried about it personally.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i cant remember what to torque it to, but i do remember it was 5 clicks you back it off. if i can find my book, i'll post the torque specs.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
judgement used.... 50 was starting to impede movement. I probably seated them in the 60-70 neighborhood, and they're probably sitting at 40-45.

I was also kinda surprised to find a left hand thread on the left side. Makes me feel better with just that funny ratcheting lockwasher keeping them tight though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts