Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it so hard to find Sterling/Visteon 7.17 Gears. This is the part number E5TW4209FA. However, they are no where to be found. Help me out here please. I need them to push the 46s. :mad3:

·
Registered
240 Posts
thats a Ford part #

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that is the Ford number and I have been to two Ford dealers to order a set they both relay they cannot get them in. Tomorrow I am going to one more dealer where I know the service manager. As far as other companies you can find the Dana 60/70 gears in 7.17 and only up to 5.38s for the Sterling. So this is my issue. I appreciate the inputs. :(

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
46's on a d50/10.25 combo? Good luck man. Especially with those tiny pinion gears you're about to be runnin... Not to mention all that fawkin torque you must have.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
American said:
46's on a d50/10.25 combo? Good luck man. Especially with those tiny pinion gears you're about to be runnin... Not to mention all that fawkin torque you must have.
agreed, if the truck in your sig is the one in question. are you going to beef up the outers? unit bearings wear out prematurely with 285's. also, with a diesel's redline i think you would be better off with something in the 5.13 range.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, thanks for the advice. I will do some work on my outers. Both the Dana 60 and Sterling are up to the task. Doing my math 7.17 seem the way to get to stock specs unless I am missing something. Of course, I do need to keep the RPMs down. Let me sharpen my pencil

I did check out both Randy's and Ford Racing and came up with nothing. I might not have any other choice but stay in the 5.13 range.

I am vacationing in the Caribe for a week. I will check you guys out when I get back.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
El Gato said:
Guys, thanks for the advice. I will do some work on my outers. Both the Dana 60 and Sterling are up to the task. Doing my math 7.17 seem the way to get to stock specs unless I am missing something. Of course, I do need to keep the RPMs down. Let me sharpen my pencil

I did check out both Randy's and Ford Racing and came up with nothing. I might not have any other choice but stay in the 5.13 range.

I am vacationing in the Caribe for a week. I will check you guys out when I get back.

Just as a side question, what style Dana 60 are you running in the front? Unless its a drive side low-pinion or you switch to a passenger side t-case and front axle, you are going to have a hella hard time finding 7.17 gears for that HP Dana 60.

·
Registered
484 Posts
American said:

X2 with the new style unit bearing hubs you won't even be able to get to the mall before they go out. i've broken 3 front shafts, 2 front carriers and 2 rear ring and pinions w/ 35" Maxxis mudders

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
CartsXJ said:
Just as a side question, what style Dana 60 are you running in the front? Unless its a drive side low-pinion or you switch to a passenger side t-case and front axle, you are going to have a hella hard time finding 7.17 gears for that HP Dana 60.
I was thinking the same, lowest I've ever heard of was the 5.38's for a HP 60

·
Registered
17 Posts
7.17s

I need a pr of that ratio, the E5 at the begining of that ford part# indicates that the gear was manufactured in may of 1985 that would also explain why it is for a 10.25 which is a interchangable with the 10.50. i also have been to the end of the internet and have not been able to locate the damn thing. the closest thing that i have found is chrismans and it was a mistake on their web site, they said they were sorry. then motive gear has them listed but no part number. my truck is a 2001 long bed super duty with 12.5 inch edge kit,46 inch michilen XMLs 20 inch micky tompson classic 2's. funny thing is every one is griping about there sealed bearings, mine have held up great so far. the truck has had the tires on it for 6 months now and it is my daily driver.as for gas milage the v-10 is squeezin out 7.1 in town. according to the gage. the brakes suck. the steering is limited due to the tires rubbing on the front leafs way before you hit the steering locks. its got 4.30s in it right now. 7.17 will be only 400 rpms higher at 75 mph than 430's with stock 275s on it. that should help with the tires extra weight. 270 lbs each. as for 5.13s they would be a waste of time and money. the 5.38s as well. this is also my tow rig so it will never see much wheelin action. i got a streched rockwelled wrangler with ft&rr steering and a small block ford,np435/205. home brew triangluated 3 link suspension.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rockwells, you are feeling my problem. Have you looked into custom gearing? Expensive huh???? :mad3:

·
Registered
395 Posts
You could add a pro fab t-case and not have to regear, and it will set you driveline angles a whole hell of a lot better too. You will need new driveshafts though. OneUpOffRoad does this on their trucks. 7.17 gears would have so many tiny teeth, there is no way they would hold up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
having some machine shop cut me a pair of custom gears will be insanely expensive. i have looked into a gear reduction case made by gearvendors. YEAH---NOOO that will run me about the price of a decent super charger. so i will probably have to go with 5.38s since it appears that there is nobody around with any knowledge about the 7.17's . I can honestly give 2 shitts about the strength of the 7.17s because the truck will probably never see a gravel parking lot thats what i got a stretched, smallblocked,front & rear steer, rockwelled, lowgeared, detroited, wrangler spankin 42 inch swampers :flipoff2: and the ford is just a tow rig that happens to have 46 inch michelin XMLS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rockwells, can you post some pics of your beast? :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts