Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friend of mine has a full size blazer that needs a new rear R&P, asked me how hard it is to do. after searching, there's not a whole lot on it. Sooooo, just wanted to ask while we're getting the req printed info together. I've done several, but never one of these.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I just finished putting 410's in mine.Used all new bearings of course.The Pinion depth was set using .037" of shims.I set the Pinion preload to where it would take two fingers to turn it smoothly.The back lash should be set to .006-.010".The Carrier preload was set by gently tapping the shims in with a plastic hammer.So far It has 1200 miles and runs fine.The only problem i had was that the Eaton posi that i installed had to be shortened at the end of the Carrier journals so that the shims would slide in without hitting.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
krb said:
The only problem i had was that the Eaton posi that i installed had to be shortened at the end of the Carrier journals so that the shims would slide in without hitting.
Yukk! I never heard of that problem. Wonder if it is unique to Eaton Pos or 10 bolt :confused:

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Eaton posi was installed in a 1990 Jimmy.The carrier journals were larger than the stock carrier.Had to use different bearings and shims with a larger I.D.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ahhh, that would be because the 1990 version was 30 spline

Did you use the 30 spline shafts in your axle?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes,I installed a pair new 30 spline axles.The old ones showed quite a bit of wear at the outer bearing surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts