Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 78 half ton pickup with either a 10 bolt or a dana 44 front axle... I'm not quite sure right now, as it's raining and I don't want to get under there and scrub the grime off searching for casting numbers and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm looking to get an 8 lug setup, simply because I have a 10 bolt rear end, and I'm going on to a Corp 14 bolt. I know many of you will say just go for a Dana 60 or something rather than screwing with the twigs, but I'm on a VERY tight budget right now, and can't afford to do better... So... With that out of the way, I have found a complete 14 bolt and D44 for $200 on Craigslist, but the D44 is missing an axle shaft. That means I would either have to spend more money on an axle shaft, or combine the parts from the two axles.

Now to the main question- can I swap Dana 44 hubs onto a 10 bolt no problem, or an axle shaft from the 10 bolt into the D44?

I'm hoping I don't need noob tags. :homer:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
you can tell the difference between a 10 bolt and a d44 just by looking at the diff cover you can google them to see the difference
you can swap hubs as d44 and 10 bolts use the same outter shafts however you cannot swap the axle shafts the 10 bolt is 28 spline and the d44 is 30 unless you have an older 10 bolt then it will have 30 as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can tell the difference between a 10 bolt and a d44 just by looking at the diff cover you can google them to see the difference
you can swap hubs as d44 and 10 bolts use the same outter shafts however you cannot swap the axle shafts the 10 bolt is 28 spline and the d44 is 30 unless you have an older 10 bolt then it will have 30 as well.
Alright... So I could swap the outer shaft (that goes into the hub), but not the axle shaft itself? Hubs and spindles can be swapped... What about gear set? The axle I'm looking at has 4.10's- could I toss those in the 10 bolt, or are they different sizes?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
correct you can swap outter shafts that goes into the hub but not the axle shaft itself.
hubs and spindles can be swapped, but the gears cannot they are different size

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
correct you can swap outter shafts that goes into the hub but not the axle shaft itself.
hubs and spindles can be swapped, but the gears cannot they are different size
Ok... I guess I'll just run to the junkyard and find an axle shaft provided everything else checks out.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Slight correction to a previous post.....newer front 10-bolts went to 30-spline however you still can't swap INNER axle shafts between a Chevy Dana 44 and a 30-spline 10-bolt because they are different lengths (offset of the pumpkin is different so the long side shaft on one version is longer but the short side is shorter), and while you can likely physically put the shaft into either housing the pressure angle the splines are cut at are different.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks to google:

10 bolt, note the ears on the bottom

Dana 44

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks to google:

10 bolt, note the ears on the bottom

Dana 44

nice info! clearly shows how a pic is worth 1000 words. another axle question. i just got a dana 44 flat top knuckle off an older chevy, will that knuckle bolt onto my 10 bolt 3/4 (8lug) on my 85 suburban? im trying to d ocrossover steering.

second. a dana 60 passenger side knuckle, is that easier to use to do crossover versus a dana 44 flat top?? (i hav still hav to get the dana 44 machined, and buy the arm that bolts to the top)

thanks

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
nice info! clearly shows how a pic is worth 1000 words. another axle question. i just got a dana 44 flat top knuckle off an older chevy, will that knuckle bolt onto my 10 bolt 3/4 (8lug) on my 85 suburban? im trying to d ocrossover steering.

second. a dana 60 passenger side knuckle, is that easier to use to do crossover versus a dana 44 flat top?? (i hav still hav to get the dana 44 machined, and buy the arm that bolts to the top)

thanks
The knuckles will interchange in regards to a flat top D44 vs. 10-bolt.

However you cannot bolt on a D60 knuckle to either of the above axles as they are significantly different. Though on a D60 it is much easier to do crossover steering since you just unbolt the stock kingpin cap and bolt on a steering arm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The knuckles will interchange in regards to a flat top D44 vs. 10-bolt.

However you cannot bolt on a D60 knuckle to either of the above axles as they are significantly different. Though on a D60 it is much easier to do crossover steering since you just unbolt the stock kingpin cap and bolt on a steering arm.
hmm so what ur tellin me..is that i shud just upgrade to a dana 60 now...lol..what year n model ar ethose found on (that will fit an 85 suburb pass drop)

thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
One other difference: 10-Bolt brake backing plates have a tab that the Dana 44 backing plates don't, so to use them on a 44 knuckle you have to cut/grind off the tab.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was wondering if anyone could answer this question quickly. they said that from the knuckles out the Dana 44 and 10 bolt are interchangeable... Could I use a flat top knuckle from a half ton Dana 44 on my 3/4 ton 10 bolt? I believe the knuckles are the same but just need to make sure. I'm in a jam to where I just can't find out for myself so would like to be sure before I move forward, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah dude, i'd expect you to be from Galt. but i guess i should have made the question a little more simple, a 1/2 TON dana 44 flat top knuckle will work with a 3/4 TON 10 bolt? didn't know if there was a difference between the 1/2TON or 3/4TON knuckles chief, thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts