Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance as building an off road truck is new to me, though I've owned many road only H.D. PU and C&C class 3-5 trucks. The idea (I'm sure not unique) would be find a 250/350 6.2L extended cab 4x4 with factory 4:30's and rear e locker, shorten rear frame/flat bed or tube chassis, mod the front clip to accommodate 40's with as little to no lift as possible. Building a wide track super 60 would be an option for strength and wheel clearance with an ARB. Here's my questions so far, would be power of the 6.2L , 6 speed trans, 273 TC be enough to turn the big 40's? Is there a 'doubler' that would work in these trucks or would gearing be the way to go if the 4:30's don't cut it ? Would the 'electronic nanny' systems in the newer trucks inhibit the truck in off road situations where you want 100% control over all systems of the vehicle? I live in central Ontario and the trails are slow, rocky, muddy and tight.

I welcome any advice or criticism from the well seasoned builders.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i think you are on the right track....I was literally just rolling this idea around the other day.. i think that is is the best stock truck to build.

I think the one hurdle would be getting the thing to flex well with the leafs and radius arms.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am sort of planning a milder build with a single cab 6.2 f350. You will definitely want lower gears than 4.30.
I think there might be a doubler type low range box out there somewhere, I thought I saw one the other day. I was also thinking put the drivetrain in a 99- 07 ish truck and try to get all the nanny stuff tuned out of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, I am still on the fence as the whether or not to go full hardcore trail rig or as ' old army ' says go milder. 37's and some minor sheet metal work could make a fairly capable trail truck, just maybe not extreme. The upside would be having a fully functional pick up as well. One of the goals for this model year range is to start with a vehicle that needs the least amount of work to become trail ready.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ill have to get my turd running first then see what to do with it. I have read that the 4.30 are the hot setup no matter what. The cats are potentially in the way for lifting. stupid placement and large size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts