Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to get some custom rear springs for the 110. I feel that what is available on the market is not suited to my truck. Does anyone have experience with having custom springs wound? I am a novice as far as spring rates go. I have weighed the whole truck (5760 lbs loaded) and rear axle (3170 lbs loaded). I want to achieve a 3-4" lift. I need Help.

Jesse Ware

:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Bottom line is that you need to work with John at Rovertym. He fixed me up with some 5" lift springs for the D110 after a little bit of trial and error (as these were the first D110 sets that were done). KC from NSO provided input about the rear spring rates once we had the approx. rear axle weight, desired height, etc.

The easy way of course is to run OME springs and some sort of short spacer (1-1.5" should get you to about 3" of lift). Unless you are using some externally mounted front shocks and longer travel rear shocks/mounts that is all you really need anyway.

Billster

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill-
I have not had much luck with Rovertyme via e-mail this week. It seems as though they are trying to shake me off with quip one sentece unsigned responses. I may just call John myself. I am currently running a set of 2" spacers John made for me a few years ago with a set of Med OME's. If getting custom springs made is to much of a hassle I may just go this route again.

My Current suspension is pretty simple, I just needed to get enough lift for the 37's, which combined with lockers is about all you need in New England, however never beeing satisfied I am in the midst of figuring out what I am going to do to improve articulation. I am planning on a front radius arm rebuild to correct for caster and lift as well as hinging one. I am also working out the design of a front tower/cone setup to mount the 12-14" shocks foreward of the tower and retain the spring when it drops out. The rear is up in the air as far as what to do shock and spring retention wise. I am thinking about using the sg upper spring retainer or making my own along the same lines. I appreciate any input anyone may have on any of thes ideas. I am just not real interested in what many of the companies have to offer as "kits".

Jesse

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Good thinking on all fronts. However John is a good guy and doesn't communicate much via email. Do yourself a favor and call him and I expect you will get a different result.

KC makes the front shock mounts you are talking about. And some nifty rear mounts that completely relocate the rear shocks for some megatravel. I know it works on the D110 frame just fine.:flipoff2:

Anyway, KC might also have some interesting ideas for rear suspension if you want max articulation, but still be able to carry a big load in the 110. Give him a call as well.

Billster

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Ring John and he will help you. It is much better than email. He is always busy. The closest I have seen off the shelf is some bearmachs for 110 rears. I have a set and they seem to be about a 3in spring but they are also very heavy so no flex.

Ron

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
OME makes up to 600 lb ones for the rear of 110's. Not much additional lift, just stiff as board.

j

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you figure the necessary spring rate based on the laden weight of the axle?
I am pretty sure a flexy spring is out of the question to handle the weight of the 110 sw unless I were to put an airbag on top of the a-arm where the load leveler was, then I might be able to compensate for a flexy spring on the road. I dunno just kind of thinking out loud..

Jesse

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Rates will be dependant on the trail application. What are you looking to do most. And does body roll make you pee your shorts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bodyrooool, is what I've got huge amounts of right now:eek: . It is at the point that driving twisty New England roads is a bit like picking a line on a mogul run. I would like to cut down on it but not to the point of make the truck untrailworthy. I know I want both worlds and that will have to be a comprimise somewhere. this vehicle is primarily a trail truck in new england right now but I would like to venture out to other parts of the country and try some other places to wheel. When travelling more than 4 hours I will trailler the truck.
Jesse

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Maine 110 said:
Bodyrooool, is what I've got huge amounts of right now:eek: . It is at the point that driving twisty New England roads is a bit like picking a line on a mogul run. Jesse
that was my problem too. I went with an adjustable shock (rancho - not fox) so that I could stiffen the pee out of them when I was driving loaded for a camping trip. I also run about 100-200 pounds heavier in spring rate than most rigs with swaybars.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106972&highlight=spring+rate+formula

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11372&highlight=spring+rate+formula

j

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the links I think I am starting to get it... By rough calculations and gross estimated axle wieght (how much my back hurt when I hauled the salisbury out to do the gears) I'm comming up with a spring rate of @ 450 lb/inch. I am running the rancho 9000 out back at the highest setting to contol body roll but it is not enough with my knackered springs.
Jesse

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
not sure what you were running, but I came up with about 300 to 350lbs. That is without knowing more about your truck. the problem with the formulas Rangie gave you, is that they are set for a specific range of travel. They do not take in account anything aside from weight on the truck. I have been fighting the spring rate issues for awhile, and i am close to having a program that shows body roll in static off camber situations, and well as many other factors. I am just trying to work out all the bugs, to figure out proper measurements and such. But my basic spring program works fairly well so far. if you would like, i will figure your spring rates out, but I need a few measurements off your truck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KC thanks for the offer, what measurements do you need? Before I waste your time though, do you have a source to get custom springs made? Can a local shop do the work? I have a salisbury rear with the Big springs, so going through traditional rover vendors is not really an option as they all seem to just be doing Standard diameter Rover springs.

Jesse

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jesse, lets do this....my concerns have been about getting it close the first time. Bill R has a set of springs and an adapter for the 110 that I would like for you to try first and that will give us a baseline on your seat of the pants feel...then we can go from there. How about it Bill...still got that first set and can we get them to Jesse? I can do a UPS call tag on them. ...let me know. I am not known for my "dissertations" via e mail....sorry.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
John (roverwrench),

I am trying to solve a similar probem on mine. I REALLY like the 300-360 rates (progressive - OME 762- old style) but I need them to be the same length or longer (about 1-2 inches) than your rt3's

Any ideas?

I am having to add some more spacer as mine are finally sagging.

Call me on 303.906.8693 tomorrow if'n you want.

j

1 - 17 of 17 Posts