Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While tearing apart the rear end to put in the 5.38 gears last night, I realized that there is no way I can get the center pin in while the ring gear is on. WTF??? Is there a special center pin to be used with the lower gears??

:confused:

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
grind the root of the tooth on the ring gear until the center pin fits.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
i would just pull the ring gear off.. there are many carriers that wouldn't let u pull the cross pin with the ring gear on.. you are talking about the cross pin that holds the spider gears, correct??

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
i would just pull the ring gear off.. there are many carriers that wouldn't let u pull the cross pin with the ring gear on.. you are talking about the cross pin that holds the spider gears, correct??
So how do you recommend he installs the ring gear once the carrier is in the diff, the axles are in, c-clips are on, and the cross pin is in?

I have heard of certain diff combinations where a little grinding on the ring teeth were neccesary. I would try and find the location (ie rotate the ring gear to different bolt holes) where the least grinding is required, and grind away till it fits.

Pete

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pcorssmit said:
So how do you recommend he installs the ring gear once the carrier is in the diff, the axles are in, c-clips are on, and the cross pin is in?

I have heard of certain diff combinations where a little grinding on the ring teeth were neccesary. I would try and find the location (ie rotate the ring gear to different bolt holes) where the least grinding is required, and grind away till it fits.

Pete
I am gonna try the grinding method tonight. I spoke with a richmond gear rep today and was told that yes they have a special "notched" cross pin that will slip thru once it is all together. However, apon looking at the pin I decided that I would rather have 1 or 2 teeth on the ring gear ground down a little than use that POS cross pin. The gear installer even recommended grinding the teeth instead of using the pin for my application.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bigger Valves said:
i suggest pulling out the carrier.. :flipoff2:
Uhh, he already has it out, thats not the problem--putting it in is the problem. :flipoff2:

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts