Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While tearing apart the rear end to put in the 5.38 gears last night, I realized that there is no way I can get the center pin in while the ring gear is on. WTF??? Is there a special center pin to be used with the lower gears??

:confused:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pcorssmit said:
So how do you recommend he installs the ring gear once the carrier is in the diff, the axles are in, c-clips are on, and the cross pin is in?

I have heard of certain diff combinations where a little grinding on the ring teeth were neccesary. I would try and find the location (ie rotate the ring gear to different bolt holes) where the least grinding is required, and grind away till it fits.

Pete
I am gonna try the grinding method tonight. I spoke with a richmond gear rep today and was told that yes they have a special "notched" cross pin that will slip thru once it is all together. However, apon looking at the pin I decided that I would rather have 1 or 2 teeth on the ring gear ground down a little than use that POS cross pin. The gear installer even recommended grinding the teeth instead of using the pin for my application.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts