Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 12 bolt rear for free so I decided to tinker with it. From the numbers on it, I found it is a GM67 which means it was made in 1967(correct?)
Its drum brake setup, but its missing the brakes. Ive researched that disk brakes are better and Im curious what to look for in a salvage yard. When I look up differential covers or ring and pinion kits, each company has different kits for the 12 bolt cars and the 12 bolt trucks/blazers.
Are the brakes the same way? Do I have to find an old truck and take all I need from that? Or will any 12 bolt setup work?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I just picked up a 12 bolt rear for free so I decided to tinker with it. From the numbers on it, I found it is a GM67 which means it was made in 1967(correct?)
Its drum brake setup, but its missing the brakes. Ive researched that disk brakes are better and Im curious what to look for in a salvage yard. When I look up differential covers or ring and pinion kits, each company has different kits for the 12 bolt cars and the 12 bolt trucks/blazers.
Are the brakes the same way? Do I have to find an old truck and take all I need from that? Or will any 12 bolt setup work?
are you talking about taking a rear disk setup? no such thing can be found. is your axle 5 lug for 6 lug?

·
Registered
219 Posts
hi-jack on

how can i tell what series carrier i have? i got a 12 bolt with 3:40 gears out of a 75 half ton. i want to go with 3:73 or 4:10

hi-jack off

·
Registered
205 Posts
Better yet, go to markwilliams.com. That sight has a ton of options for the 12 bolt and it sounds like to me that you have a 12 bolt from under a car. All the disc brake conversions that I was looking at for mine were expensive, thats why I am currently building a 14 bolt ff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And the question still stands... Why polish a turd?

For the money you'd spend putting discs and gears in something like that you could probably spend $100-150 more and do the same with a 14.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I got my 14bolt ff for 90 bucks at a pullapart junkyard. I welded the spiders and put new oil in it...and new perches. So I have around 120 in it...not gearing it until I geta 60 for the front. Don't waste time on the 12 bolt...I used to have one and I wasted time on it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
It is definately a truck 12 bolt. Disc brake info can be found easily on many of the Chevy truck websites out there. What are you using it for?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well if thats the case I have a 12 bolt that is complete in good shape with 5:13 gears, detroit locker, new drums and newer shoes for sale:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Because the spring perches are on top. Any car that would have a 12bolt would be spring-under or coiled.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excuse my noob question.... but how do you know the perches are on the top? What makes that axle sit one way or the other?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since its so old, would you replace all the bearings? It turns freely now by hand. I just want to know if I should future proof it....

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know, I bet that if you did a little looking on craigslist and other places that you could find a 12 bolt thats complete and ready to roll, except for maybe the gearing, and it will be probably less money in the end.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so theres no brakes that would work on this thing? No common junk yard disk swaps? Anything?!?!?!?!? I was trying to make this build entirely free and this will throw me off lol.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
so theres no brakes that would work on this thing? No common junk yard disk swaps? Anything?!?!?!?!? I was trying to make this build entirely free and this will throw me off lol.
well do you want it 6 lug or are you content with the 5 lug?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts