Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve been looking at some 12v pump/resevior combos. What are the cons on going this route for my rear steer project? I assume the pros would be the simplicity of it, Esp due to just running wire for the rear control opposed to hoses. When in a cramped cab this would be real nice. What of the cons? Are the pump combos slow? Are they loud? Can they handle the elements? Or do they just plain suck for what I am wanting to do with it?

Lee

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
unless you use solenoid valves you still need lines in the cab for the control valve

you didn't post a link so I guess you could be using a pump with a valve pack but the higher flow ones might be more $$$ than the regular rear steer plumbing

just from looking on surplus center I see there arnt many options for a pack with built for use with double acting cylinders but I did see you could get a pack that would put out more pressure than a power steering pump

im sure this isnt the dirrect answer you were looking for......

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
with out looking at the valve schematic I would say the 2nd one might be what you would want

there are a lot of guys in the tool section using that unit for benders so you might post up there?

the first one would need a valve to direct the fluid where you want it to go

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
I used one to run the p/s box on my old mud racer and it worked great other than it made the box leak worse than ussual
as far as rear steer with electric the second one above would be best of those 2 the first is double acting but manual control
I have a buddy that works around commerical trucks and has alwas gotten me used lift gate power units and thats what I have always used its great to find freebies
just be aware most lift gate power units are single action but some are double and I got lucky and found one for my bender
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2006022610395422&catname=hydraulic&keyword=HPPD

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have had one in my mud truck since '99 to use as a backup in case the motor is dead. I have it mounted in the engine compartment, so it is a little sheltered from all of the water and muck, but it still gets plenty dirty and wet, and still works fine.

If the pumps you are looking at are anything like mine, they draw over 100 amps when they are running. You won't get an alternator to keep up with it, so if it is used too often or for too long, it will kill the battery.

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
I love mine it works great
I also got it off of ebay and it came with the valves
you can also do self center with electric

if the front stops working the rear can still get you out of the woods

this is the best pic i can find

Attachments

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
look for car hydraulic pumps same deal as a lift gate pump. you can shorten the tanks done. and change the plumbing to make them work for a dual acting ram.

used they can be found cheap.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Still looking for answers to m y questions though :D .

Basheeman. What pump are you running?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am interested in this too, I noticed most of those pumps where 1.1 gpm. They have enough pressure, but what is the minimum GPM to run a ram and have decent responce.

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
LUVMYTJ said:
Thanks for the info. Still looking for answers to m y questions though :D .

Basheeman. What pump are you running?
I think it is a 1.5 gal. pump
it is 5 seconds lock to lock sitting on blacktop
that sounds sloow but moving it is verry quick
allmost scary at 5 mph
the pump is a little loud to the back seat riders
but i still have stock mufflers so my rig is verry verry quiet

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bansheeman1 said:
I think it is a 1.5 gal. pump
it is 5 seconds lock to lock sitting on blacktop
that sounds sloow but moving it is verry quick
allmost scary at 5 mph
the pump is a little loud to the back seat riders
but i still have stock mufflers so my rig is verry verry quiet

What pump is that (brand)? You have it mounted in the cab huh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts