Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 diesel ram 2500 auto 4x4. The runs Awsome .but it has an intermittent start proublem. The batteries are original and test good.what has happened on 3 different times is ill turn it off to go talk to a drive through and it will not restart all I get is a thud (like a big relay closing).every time this has happened if I put a battery charger on it on "start " for less than a minute it will start. I can then turn it off and it will start back up just fine.batteries test good,terminals clean, not the park switch b/c it will restart w/o messing with the shifter. Any other ideas what to check

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Does this happen regardless if the motor is warm or cold?

How many miles?

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Maybe its your truck telling you to stop eating fast food? :laughing:

What about the next time it does it, instead of hooking a charger to it, you disconnect the batteries, cycle the key to make sure there's no residual power then reconnect them and see if it starts. It could be an ecm issue, a battery cable issue, the security system, etc. Lots of variables.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The truck has 55000 miles.Its all stock.its happened 3 times the temperature has been in the 40's and not raining.it has been a short trip as in start and drive less than 10 minutes

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sounds like a weak bendix unit on the starter. Its pushing it forward, but not enough to engage the starter gear and complete the rest of the circuit. When it cools a bit, the bendix gets a little stronger and completes the circuit.

FWIW you just described the problem I've had with my XJ for the last year. I just bought a new starter for it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
First, have you load tested the batteries or just checked voltage?
Second, like others have said it could be the starter.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
That does sound a lot like my '99 CTD did when the original solenoid contacts burned through. Unfortunately, it looks like Larry B's famous starter contacts top out with the '06 models.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
With that low mileage, I would be surprised if it is the starter.......unless you got a defect

The starters are pretty bulletproof on 03+ CR trucks, and rarely hear about issues

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like a weak bendix unit on the starter. Its pushing it forward, but not enough to engage the starter gear and complete the rest of the circuit. When it cools a bit, the bendix gets a little stronger and completes the circuit.

FWIW you just described the problem I've had with my XJ for the last year. I just bought a new starter for it.
Try to re-create the issue. Drive it around for 10 minutes come home and shut it off. I'd be interested to see you try to start it after it cools down with out using a battery charger. If still no start try the old banging on the starter trick. I know its odd for the year and mileage but it does sound like a starter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try to re-create the issue. Drive it around for 10 minutes come home and shut it off. I'd be interested to see you try to start it after it cools down with out using a battery charger. If still no start try the old banging on the starter trick. I know its odd for the year and mileage but it does sound like a starter.
Yea in my case I drove my XJ around six months with this issue, now that we have a 3 month old I'm more motivated to change it. I just wish I would have before it dropped to negative digits.

·
no where new
703 Posts
I ended up having bad batteries on my 2011 3500. When I hooked my meter up to them they were 12.6 volts, even cranking it only dropped 11.5 volts. replaced both batteries and never had an issue since. I also could not use the remote start. Seems like 3 years out of the batteries is doing good now days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When it acts up, turn on the headlamps, try the starter, if the lights stay bright it's an open circuit(starter). If the lamps shut off with the attempt to start it's a bad connection (cables terminals). I'm betting on a bad battery, do battery's as a pair.

Sometimes you can find a bad cable terminal because they get really hot at the problem area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I lost the starter on my work rig ISX Cummins at 44,500 miles and it was only a year old. So anything is possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts