Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am buying a welder soon and thinking of the miller matic 135 or 175. i am going to be using it weld up bumpers, sliders, and an exo cage. will .120 wall tube. some people so far told me to get the 175 cause the 135 is a little too small. its for home use. is the 175 overkill.

thanks

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
hell no the 175 is not overkill...I dont care if its just to make ornamental iron, the 175 isn't overkill...I agree with what others have said, the 135 is going to be too small VERY quickly...

A 110V unit is nice to have around, but only after you already have a nice 220V unit...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Just spend the lil bit more and get the 175 itll work out better in the long run...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The 175 is a great machine. I have one, owned for 5 months now can't see why i would need anything else. I can weld sheet metal and then go weld some 1/4 inch. For the price you can't beat it heres my set up. Perfect for automobile fabrication/restoration. i'm sure i'll own it forever.

·
Registered
269 Posts
IMO I would look in to the linclon (175) I like the larger millers but in the small stuff (under 200 amp) the linclon's seem to run better . but if you are stuck on miller go with the larger can't have too much.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
dhoffroad said:
IMO I would look in to the linclon (175) I like the larger millers but in the small stuff (under 200 amp) the linclon's seem to run better . but if you are stuck on miller go with the larger can't have too much.
Have you looked at the linclon's drive system compared to the millers...The linclon has mostly plastic parts, where as the miller is all steel, wich one do you think will last longer?? Yup thats right the Miller will.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
dhoffroad said:
IMO I would look in to the linclon (175)
I actually bought my miller at a welding supply store that only has linclon in stock. I looked over the options and the miller was a better deal, better equipped, better parts. Took a 2 day order. The only downside is the duty cycle mine is 30% (linclon is the same). another words 3 out of 10 minutes in needs to cool down. It has a automatic shut-off and i've yet to use it. for fabrication truck/body work purposes its more than enough machine.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
actually you have the duty cycle mixed up...30% means you can run it at the rated Amps for 3 out of 10 minutes, so it needs to cool for 7 out of 10 minutes...for example on the MM175 its rated at 130A at 20V at 30%...the lincoln is the exact same...

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok guys all I said was IMO. You could look at them side by side but did you get to actualy weld with them. I was'nt talking features or drive gears I was talking about the way they run\weld. anyway I am not bashing the miller's hell I have 5 larger miller machines in my shop but all the small stuff( 1 220 V 175 and,2 110 V ) are linclons. and as far as a 30% duty cycle goes that is rated at full power, which you wont be seeing very often if you get the 175

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
dhoffroad said:
and as far as a 30% duty cycle goes that is rated at full power, which you wont be seeing very often if you get the 175
Bah! I weld 1/4 all the time, full blast. 175 is barely enough for 1/4.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've owned a holbart 130, which is pretty much the same as the miller 135. I now have a 175 miller, and I'm very happy with it. Unless your into production, or are out in the garage welding every night, I can't imagine really needing anything bigger. The 220 seems to be the main difference, my 175, even when welding light, just feels so much better than the little 110 machine. The smaller machine use to shut down on my all the time, but the 175 (despite the low 30% duty cycle) hardly ever does. I would strongly recommend getting 220 machine, if not miller, then someother 220, but unless your really serious about welding, I wouldn't worry about getting anything more.

Chad

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
I asked this question in chit-chat, but i was looking between a 175 and 210 (or 215 depending on the company) and the general consensus was that the Miller 210 machine is what i should get.

Today i took a drive around town and found a welding store (Air Liquide), with a welding repair shop right next door. Decided to stop in at the repair shop first and see what they had to say. Talk to a real nice guy for nearly 30 minutes, and after telling him that i'd be primarily welding 1/4" a little sheet, but also going up to 1/2" for some bumper components, he said it really sounded like i should go with an even larger model, that being a Miller 251 (or equivalent).

But, i'm thinking that a machine that size is pretty pricey. And while i wasn't planning on buying "right now", it was probably going to be a springtime purchase...
A 3000 dollar purchase.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
jasonmt said:
The extra $850 the 251 would cost would be much better spent on a SMAW/GTAW machine. $850 would buy you a Maxstar 150STL or put you about 1/3 of the way to a Dynasty 200.

Jason thanks for the lengthy response, i understood everything until these last 2 sentences... :confused: :confused:
:laughing:

But in actual fact, it wasn't any salesman that suggested that i go with the bigger machine, it was the repair guy that was telling me to go that way. I felt he wasn't trying to push me towards Air Liquide, but after getting prices from them, i likely won't go that way in any event.
I found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45032&item=3845234265

That seller has a store that the prices seem to be pretty reasonable, and the Can. $ is doing really well lately against the U.S. buck, i'm assuming because of the upcoming election down there.
Anyway, i guess i will continue my research.
Problem is that there are very few welding supply places in Windsor...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Shipping/border hassles are liable to kill any price advantage you are going to have by buying out of the states, unless you go down and pick it up yourself. The last two sentences: Spend the $850 on a TIG/STICK machine.

Maxstar 150:

Dynasty 200:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heres another ebay store that does millers and free shipping if you're in the 48.
Quimby
They alao sell spool gun packages. 210 should be good for what you're doing Adam.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
I've got relatives on the Michigan side within 45 minutes from my home, so shipping into the states isn't a problem. Then you just print out a receipt, not necessarily for the amount you paid for the item, and give that to customs and pay the duty on that price.
I've done it a lot and haven't had a problem.
My favourite thing to do is take the item out of the box and rub some dust or dirt on it, and print up a receipt saying it's used. Did that with a brand new Warn 9000 winch and told the chick at the booth (that didn't even know what a winch is) that i bought it for 100 bucks cause "it had a fried solenoid". :D

Anyways, most of the bigger ticket stuff that i bring across, no one knows what it is, or what it's value is, so i rarely pay any duty at all. They like seeing a bill of sale, even if it's hand-written, as long as you have two different signatures on it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts