Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Would I need a different carrier for a 14 bolt SF 6-lug with 3.73 gears and the same for a dana 44 6-lug with 3.73 if I wanted to go with 4.56 gears?

2. How much stronger are the D44's with 8-lugs compared to the 6-lug versions? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
1. The front you can use you carrier I'm not sure if that is as big as you can go or if you have to get specail gears for that carrier but I do know there is a set of 4.56 for a 3.73 carrier.

2. The axel shafts are the same in 6 and 8 lug the only differnce is all 8 lug are a big bearing and only some of the last 6 lugs had the big bearing the rest used a smaller bearing. an 8 lung is ~2in wider than a 6 lug. So basicly no difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
GMC said:
1. Would I need a different carrier for a 14 bolt SF 6-lug with 3.73 gears and the same for a dana 44 6-lug with 3.73 if I wanted to go with 4.56 gears?

2. How much stronger are the D44's with 8-lugs compared to the 6-lug versions? Thanks.
1. Not sure on the SF14. D44 has a carrier break at 3.73-Down and 3.92-Up. So you would need a new carrier for the front.

2. Mostly just in the difference between 6 7/16 wheel studs vs 8 9/16 wheel studs. Basically the same unit w/different outers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,175 Posts
1. 14 bolt is same carrier for all ratios. Don't think there are any thick gears in 4.56:1 for the 44.

2. Only thing stronger is the lugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
I'm not 100% on the 4.56 thick gears but I know I could have got 4.88's in a thick gear for my dana 44 but I went with a posi and normal 4.88's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
4x4realm said:
I'm not 100% on the 4.56 thick gears but I know I could have got 4.88's in a thick gear for my dana 44 but I went with a posi and normal 4.88's

do you still have the thick 4.88s??? I will want it/them, maybe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
i got a 14ff and am puttin new gears in, i have never replaced gears, do you think i could remove the carrier and install the new R&P and then tow it to a shop to set backlash and whatever other adjustmens to cut down on labor costs? what i mean is with no schooling in this is it possible? i've done lots of motorwork and an axle swap and broken down my 12 bolt all the way, but never a full floater. are there any bearings i HAVE to replace?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
If you dont have the tools or know how I would let someone else do it from start to finish.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,659 Posts
Do it all your self or let them do it. Take your time and you should not have any trouble.
Nothing worse than having someone bring something in half done. My labor cost is the same because of how long it takes to figure out what they really have going on.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
we just swapped out 4.56's for 5.13 in a d44 and 14b. we also added front locker in the d44. it's a little time consuming but not very difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
rockmup said:
Do it all your self or let them do it. Take your time and you should not have any trouble.
Nothing worse than having someone bring something in half done. My labor cost is the same because of how long it takes to figure out what they really have going on.
Good luck.
setting backlash is my main fear. i don't want to pull the cover three months from now and see a wear pattern from hell! but i guess with some help from you guys i could do it. how much is a dial indicator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
I tried it once and made my pumpkin glow! Oops, had to take it to a shop and they fixed it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,659 Posts
You can get cheap magnetic indicator stands from Harbor Freight but don't cheap out on the dial. You get what you pay for.
I think the last one was 35.00 from Enco in sparks Nev. I belive that Randys R/P sells install kits that include the tools. I'm sure others do too.
So long as you set it right befor you close it up you should have no problem. Take your time and have the beer when your done.
Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
rockmup said:
You can get cheap magnetic indicator stands from Harbor Freight but don't cheap out on the dial. You get what you pay for.
I think the last one was 35.00 from Enco in sparks Nev. I belive that Randys R/P sells install kits that include the tools. I'm sure others do too.
So long as you set it right befor you close it up you should have no problem. Take your time and have the beer when your done.
Have fun!
beer sounds good. . . slightly illegal though :mad: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:



:D :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top