Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know exactly what is involved?
Found myself an H054/H072 (can't frikken tell which!) with 4.10 gears and a Detroit, but I'd like to put a 14Bolt Detroit and finer spline axles into it. I've heard it is possible but no one seems to know if it is a drop in or what sort of grinding or machining is necessary.
Also the drivetrain shop I called about getting new bearings etc. said they are weak (this is the 10.? inch ring gear version, not the 12.25") and tend to snap ring gear bolts. Is he smoking crack or what?

I'm sure all you Chevy guys will be glad to know this axle will be going under my Bronco.... :eek:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There's a Detroit for the Eaton on eBay right now.

IDK about putting a 14B Detroit in, but the "small" and "large" Eaton full floaters are the same internally.

Are you sure it has 4.10 gears? I think that's a ratio that wasn't offered then, but you can get it now from Randy's Ring & Pinion....originally would have come with 4.57 or 5.13 gears if my info is correct

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a Detroit that came in this unit, but it is setup for the 17 spline axles and I'd rather go with a few more splines for strength sake.
The big 12.25" ring gear Etons may have ony come with 4.56 or higher gears, but the smaller ones (like I have) were available with 3.73, 3.90, and 4.10 gears.
The one I have still has the original GM R&P- 40 teeth on the ring gear, 10 on the pinion.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Are you sure it's the full floater that you have? I've just never heard of them coming with any other gears.

Also I think the 12.25" ones came in heavier (1.5 ton) trucks...my friend's dad has one with 6.17 gears....

40 and 10 teeth gives a ratio of 4.00.....count them again

Can you measure the length of the shafts? I have some 14 bolt shafts I can compare them to and see if it's feasible. I have a feeling you're going to need two long 14 bolt shafts (they have a long and a short side) and have them cut down....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, I think I know what a full floater axle is! :flipoff2:
You are right on the R&P, I just went and counted again, 41 ring, 10 pinion. I picked up a spare third member at the yard but I haven't checked the ratio on it yet.
I'll measure the shaft length and post them.
I'll get some pics up too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The eaton under my blazer came out of a '72 K20 and has factory 4.10 gears in it. I'd just run the course spline axle. If you start breaking them then worry about a change. All the big rig trucks I've worked on had course spline axles in them.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
OffRoadPoser said:
Damn, I think I know what a full floater axle is! :flipoff2:
Well, you're a NEWBIE so I don't know what you know

:flipoff2: ya NEWB!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If you take about a 1/2" off the 14FF (SRW) axles then they're the same length as the Eaton's. I was going to Detroit the Eaton I had.... but it never happened. Still never found out for sure if the 14FF Detroit fits or not.

They came in a 4.10, 4.57, 4.88, and 5.12 ratio. The ring gear measures 10-1/8". Ring gear bolts snap??? Definitely too much crack. Bearings wear out, and eventually take their toll on the gears. Maybe some axle snappage on abusive applications.

The 12" mutha was the optional 10,000lb rear end for the 1-ton. It might be the same creature that got used on the big p-vans with 10-lug wheels right through the 70's... or not :confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this help you out?
I just put a body lift on my XJ Cherokee....
I bolted 10 "tornado" TB spacers together on my EFI Ford 350 and doubled the horsepower....
I think Thornbirds are the best off-road tire ever...
:smokin:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
u2slow said:
The 12" mutha was the optional 10,000lb rear end for the 1-ton.
And let me tell you it IS one bad mutha! My friend's is under a 69 GMC 3500 with a 4 speed manual. I never saw the truck run, but with a 4 speed and 6.17 gears, you can imagine it is a pulling SOB. I heard he pulled out a stuck loaded dump truck :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts