Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
14 bolt gov loc GReNADEDD

my 14 bolt started making some god awful noises pulled diff cover and the gov loc is definatley grenaded. This is a hauler not a crawler so should i fix the gov loc, get a ez locker/ lockright, etc. whats the common fix for when your gov lock takes a dump? anyone

·
Vendor
2,372 Posts
i would not run an ez locker thats for sure, you could purchase an open carrier since it is a hualer but they are expensive in the $270 range w/out spiders, look for a used one on ebay.

OR............You can gut the gov lok and run it open, take everything out and put spiders side gears and smooth thrust washers back in. usually there is alot of metal in there so you have to clean it, clean it, clean it to get everything moving properly again. I did it for a customer on his hauler about 6 months ago and he has not had any issue out of it since.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
If the 14 bolt is a semi-floater make sure you have enough spacers and friction plates in the center section to keep the c-clips in place.
If it is a full floater and the gears are OK and just the governor and flyweights are grenaded, clean as stated above. Add new friction discs and spacers (can be purchased from the dealer), leave a few of the old spacers in per side, leave the governor and flyweight parts out and drive it.
I've built a pretty tight LSD doing this with a couple of old 14 bolt FF's.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
why fix any of it? dime a dozen, for some sweat and less than the cost of new wheel bearings you can just get another axle.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OR............You can gut the gov lok and run it open, take everything out and put spiders side gears and smooth thrust washers back in. usually there is alot of metal in there so you have to clean it, clean it, clean it to get everything moving properly again. I did it for a customer on his hauler about 6 months ago and he has not had any issue out of it since.
It sounds like this is the ^ cheapest ways to go about it, gut the gov lok so its open im going to give it a shot.

If the 14 bolt is a semi-floater make sure you have enough spacers and friction plates in the center section to keep the c-clips in place.
If it is a full floater and the gears are OK and just the governor and flyweights are grenaded, clean as stated above. Add new friction discs and spacers (can be purchased from the dealer), leave a few of the old spacers in per side, leave the governor and flyweight parts out and drive it.
I've built a pretty tight LSD doing this with a couple of old 14 bolt FF's.
Its a full floater

why fix any of it? dime a dozen, for some sweat and less than the cost of new wheel bearings you can just get another axle.
its a 68 chevy so id have to cut the spring pads, can do but pain in the ass.

If i can get away with reusing what i got for a lot less that is the route im taking . ill be getting my hands into it first thing in the morning.
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled everything aprat today and spider gears, side gears trashed just about everything trashed. Im thinkin i need a new carrier, should i get an open carrier or another gov-loc on the cheap.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I agree with him and stand by my original statement. Strip the replacement carrier. Leave the governor and the flyweight out and add extra spacer and friction plates until they are level with the split in the carrier. Then install the gears. Make sure the plate is on the low side of the ramp and if the carrier will not fit together easily take spacers and plates out till it just does. Then run it. It will give you a tight LSD that will not explode. It is also cheap and easy to rebuild.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with him and stand by my original statement. Strip the replacement carrier. Leave the governor and the flyweight out and add extra spacer and friction plates until they are level with the split in the carrier. Then install the gears. Make sure the plate is on the low side of the ramp and if the carrier will not fit together easily take spacers and plates out till it just does. Then run it. It will give you a tight LSD that will not explode. It is also cheap and easy to rebuild.
so im looking for a gov-loc unit. anybody got one lying around, seems most people throw to the side when they put a detroit or etc in.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Should be easy to find locally. Take the little clips out and all the gov lock stuff and fill it up with discs and spacers.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
What kills gov locks is the sudden engagement of the locking mechanism. Your pic shows it pretty clearly, gov lock engaged, transfered power through the pinion gears to the other side gear and boom the weakest link took a crap.
Eliminate the gov lock and turn it into a tight LSD.
Your Gov lock mechanism is still intact which clearly shows you the weak link in the 14 bolt. (Not always the same in a 10 or 12 bolt).

15,440 Posts
I bought a whole 10 bolt axle with a govlock off Craigslist cheaper than just a 10 bolt govlock carrier goes for here or on ebay. Got the whole axle for 150. If you are not in a big hurry just start looking. Like others have said, an open diff (or Detroit) for a Towrig. The 10 bolt govlock I bought was for a 95 Burb that won't see hardcore trails, not a towrig.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Yep, pull em out and fill em with spacers or friction plates. Start closest to the inside, one plate, one friction, etc, till you fill er up minus the clips. Should be level with the casting ( per side) when you put it together.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, pull em out and fill em with spacers or friction plates. Start closest to the inside, one plate, one friction, etc, till you fill er up minus the clips. Should be level with the casting ( per side) when you put it together.
I see now. i know you said i could get the frictiond discs and spacers at a dealership, anywere on the net they can be purchased at?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Probably, I know the dealer ones may be pricey, but they are supposed to be made of some newer friction material that lasts a lot longer. I can't recall but there may be a site called "GM Parts Direct" or something like that. Try google on that one.

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
looks like mine did.

better check the y spider gear staft thingy, mine got bent and twisted and wouldnt fit in but one way.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Got a 14 bolt from muddrunner1968 thanks man. Sawpped my ring gear onto the new/used open carrier, and installed in my axle, and reset backlash etc. Everything thing seems smooth n quiet. :grinpimp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts