Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed gears, added a locker, shaved the housing, installed new bearings, and disc brake swapped a mid-70's junkyard 14 bolt... and already installed it in the truck. (I also have had a few other projects going on in the garage.) Now I have two identical snap rings laying on my bench, and I don't remember them being there before I started this project. I may have lost track of what I was doing, but I swear I remember installing snap rings in the hubs while I was doing the bearings. Can the hubs even be assembled without the snap rings?

They don't really look big enough for the 14 bolt hubs, so I googled 14 bolt snap rings to see what they are supposed to look like. The ones I have do not look like the outer hub snap rings that I have found pictures of. Mine have no nubs for the snap ring pliers to grip. The ones I have are just diagonally cut. I can't find dimensions for these anywhere. Does anyone have some 14 bolt snap rings laying around they could measure o.d./i.d. for me before I just take everything back apart to check?

·
Newb
3,129 Posts
Look up the diameter of the outer bearing race, the snap ring should be basically the same.

It can be assembled without it but if driven that bearing will move causing the nuts to loosen, bad doo doo.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look up the diameter of the outer bearing race, the snap ring should be basically the same.

It can be assembled without it but if driven that bearing will move causing the nuts to loosen, bad doo doo.
luckily, I haven't driven it yet, hell I haven't even taken the jack stands out from under the truck. Timken says the O.D. of the race is 3.25". I don't think the snap rings are even close to that size. I'll have to measure when I get to the house. If they aren't for the 14B, then I don't have to tear it all back apart, but what garage fairy dropped them off on my work bench?:unsure:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts