Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to swap my 14 bolt housings this week and when I went to slide the hubs on the spindles and neither one of the hubs wanted to slide on all the way. the outer bearing seems to be what is dragging like its an interference fit. So I measured that area of the spindle and on my new axle and the old one and there was a .001" difference. So does it sound like a bad idea to go around that part of the spindle a couple of time with a sand paper cartridge roll to knock that .001" off or not.

·
Registered
658 Posts
what was the original axle out of and what is the new one out of, that 001 should not make a differnce its to little and its not the specific. if you have a newer axle it mite be the seal, some of the seals have a two piece seal and one piece will stay on the spindle then the hub is removed not letting the new seal seat all the way.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Don't use a cartridge roll. Use a piece of wet/dry sand paper of at least 600 grit wrapped around and a shoe string wrapped around that and used to spin the sand paper along with some water.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Again, what is the axle out of and what are the hubs you are trying to use off of. There are actually 3 different kinds of 14bolt hubs. Two of them are interchangable with each other but the third style is unique. It has a different bearing spacing. Contrary to popular belief, not all 14bolts will interchange their hubs with each other and the last time I checked, this information is not in the 14bolt bible. It's a good complilation of info, but it's not the gospel.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
As far as I know there both out of late 70s trucks.
If that's the case, then you most likely don't have one of the unique style spindle/hub axles. Those are from later model (mid to late 90's) box vans.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out to the garage and looked at both sets of hubs and they look the same. so I pulled the bearings out of the hub and it seemed the out one was the one hanging up measured the inside of the bearing and the od of the spindle and came up with the spindle being anywhere from .004-.009 to big for the id of the bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts