Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which 14-bolts was it that had the thicker casting where the housing meets the tube? Was it all the 2nd gen ones or just specific ones?

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
the only ones ive seen it on are the 70" van and the 72" dually

they also have real axle tubes that dont taper/oval and they are 1/2" thick all the way

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
no i dont mean the taper where it goes into the casting, what i mean is on a regular 14b the axle tubes at both ends(at the spindle and at the diff) are 1/2" and round but in the length(between the ends) of the tube it tapers down to roughly 5/16" and it isnt perfectly round, just slightly oval.

the one youre after has true 1/2" tubes all the way through

normal 14b = 3-3/8 O.D. axle tubes
beefy 14b = 3-1/2" O.D. axle tubes

if that 89 3500 dually is a pickup with a normal bed and not a c&c with a flat/utility bed then yes that is the one. here is two pics to help identify the thicker casting.

normal 14b

thick badass 14b

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 93 model van width 14 bolt aside from have the thicker center section also has very minimal taper as it goes into the center section. Less than I recall seeing on many others and the tubes are also thicker in OD measuring in at 3 3/4".
Exactly as pictured above ^

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what I have then. It's a 1989 dualy but I never saw the original truck it came from. It's 63" wide which indicates that it is a C&C. I have another axle at the shop and I know the taper you're talking about on the tubes, the one at the shop has it, but this does not have them on either end that I can see. The tube goes straight from the housing to the brake drum flange. The cast housing rises 1/2" from the tube. I compared a quarter to it and it appears to be somewhere between your two pics. Not as thin as the thin one but not as thick as the thick one. That could just be camera trickery though. This one has the ribs indicative of the 2nd gen housing but the brake backing plate is on the back of the hubs, not slip-on the front.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
the first pic is of a 1st gen SRW (67.5ish) 14b

my 1st gen DRW (63.5ish) 14b under the rear of my buggy also has slightly thicker casting then the first pic as you describe, but the tubes have the same oval/taper to them.

the second pic is of a 1st gen DRW (72ish) 14b, if you need pics i also have a second gen DRW (72ish) 14b

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This oval / taper you keep referring to, I see them as two different things.

Oval = the tube is not round the entire length. My buddy learned this when he built a front out of a Gen1 axle. He had to have the tubes turned round to get the knuckles to center well.

Taper = the tube gets smaller as it goes into the housing, as seen on the left in this pic:

This is not to be confused with a round tube that has been machined to the correct interference fit to be pressed into the housing, which is completely different than what I am referring to as a taper.

Are we on the same page with these terms?

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
This oval / taper you keep referring to, I see them as two different things.

Oval = the tube is not round the entire length. My buddy learned this when he built a front out of a Gen1 axle. He had to have the tubes turned round to get the knuckles to center well.

Taper = the tube gets smaller as it goes into the housing, as seen on the left in this pic:

This is not to be confused with a round tube that has been machined to the correct interference fit to be pressed into the housing, which is completely different than what I am referring to as a taper.

Are we on the same page with these terms?

you are correct but the reason i refer to taper along with oval is because not only does it turn oval shaped but it goes from 1/2" thick down to 5/16" thick, im not the greatest with terminology :homer: so im probably using the wrong word to describe it getting thinner.

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm picking up what you're laying down. :)

But are you saying the thickness comes off the outside or inside of the tube on the tapered tubes? (My 3.5" measurement was taken right at the brake drum flange, BTW.)

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I think I'm picking up what you're laying down. :)

But are you saying the thickness comes off the outside or inside of the tube on the tapered tubes? (My 3.5" measurement was taken right at the brake drum flange, BTW.)
im assuming it comes off the outside which would explain the 3-3/8" tubes(where the u bolts go) but it is 3-1/2" at the ends

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
when you cut it up for a steering axle please update this thread, ive got a 72" i was gonna cut down to c&c width and weld new spindles on to replace the 1st gen c&c in the rear of my buggy because its got the thin casting and tubes that get thinner. if that thing is 1/2" all the way through i will skip cutting my 72" down and just get one of those :smokin:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts