Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
i currently have 4 of the thick casting extra ribbing heavy duty beefy 14b axles(not counting the 14b front in my buggy), 3 srw and 1 drw(72") and not one of them has pull off brake drums, all of them are thick beefy casting and all of them have the drums behind the hubs. i can take pictures of them if you dont believe me :flipoff2: i believe you that the pull off drums exist but none of mine are :laughing: my guess is mid/late 90s they switched to the pull off drums but the early 90s thick casting 14b's have the drums behind the hubs like mine do.
Can you get a decently accurate measurement of the OD of the thick casting and wall thickness where it meets the tube?

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
i currently have 4 of the thick casting extra ribbing heavy duty beefy 14b axles(not counting the 14b front in my buggy), 3 srw and 1 drw(72") and not one of them has pull off brake drums, all of them are thick beefy casting and all of them have the drums behind the hubs. i can take pictures of them if you dont believe me :flipoff2: i believe you that the pull off drums exist but none of mine are :laughing: my guess is mid/late 90s they switched to the pull off drums but the early 90s thick casting 14b's have the drums behind the hubs like mine do.

Okay I'm just trying to put down what we all know to be correct. All of the ones from the mid 90's body style I have seen are 65" WMS and have pull of drums.

Whats the WMS on your SRW?

I just bought a 14b out of a SRW 87' K30. No ribs but not the thinnest casting.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Can you get a decently accurate measurement of the OD of the thick casting and wall thickness where it meets the tube?

the diff cover side of the casting is flat so it gets narrower at that point but every where else the OD of the casting is 4-3/4", the casting is 5/8" thick and the tubes are 3.5"

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Okay I'm just trying to put down what we all know to be correct. All of the ones from the mid 90's body style I have seen are 65" WMS and have pull of drums.

Whats the WMS on your SRW?

I just bought a 14b out of a SRW 87' K30. No ribs but not the thinnest casting.
that picture to me is a thin casting, i would have not bought it :flipoff2:

i will get a wms measurement later this evening

·
Premium Member
12,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
that picture to me is a thin casting, i would have not bought it :flipoff2:

i will get a wms measurement later this evening
I'm no expert, but I agree. Thin casting. I've had both at different times. The thick castings all had ribs.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
First 2 are from a early to mid 70's. Thin.... and already cracking and leaking from the rosette welds. No ribs.

3 - 5 are the 98' Van 70" SRW with drums behind the drum. Lots of ribs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Not sure this helps at all or adds relevant info, but on my project Suburban HD build I cut the factory rear FF14 to build a front steer with. For the new rear axle, I traded a Jeep driveshaft for what was said to be a "big 14 that was too damn big for the Jeep" the guy was building. I was told it was from a 2011 model big box van Chev dually rear, but don't know any more than that on exact vehicle. It measures 74" WMS, has 4" tubes that appeared to be roughly 5/8" thick roughly throughout, no taper, thick casting roughly 3/4" thick where tubes enter, standard 6 bolt pin support and big disc brakes.

I threw a link bridge over top, drilled/tapped for ARB and put a set of Ruffstuff D80 spring perches on that I modified to sandwich with a second set of Ruffstuff spring plates to eliminate the U-bolts in favor of standard 5/8" grade 8s. The D80 parts fit like a glove but will now be removed as build ran off the tracks and is headed entirely different direction now. Anyway, this is a bigger 14 than mentioned thus far but I'm not entirely sure what it came from exactly. It's biggest 14 I've seen without a doubt and I've had a bunch over the years. I'd like to find another like it for spare shafts- the long side shaft measures just over 1" longer than the longest CTL axle for 14B I can find listed anywhere aftermarket. I believe they were 37 1/4 short and 42 3/4 on long side. I'd have to go double check to be sure. Regardless, it's a big bastard.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I found one in a yard today. It was still under the van, against a tree line and I was basically crawling in poison ivy and pretty surprised right now I didn't get bit by a snake. It was definitely a big 14 bolt. I "think" 3.5" tubes, for sure not 4". Casting looked thicker than normal but I couldn't verify much considering it was still under the van and the situation I was in. Yard said they wanted $450 so I said thanks but no thanks and left.
They are $90 at express pull n save.

Also, I have an early/mid 70s 3/4t 14b that is really thin. The casting is only 1/4" thick or so, and the tube is only 3.300 where it enters (necked down). It is a regular ol 67" wms srw with small drums.

And I have a "medium" casting, heavier than the aforementioned, but not ribbed. 63" drw, huge drums.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
man soo much bad info out there
This. I'd take a thread full of pictures and quarters over what some other website has to say. People write those articles by Google searching and reading threads like this. Forums like ours are often the primary source a lot of the time (which kind of sucks because accuracy varies wildly on any topic off the beaten path).

Too bad someone at GM can't chime in with actual specs and applications.

(Hint: it would be a good opportunity for them to build reputation with the community and promote their product.)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Not sure this helps at all or adds relevant info, but on my project Suburban HD build I cut the factory rear FF14 to build a front steer with. For the new rear axle, I traded a Jeep driveshaft for what was said to be a "big 14 that was too damn big for the Jeep" the guy was building. I was told it was from a 2011 model big box van Chev dually rear, but don't know any more than that on exact vehicle. It measures 74" WMS, has 4" tubes that appeared to be roughly 5/8" thick roughly throughout, no taper, thick casting roughly 3/4" thick where tubes enter, standard 6 bolt pin support and big disc brakes.

I threw a link bridge over top, drilled/tapped for ARB and put a set of Ruffstuff D80 spring perches on that I modified to sandwich with a second set of Ruffstuff spring plates to eliminate the U-bolts in favor of standard 5/8" grade 8s. The D80 parts fit like a glove but will now be removed as build ran off the tracks and is headed entirely different direction now. Anyway, this is a bigger 14 than mentioned thus far but I'm not entirely sure what it came from exactly. It's biggest 14 I've seen without a doubt and I've had a bunch over the years. I'd like to find another like it for spare shafts- the long side shaft measures just over 1" longer than the longest CTL axle for 14B I can find listed anywhere aftermarket. I believe they were 37 1/4 short and 42 3/4 on long side. I'd have to go double check to be sure. Regardless, it's a big bastard.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Actually this is extremely helpful. I've been told this axle exists but never seen one or verified with my own eyes. They're pretty rare because from what I can tell it's only in really late model vans. So far I've only been told about one from a 2010 and now yours from a 2011. Not sure what other years/models could be out there. I do know it's a perfect candidate for what I want to do, which is to build a bombproof front with 4" tubes without a fuck load of machining. Can you get pictures of the tubes and casting?

This. I'd take a thread full of pictures and quarters over what some other website has to say. People write those articles by Google searching and reading threads like this. Forums like ours are often the primary source a lot of the time (which kind of sucks because accuracy varies wildly on any topic off the beaten path).
Agreed, thanks to everyone with a quarter in their pocket and a smartphone. This is the kind of tech pirate used to be about :smokin:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
1st is under a 85 srw k30 crew. No ribs.
20160817_065543.jpg

2nd is under a 95 k2500 suburban, originally a 6.5 diesel. Ribbed center. Apparently leaking from a plug weld, now that i look closer...
20160817_065642.jpg

And they are sideways. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Newb question but how much of an advantage is the thick ribbed housing? I have one of each. The ribbed one is the stock one in my 90 v3500 with 4.10s with a gov-lock and I bought a cucv one I was going to put under it because I bought another 60 with 4.56s.
Is it worth swapping the carrier and detroit? I was gonna get a disk brake kit from GubNi for the cucv one and call it good, but now having second thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Newb question but how much of an advantage is the thick ribbed housing? I have one of each. The ribbed one is the stock one in my 90 v3500 with 4.10s with a gov-lock and I bought a cucv one I was going to put under it because I bought another 60 with 4.56s.
Is it worth swapping the carrier and detroit? I was gonna get a disk brake kit from GubNi for the cucv one and call it good, but now having second thoughts.
It's worth it if you do the gear swap yourself. The axles will have to be out to do the swap anyway. More beef = more better.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
arse_sidewards:37957409 said:
It's worth it if you do the gear swap yourself. The axles will have to be out to do the swap anyway. More beef = more better.
They're both out right now, the truck is on stands. I know fuck all about setting up gears though.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
They're both out right now, the truck is on stands. I know fuck all about setting up gears though.
it's much more forgiving than people make it out to be

get halfway decent tooth contact and they'll wear in the rest of the contact, happy as can be

Plus side is how easy 14bs are to learn on, the adjustments are both mindblowingly easy to work back and forth until you get it good as you can.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Well, here she is. I finally got my hands on one. This has to be the stoutest 14 bolt I've ever seen. This is the perfect axle for my 14 front build.

housing: 2010 Chevy 3500 Van dually to the best of my knowledge
WMS is like 74", it's wide AF
5/8" casting all the way around, no flat spot
4" factory tubes, 1/2" wall.
Factory 1480 yoke

Attachments

61 - 80 of 119 Posts