Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Wow, you found one... That's awesome.....

Now I think this is more than rare..... I have never seen a dually Van in person........

I'll buy one if I see one available. But I'm not holding my breath. Good for you bud...

So what's the plan? 05'+ Ford outers?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Wow, you found one... That's awesome.....

Now I think this is more than rare..... I have never seen a dually Van in person........

I'll buy one if I see one available. But I'm not holding my breath. Good for you bud...

So what's the plan? 05'+ Ford outers?
Yea, I got lucky. They are around but you have to look hard. I did not see the vehicle but I think it's some sort of box truck thing, not your typical square body work van. But, that's just speculation on my part.

I've got a build thread on hardline, but short version is 4" bore Reid super kingpin knuckles, 4" 1/4" wall tube, unit bearings, RCV big bells that engage the unit bearing directly, 40 spline inners, spool and 4340 yoke from 40spline.com.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Yea, I got lucky. They are around but you have to look hard. I did not see the vehicle but I think it's some sort of box truck thing, not your typical square body work van. But, that's just speculation on my part.

I've got a build thread on hardline, but short version is 4" bore Reid super kingpin knuckles, 4" 1/4" wall tube, unit bearings, RCV big bells that engage the unit bearing directly, 40 spline inners, spool and 4340 yoke from 40spline.com.
Okay by buddy has a few Diesel vans and I don't think any of them run the 14b. I think they are all the Super 70. Dana 70 with more bolts on the cover. I'll take some pics next time l'm at his shop.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Glad you found one! I'm swapping my 1480 yoke to AAM11.5 flange with new style seal to handle fully flanged 1480s- that yoke only BARELY clears a ruffstuff pinion guard. It's tight. Now that I think about it, I can't recall if it will spin inside the guard or not? Anyway, These are beef for sure.

Since you're building a front- what's your plans for the shafts? I have yet to find another for spares myself.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Glad you found one! I'm swapping my 1480 yoke to AAM11.5 flange with new style seal to handle fully flanged 1480s- that yoke only BARELY clears a ruffstuff pinion guard. It's tight. Now that I think about it, I can't recall if it will spin inside the guard or not? Anyway, These are beef for sure.

Since you're building a front- what's your plans for the shafts? I have yet to find another for spares myself.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Going with 40 spline inners, big 2.5 ton RCV bell with integrated 32 spline stub that engages the unit bearing.

If you're interested, I'll sell you the shafts out of this one. I don't need them. $100? Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
all that money and parts why not go 2" inside the diff with an ouverson 14b diff or a ford 10" diff or the new HP torq 14b diff with the larger carrier bearings? 40 spline inners holding up fine with the bigger joints?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
all that money and parts why not go 2" inside the diff with an ouverson 14b diff or a ford 10" diff or the new HP torq 14b diff with the larger carrier bearings? 40 spline inners holding up fine with the bigger joints?
I hear that a lot but even when you're spending $8k on an axle build, that doesn't mean another $2-3K for a fabbed housing and dropout is any easier to swallow. Basically the money I saved going junkyard center paid for my uber bling RCVs. I have yet to see anyone break a 40 spline shaft either. I'm running a Torq Super 14 rear 40 spline and those shafts laugh at what I do to them.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
I hear that a lot but even when you're spending $8k on an axle build, that doesn't mean another $2-3K for a fabbed housing and dropout is any easier to swallow. Basically the money I saved going junkyard center paid for my uber bling RCVs. I have yet to see anyone break a 40 spline shaft either. I'm running a Torq Super 14 rear 40 spline and those shafts laugh at what I do to them.
i apologize if my question came across as negative i was just simply curious on your reasoning why you went the route you did, makes perfect sense and thank you for answering :smokin:

edit; and i feel you, i just purchased some bling 300m d60 RCV's :laughing: my 3-4k$ engine swap in the buggy turned into a 16k$ overhaul

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
i apologize if my question came across as negative i was just simply curious on your reasoning why you went the route you did, makes perfect sense and thank you for answering :smokin:

edit; and i feel you, i just purchased some bling 300m d60 RCV's :laughing: my 3-4k$ engine swap in the buggy turned into a 16k$ overhaul
It's all good man. Didn't come across as negative at all.

I always laugh when someone is like, yea I'm just gonna swap in this little 6.0 in place of my 4.3, got a great deal for $1500. I'm like, yea better start saving to rebuild the drivetrain after everything is broken :laughing:

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
past 4 yrs ive been running 14b axles front and rear with a toyota 4cyl so the drive train has always been pretty stout :laughing: but now with the new motor i figured the yukon shafts with longfield joints should get replaced with RCV shafts(among many other expensive "might as well" parts) :homer: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Thought I'd mention our 2016 Silverado 2500 6.0 truck has a 4" tube 14 bolt that looks like the one redneckengineered posted above. Assuming the latest generation 14 bolt is 4" and doesn't have the flat spots on the back of center where the tubes press in.
wow that's great news. As that will be VERY easy to find WAAAAY easier than a dually van 14b....

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Looking for more info on this axle. Found on another forum, owner claims 4" 1/2" wall tubes, and thicker than normal casting where the tube presses into the housing...from a 90s squarebody G30 van. That's all the info I have. Wondering if anyone can confirm these specs and if there's other models/years to look for.
I measured the axle when i got back from offshore (sorry for the delay in updating this thread). The axle only has 3.5" tubes. I cant confirm the thickness of the tubes as Im using it as as rear and dont want to cut into it. The center section measured around 0.65" and is constant all the way around. If i ever turn it into a rear steer axle, i will update this thread with the tube thickness.

The rear you picked up is pure beef and should be bombproof once your complete with it. Thanks for posting up the parts list and costs. Puts everything into perspective for those wanting to to build one.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Thought I'd mention our 2016 Silverado 2500 6.0 truck has a 4" tube 14 bolt that looks like the one redneckengineered posted above. Assuming the latest generation 14 bolt is 4" and doesn't have the flat spots on the back of center where the tubes press in.
wow that's great news. As that will be VERY easy to find WAAAAY easier than a dually van 14b....
Very cool. Finding the damn vans is a PITA. Looks like the future of beef 14 bolt builds is bright.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Okay next order of business is to find out what year they started the bigger tubes and non flat spot.

Looks like 08'-14' HD's look the same on the front clips. 15'+ looks like they updated the front. I wonder if the axle change happened with that.

Maybe we can see what the different years had...

6.0L 2500HD would all (01'-present) have the 14b.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Okay next order of business is to find out what year they started the bigger tubes and non flat spot.

Looks like 08'-14' HD's look the same on the front clips. 15'+ looks like they updated the front. I wonder if the axle change happened with that.

Maybe we can see what the different years had...

6.0L 2500HD would all (01'-present) have the 14b.
This is purely going off the few housings I've seen with the 4" tubes, no flat spot and massive casting but they seemed to start appearing around 2010.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts