Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
How much did he spend? It would be nice if the newer 14 bolts are still somewhat cheap to get.

I believe the 14B bible needs updating.
As Andrew said, I paid $550 for it. Didn't argue too much as the price was right and the axle is just brand spanking new everything.

I plan on putting 05+ SD outers on it, 40 spline spool and making a rear steer axle that can withstand a lot of abuse for a killer price.

I really wanted the 4" tube version, that way there is no retubing/costly machining or anything, just bore the C's to 4", chop the tubes where needed and voila.

BTW, if you guys need any measurements/pictures of the axle, just ask before I cut it all up.

Edit : I went back to the garage to get some measurements as I couldn't wait.

WMS width is 72"

Tubes are a tad over 4" in diameter with a big taper at the outers :

I used the circumference trick as I didn't have calipers handy.

There is 58" of straight 4" tube from one taper to the other one.

Casting is .700" at the tube

Only problem I see : There is a drain plug in the casting right in the cutting line if I wanted to turn it into a 13 bolt. I guess I'll have to completely shave it or just live with it.

Once cut up, I'm gonna put the outers for sale. If someone wants a set of brand new spindles/hubs/brakes for a fabricated housing that would be a great buy.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Only problem I see : There is a drain plug in the casting right in the cutting line if I wanted to turn it into a 13 bolt. I guess I'll have to completely shave it or just live with it.
I literally just discovered this little issue the other night as I was getting ready to mark the cut line for my 13 bolt cover. I don't want to do a full shave. Does anyone have any ideas on that? I thought about just cutting and welding the hole but feel like it'll leak like hell.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
I literally just discovered this little issue the other night as I was getting ready to mark the cut line for my 13 bolt cover. I don't want to do a full shave. Does anyone have any ideas on that? I thought about just cutting and welding the hole but feel like it'll leak like hell.
Ya all of the newer (with disc) 14's came with the drain. It pretty much makes you do a shave kit....

Also if you guys have another 01'+ 14 kicking around, are there any differences between the 4" version and the earlier? You posted 72" WMS was it a SRW or Dually? My 04' was 68.5" WMS SRW 2500HD.....

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Can't you just weld the hole and pop the cover to drain? A drain plug is nice and all but that system has worked for about a century and counting.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Can't you just weld the hole and pop the cover to drain? A drain plug is nice and all but that system has worked for about a century and counting.
Yea it wasn't pulling the cover to drain I was worried about, it is the risk of a constant leak annoying the piss out of me.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Fun fact. The cover bolts on the late model 4" tube 14 bolts are metric! I had a nice fabricated diff cover that comes with bolts, did the RTV dance, and proceeded to smear shit all over the damn place trying to thread bolts in until it dawned on me that they may be metric. FAWK! Found some metric bolts and it all went together but I wasn't expecting that.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Has anyone tried the Ballistic or TMR shave plate on a newer housing, either the style with a drain plug or the latest 4" version?
I ran a TMR on a 04' housing (Drain Plug). I needed to add some material to one of the sides. Something like 3/8"x 3/8"x 1-1/2" in a moon shape. Not a big deal but..............

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
TMR doesn't spec out a different plate for the ribbed vs non-ribbed like Ballistic does. Do you think it is a differnce like that? Seems I remember seeing an original Ballistic on a ribbed housing when they first came out and had a slightly different shape and why they came out with the newer style version. Or is it that the drain plug style are even more slightly different?

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
TMR doesn't spec out a different plate for the ribbed vs non-ribbed like Ballistic does. Do you think it is a differnce like that? Seems I remember seeing an original Ballistic on a ribbed housing when they first came out and had a slightly different shape and why they came out with the newer style version. Or is it that the drain plug style are even more slightly different?
For sure they are different. But its not that big of a deal, add a little and your set. Problem is the TMR is ~$140/$380 with cover and Ballistic ~$290. At that price you would want them to fit perfectly.....

Well to be honest at that price I want them to be made out of AR plate. So I don't have to plate them with AR after they get welded in........

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
For sure. I ordered the Ballistic ribbed housing version last weekend on their sale. $217 shipped for a cover and all, now to find a housing. Was curious if maybe should just find an early version of the ribbed housing vs the later drain plug style if there might be some fitment issues. I have some AR plate to laminate on the bottom like my current rear too.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm bringing this 3.5 year old thread back from the dead because it seems to have the most info on the 4" tube 14 bolt that's in late model gas 3/4 tons.

I found one for a price I like, but the bolt pattern is 8 on 180mm.

It seems that they went to the 4" tube and 8 x 180mm bolt pattern at the same time, in 2011.

Has anyone re-drilled these to 8 on 6.5", or have a photo of the back side of the wheel hub?

I'm gonna pick it up anyway, if I can't re-drill it, then it's a good excuse to cut the ends off and go 40 spline (WOD or ECGS)

101 - 119 of 119 Posts