Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 4x4 project vehicle that I'm getting back to working on that has a 14-Bolt FF rear axle. I've not been out looking around in the 4x4 world lately to know if anything new has been introduced for the 14 bolt rear axle?? I've been considering a Detroit Locker however if there is anything else like a ARB or electric locker I'd sure like to hear about it's availability.

I'm going to post in the "Wanted" forum for a used 14-Bolt Detroit Locker however I'd sure appreciate any referrals/suggestions on where the 'good deal' exists for purchasing a new Detroit Locker.

Thanks!!

Gone 'XPLRN'

PS.....If anyone has a reccomendation of a particular add-on diff cover(14-bolt) protection manufacturer I'd certainly appreciate the referral.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Detroit is the best dif IMO
I wouldnt consider anything else, my new 1978 ford has them front and rear

the best deal I have seen is available in the P4x4 Vendor section.

·
Registered
486 Posts
weld that fawker and dont look back. but if you want to drop some cash, you can get an ARB now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KWTMECH said:
ARB is available
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the ARB availability!! I did locate the RD114 part number on the ARB website for the 10.5" FF Corperate 14-bolt axle. I'll have to check with some of the P 4x4 vendors and see what kind of price they have on that unit.

The other suggestions, Lincoln Locker and spool are options I probably won't pursue. I'd like to have decent turning capabilities off-road as I've got a little excess front OA weight with the 6.2 TD engine. It's got the "lighter" Dana 44 front axle so I'm trying to avoid stressing the axle/axle shafts by not installing something in the rear diff that will want to "push" that front end around a corner.

If any other manufacturers of a stout/reliable traction device besides the stand-by Detroit Locker come to mind I'd sure like to hear about them. Thanks!

'XPLRN'

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Teraflex is also supposed to have a T-locker out for it which is like an ARB...

I think Tractech also sells a Tru-trac for them too... But thats an LSD.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
XPLRN said:
The other suggestions, Lincoln Locker and spool are options I probably won't pursue. I'd like to have decent turning capabilities off-road as I've got a little excess front OA weight with the 6.2 TD engine. It's got the "lighter" Dana 44 front axle so I'm trying to avoid stressing the axle/axle shafts by not installing something in the rear diff that will want to "push" that front end around a corner.
I really can't see that being a problem. If a rear spool or welded diff puts too much stress on the front axle by simply turning, than you better never go off-road because the first time you try to climb any obstacle the entire front axle will explode into dust..........

·
Registered
486 Posts
yea i wouldnt worry about the rear pushing the front around unless you are in 2wd and its muddy or snowy/wet

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
i welded the 14ff in my k5 and wouldn't ever go back. cheap and works fine. i dont see how it would push the front end in cornering since the front is open and able to turn. i've never heard of the front letting going because the rear was spooled/welded. *shrug*

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Krylon.. said:
Teraflex is also supposed to have a T-locker out for it which is like an ARB...
I did contact Teraflex and was informed that there will not be any futher development work on the 14-bolt FF T-locker for 6 months to a year. Sounds like they are REAL busy with just trying to keep up with their current product line, that is great that their business is booming!!

Anybody drving their spooled/Lincoln Locked 14-bolt FF equipped vehicle on the street with any regularity?? I'm curious as to how the rear tires wear?? I have quite a bit of rear OA weight so the rear tires will have more load on them than say a pickup would

Thanks to everyone for their input on the 14-bolt FF axle situation. Since this vehicle(4x4 van) will also be utilized for street usage/road trips I'm leaning towards either a Detroit or ARB setup.....time will tell!! IF anyone has a DL sitting around on a shelf not being utilized shoot me a PM with a price.

'XPLRN'

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Why go spool? I can't believe any wheeler installs a spool in an axle that will accept a detroit. Detroit's aren't that much more expensive. A spool (or welded diff) will cause excessive tire wear, IMO. Not that the detroit is much better, but it is definitely better, tire-wear wise. Also, before tires break loose in high traction situations, the detroit will give some, with its ratcheting, so it's easier on axles and R&Ps than a spool or welded diff.

The van's rear weight will help tame the detroit's unfavorable on-road characteristics, namely the sudden jerk when letting off the gas on a curve.

·
Registered
154 Posts
4x4Poet said:
Why go spool? I can't believe any wheeler installs a spool in an axle that will accept a detroit. Detroit's aren't that much more expensive. A spool (or welded diff) will cause excessive tire wear, IMO. Not that the detroit is much better, but it is definitely better, tire-wear wise. Also, before tires break loose in high traction situations, the detroit will give some, with its ratcheting, so it's easier on axles and R&Ps than a spool or welded diff.

The van's rear weight will help tame the detroit's unfavorable on-road characteristics, namely the sudden jerk when letting off the gas on a curve.

I agree.. I was going to weld the rear of my truck and detroit the front... I ponied up the extra $375 and got a detroit for the rear.... works great... love it and glad I did it... funny how when you are at a stop and hit the gas... turn... the rear tires BARK ... it is funny to see peoples faces...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
there aren't many options because the Detroit is so damn reliable, unbreakable and cheap (especially compared to an ARB!). Hard combo to beat. I run them front and rear in my rig and wouldn't have it any other way.

j

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
jekbrown said:
there aren't many options because the Detroit is so damn reliable, unbreakable and cheap (especially compared to an ARB!).
I don't usually get into the ARB vs. Detroit pissing contests because they both have their pros and cons and this has been bantered back and forth way too many times...however the 14 bolt Detroit is not one you can argue your point on except that it is cheap. I have seen more broken Detroit 14 bolt units than any other model Detroit (well okay not counting the D35 model, but that's not a real axle :D ). They went the cheap route and only offer a drop in lunch box style. The ARB is a full carrier replacement that'll hold more load than any lunch box unit period.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
yeah, good point... the ff14b detroit definitely isn't 100% bomb proof. It is pretty dang strong though, and even if it does break... a new carrier for a ff14b is what? $50?

j

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
does anyone have a side by side comparo of the detroit 14ff and lets say one from a d70 to compare component size.
the 14ff detroit is nothing like a 'lunch box locker' IMO
no goofy spring loaded pins to fail like a LBL

are you saying the carrier fails and needs to be replaced to make the 14ff strong?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Man weld that sucker up and dont look back.Save your money and spend it where its gonna help you even more off road.Any locker is gonna be locked up in a corner under power so whats the difference?UNless you opt for the big money ARB's there all gonna act very similar.One bad thing about the detroit or any other locker is that it will act quirky while cornering and you get on and off the gas.Welded or spooled will act the same ALL the time.I ran a welded 14 bolt in daily driven 1 ton chevy pickup for about a year and yes there was a little more tire wear than "normal" but it wasnt excessive.And to be honest the only time I didnt care for it was when I was driving on ice and even then a locker would have acted the same........just my .02...... :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
my 14 bolt had the stock gov-loc and worked like a posi all the time let me just say i broke the pinion teeth before the gov-loc came close to breaking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts