Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

Thansk for all the tips on springs to use in the rear of a YJ with full widths and 14 bolt. I have decided to go in a home built custom route, most likely a mix of XJ and Waggy springs, adding some wheelbase to the Jeep.

I saw some pics from the gang, like in Texas Blake YJ (nice work btw), and similar setups, and gas tanks are still in the original position. Will the 14 bolt slam against the gas tank, when flexing, or will the SOA and about an inch spring height be enough to prevent that? I have some scratches in the tank skid from when I had a 44 with SUA, from the axle flexing and hitting that area. The Jeep has one 1 body lift, so I may just move the tank up a notch, but wanted to avoid the fuel cell route for now if possible.

Suggestions?

Gui

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Youll be fine Gui. I had my rear 60 Directly under my gas tank with about 1-2 inches on clearance. When flexing there was never any contact because the center of the axel doesnt move up nor down. The only problem i had was when bottoming out (jumping it and having the suspension bottom out), Thats when you get the nice dents in the bottom of the tank. I ran mine like that for 2 years with no major problems. But after a while it gets kind of old, so i throw a fuel cell that sits behind my seat inside the rig.
GOOD LUCK!!! :beer:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I have built many of them with XJ springs and 14 bolt axles. I think you are going to hit the tank unless you got with a lift spring. Then you would be too high.

If you need anything for the swap let us know. Like I said we have done this swap many times. We even make a kit to do it. I understand if you want to do it yourself. be sure to install some type of traction link to help control axle wrap.

If you have any questions please feel free to call our tech line. 334-673-2755

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
it varies. mine hits with a 14 bolt, and im using waggy springs. i have about 2" above the pig, and although flexing will not make it hit, bouncing will. it seems like its going to vary from jeep to jeep. just build it and find out. if it hits, then do something about it. that was my plan, ill be moving my tank tho.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,

Thansk for the info. Yep, i have seen a couple rigs with similar setup not running into problems. I will be shaving the bottom of the 14 bolt, but just though about the possibility of shaving a bit the 14 bolt at the top (less surface, and slightly less weight) :) I can move the tank up about an inch as well. I am debating the cell route for right now.

Dan, good info, I will check at the BT site in regards to the traction bar to prevent wrap.

Gui

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Just cut away part of the bed and raise the tank up a few inches. Its a cheap and easy project, and has been done, photo'd and recorded on this board dozens of times.
When I did mine I was still able to use my rear seat for the kids, and in fact they liked it better, because I raised their seat up a bit also.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jeff,

I think that is the direction I am going, raise the stock tank up. The main pro with the cell is the added clearance, but I am trying to keep space in the back maximized and free without a cell for now. I have seen a couple tank raises, so I will check into that.

THX,

Gui

·
Registered
60 Posts
While we are at it...

I have been thinking about getting the BTF relocation kit for my 82 CJ7. I currently am running a D44 and RE 1.5 SOA springs. My question is, will my diff hit the tank w/ a 44 and a spring that will give me roughly 1.5in lift? Also what XJ spring would be close to 1.5 lift to match the front? If I dont have to relocate the tank I will definitely do this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would hit with stock waggy springs on my old 9" and definately with the 14 bolt. I even had a 2" body and sucked the tank up 2" into the lift space. I was, however, not running shocks at the time. Now I run a cell and 14 bolt becuase of the stretch.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
There's no way in hell you could run reversed XJ springs with a 14FF and hit the gas tank. My 14FF with XJ springs and two YJ leaves sit right about where the gas tank was.

BBurris runs XJ springs in stock Cherokee position on a rear leaf converted TJ with the stock gas tank and it doesn't hit. It has two extra chevy leaves with 36s. So it might work depending on how much you extend.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bringing up something that is kind of old but this is the olny thing holding me back from doing this. right now i have a 60ff back there and have a set of xj spring ready to go in. I was also thinking of using a one inch up one inch back block. I allready moved my tank up 3 inches and i have a kid to ride in the back so cant really go any higher and dont want a fuell cell (space/smog) will a 60 hit a 3 inch raized tank?

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think you should be in good shape with teh 3 inch raised, as long as you have some limiters or bumpstops in place.

I did hit my tank which was raised about 1.5 Inch before i finally moved it out of the way. LINK:

And quoting TexasBlake:

There's no way in hell you could run reversed XJ springs with a 14FF and hit the gas tank.
Nah, I can do it! Some self clearing :)

Wearing the Jeep:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts