Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for parking brake/disk brake options for a 14bff.

I've got a 1975 axle with the correct mounts for my squarebody project.

In short, can I buy a working junkyard 2004 axle complete with a disk brakes and a locker, and swap all the expensive bits over to a 1975 housing? A quick search on RockAuto indicates it might work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!

Yes, since I posted that question, I was finding also, that the flanges are a different bolt pattern.

Here's the deal. My non-negotiables are 4.10 gears and a working parking brake. Nice features to have would be a full float axle and disk brakes.

I already have a 1975 14bff with 4.10 gears and 13" drum brakes. The axle has been sitting for 15 years, and there's been a lot of groundhog activity around the axle. It still turns free, but should have all new seals, bearings, and brakes. Replacing all of this with stock components would cost $350.

Since I have to replace the brakes on that axle anyway, I looked into a commercially available disk conversion. For $540, I can install Ruff Stuff's Cadillac calipers with an included e-brake, and corporate 10-bolt rotors. I've heard some scare stories about those Cadillac calipers not holding tight, etc, so I'm shying away from that route.

I stopped by a junkyard this afternoon. Mr. Leon would sell me a 14bff from a early 2000's 2500 truck. It comes with 4.10 gears, disk brakes, and a locker, for $285 complete. It appears I can install new seals, bearings, and brakes in the thing for about $350. I will need to move the spring perches. It's more in depth welding than I've done before, but no reason not to learn.

Which route would you advise?

The 2000 14bff rebuilt for $750?
The 1975 14bff rebuilt with a disk brake conversion for $900 total?
The 1975 14bff rebuilt with drum brakes for $350?

I'm leaning toward the 2000 axle. I might leave some of the work until later to save on costs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would go with the AAM axle as it’s probably the simplest and best in the long run.

We did put the modern in hat parking brake discs on an older 14 bolt like you’re contemplating. We just happened to have the parts left over from a Ford axle we cut up for something else, noticed the similarities with GM and put the Ford brakes on a 14 bolt when we narrowed it. So now we have a GM 14 bolt, with Ford calipers, and Dodge rotors. It was cheap as we used mostly leftover parts but a lot of work. If we were not narrowing it we would have just used an AAM 10.5 and put new brackets on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A factory gov-lok isn't a real locker, FYI
I know nothing about lockers, this one, or others. Can you educate me a little on what to expect?

What concerns are there with this locker? Is it a time-bomb, like someone else eluded to? Would I be better off removing it, and installing the (presumably) open diff from my '75 axle?

I like the idea of a locker or limited slip, but to be honest, I don't really need it. I'm not mudding, I'm just building the truck for general farm and commuter duty. Most winters, our maximum snowfall is four inches.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The newer 14bolt is also 69" wms I believe if that makes a difference to you. I would use the newer axle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts