Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most people swear at them. I got one that was torn up already. It was cheap. :D The govenor portion IMO doesn't appear to be stout enough for rough applications. Might be fine w/a 31x10.5 in a farm truck application. The gears stripped on the govenor on mine. Was told that you can not get replacement parts. Wish someone would make a drop in locker (Detroit, Lock-Rite, etc...) for the Gov-Loc case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
it's a Gov Lock factory posi. it's ok if you keep it on pavement, but it sucks offroad, and tends to have a history of blowing up.

yes they make a detroit, but you have to take the gov lock carrier out, and get an open carrier. the detroit is a drop in locker that replaces the spider gears inside the open carrier.

i sold my gov lock for $75 on ebay, and bought an open carrier for $30.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
This is the 'open' diff for the 14FF. The spider & side gears all still all hidden inside... except for a few little holes were you can see the odd tooth thru. Have to open it up just like the pic to put in the Detroit.

Here's the gov-lock opened up just for kicks

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I would assume 80/90W is fine.

You *do* need the GM friction modifier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
im not trying to make tings more complicated but i read on the alldata at work that thare was a T.S.B. to not put aditive in with the G-80 lockinf rear diff., witch i belve is the gov-locker

now i may be way foo base on this and if so ill just keep my mouth shut next time but ill check it agen tomarow and try to post it

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Really strange... in my experince they jerk and chirp like crazy without the additive :confused: They were all 1/2-tons though...

You could always put in the additive later if it behaves funny ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts