Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I get tires I wanted to double check. I plan on 35x15.50x15 SX's to put on 10", 3.75" BS steel wheels. I have IFS hubs on the front, and an IFS rear end. The truck should flex as well as any on chevy's and rears up front. Is anyone running this wide of a tire and hitting the frame front or back?

I've searched, and it looks like this will work. IIRC, someone had some 35x16 boggers, and TNToy had some 38x14.5's that worked. I'm looking for any naysayers before I part with the cash.

Edit: 8-20-05
I wheeled these (35x15x15 TSL non SX), and they work just fine. No rubbing anywhere.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'll be a naysayer. i would never never ever ever buy a tire that wide. that size of a tire is better for mud bogging but you said you are looking for flex. stick to a 12.50. thats all you need. trust me. i run 37x12.50 mtrs and a buddy runs 36x14.50 swampers and they are just too wide. he gets hung up on narrower trails. he does have full size axles on his xj thought. thats my 0.02

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tires

I run 35x14.5x15 boggers on 10s with the 4wheel parts offset and the rears rub a little when they flex up alot. I run 4" 63" springs. The front does not touch anything at all, but the axle is moved forward 1.5". hope this helps. Noticed you are in PA, being from ct I hit paragon often and the tires grab like hell at paragon those rock have like teeth.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I ran them with a narrow rear end, and 1.5" spacers on the front and they rubbed a little. You should be fine though. I loved those tires in the rocks, they don't fall into holes that skinnier tires do and they have tons of traction. The down side is they are heavy and hard to balance. I would run them again though.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
decyfer said:
stick to a 12.50. thats all you need.
Whatever, how the fawk do you know what he needs :rolleyes:

15+ wide tires work great in the rocks, don't listen to this guy.

I've got 39.5x15's and they rub the springs at full lock in the front. Easy fix, just turn the stops out. I've got an IFS rear and they don't touch the frame.

this is on 15x10 with 2"bs.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I have 33 12.5 on an 8" rim with 2" wheel spacers. 3" lift with the front axle in the stock location and the inside lugs will grab the spring at full lock on the compression side.

The only downside to a toy axle...?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I had a 35x14.50 on a 15x10 w/4" bs. Mine rubbed on the springs at less than full lock with a stock width 85 front with a 3/4" spacer. You should be fine with the IFS hub swap. See if you can get less backspacing on the wheels when you order them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
i'll be a naysayer. i would never never ever ever buy a tire that wide. that size of a tire is better for mud bogging but you said you are looking for flex. stick to a 12.50. thats all you need. trust me. i run 37x12.50 mtrs and a buddy runs 36x14.50 swampers and they are just too wide. he gets hung up on narrower trails
Huh?????????? :shaking: 38x15.5 Swamper radials here, IFS toy rear no rub at the back. I love mine in the rocks. Front hits the springs a little just adjust the bumpstops. Running Toy axles, the width helps stability bigtime.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Here is a stock 85 Toy axle, stock suspension, with 15x8 4" BS wheels,
31x12.50 Boggers (which actually measure out to 31x14.50)

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
The fronts will most definately hit when turning. I had 14.5's and they hit all the time. My 13" wide Iroks hit sometimes. You're going to have to majorly adjust your stering points utnil you have almost 0 turning radius.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, this is really no clearer now. Half say the world will end, and half say I'll have tire/spring/frame clearance utopia. I also went back and re-read threads about this again, and they are just as inconclusive.

I'm going to get 35x15x15 regular TSL's. Interco's site lists them as an inch narrower cross section as the 15.50 SX's. I'm not really hardcore enough to need SX beef anyway.

edit 7/21/05:
I've mounted the tires mentioned above and they don't hit anything just driving around. I'll edit again when I have a chance to wheel it.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
decyfer said:
i'll be a naysayer. i would never never ever ever buy a tire that wide. that size of a tire is better for mud bogging but you said you are looking for flex. stick to a 12.50. thats all you need. trust me. i run 37x12.50 mtrs and a buddy runs 36x14.50 swampers and they are just too wide. he gets hung up on narrower trails. he does have full size axles on his xj thought. thats my 0.02

Your full of shit.

39.5x15x15 on a 2.5 BS wheel, with IFS hub bodies and rear end. At full stuff I rub the top of my shock towers in the front, and in the rear I rub the top of my fenderwheels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
yarddog said:
Whatever, how the fawk do you know what he needs :rolleyes:

15+ wide tires work great in the rocks, don't listen to this guy.

I've got 39.5x15's and they rub the springs at full lock in the front. .

you live in colorad right. well why the hell do you need 39.5x15s. i've run holy cross on 32's. maybe you need bigger tires cause you can't drive. i wouldn't even be running 37s if my gear ratio was different. and wait 12.5 that i am running don't rub. so whats the better tire. anytime you want to go wheeling "yardpup", i'll show you what you need.

i run a toy v6 rear and front with 1.5 spacers. i don't rub. ever. all you are talking about how you rub your monster 14.50. screw that. by being two inches narrower i don't do that. which means that i can flex that much more cause i'm not hitting my sidewall. does this make sense to anyone. does to me and everyone i wheel with. maybe we aren't as big of idiots. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
14,410 Posts
Lord Orange said:
At full stuff I rub the top of my shock towers in the front, and in the rear I rub the top of my fenderwheels.
Yeah, but you don't have the front fenders on that thing! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
decyfer said:
you live in colorad right. well why the hell do you need 39.5x15s. i've run holy cross on 32's. maybe you need bigger tires cause you can't drive.
So your saying bigger tires means you can't drive? So everyone running big tires can't drive? You have 37's (2 inches lower than 39's, inch on both sides)...WTF? Eat a dick.

Wait.....maybe we don't want to stack rocks, get a bigger footprint, more grip, more stable, and ground clearance. :confused:

PAToyota said:
Yeah, but you don't have the front fenders on that thing! :flipoff2:
Don't hate on it. Trail only. Give your rig 4 more years and that is what it will look like if you wheel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
for colorado you don't need larger tires. thats what i was saying big guy. too bad your brain didn't quite get that one. bigger tires make wheeling easier. which takes away some of the challenge. you know "challenge", the reason why we do this sport. maybe you don't like a challenge. ground clearance is nice. wider footprint is good but you can get that just by airing down.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
decyfer said:
you live in colorad right. well why the hell do you need 39.5x15s. i've run holy cross on 32's. maybe you need bigger tires cause you can't drive. i wouldn't even be running 37s if my gear ratio was different. and wait 12.5 that i am running don't rub. so whats the better tire. anytime you want to go wheeling "yardpup", i'll show you what you need.

i run a toy v6 rear and front with 1.5 spacers. i don't rub. ever. all you are talking about how you rub your monster 14.50. screw that. by being two inches narrower i don't do that. which means that i can flex that much more cause i'm not hitting my sidewall. does this make sense to anyone. does to me and everyone i wheel with. maybe we aren't as big of idiots. :flipoff2:
:shaking:

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
decyfer said:
for colorado you don't need larger tires. thats what i was saying big guy. too bad your brain didn't quite get that one.

bigger tires make wheeling easier. which takes away some of the challenge. you know "challenge", the reason why we do this sport.

maybe you don't like a challenge. ground clearance is nice. wider footprint is good but you can get that just by airing down.

Takes the challenge away? Well then you don't need a locker, gears, mudterrain tire, rock sliders, body armor, winch, exo, roll cage, rock lights,..etc. Why don't you just take a stock vehicle besides a jeep rubicon wheeling? Oh in colorado is full of fire trails that you don't need such expensive upgrades :flipoff2: . Are you a memeber of sierra club?

Oh Fawk it.....eat a dick. :eek:

P.S. If you air down with a wider tire your gonna get a bigger footprint = more traction. But in snow you can go pizza cutter style also, but you knew that. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Best thing i ever did was to get widier on these narrow toyota axles. Makes me feel stable (like a short fat kid :D ).
35x15 R15 on 15x10 with 2.5"BS wheels.
I had 1.5" spacers front and rear. Never in a million years rubbed frame or spring.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
hbar314 said:
Best thing i ever did was to get widier on these narrow toyota axles. Makes me feel stable (like a short fat kid :D ).
35x15 R15 on 15x10 with 2.5"BS wheels.

Yep. me too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts