Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
7.3 truck all the way, 430K on my 00' and it keeps on pulling, all original drivetrain. Last weekend I made a 600 mile trip to bring home an all steel, 4horse Goose with living quarters(heavy), cruise set at 71, and it held OD up almost every hill. 10.5mpg on a 60hp tow tune. Not bad for a truck I paid $3500 for 5 years ago..

Deals are out there if you look, My uncle just picked up a 02' excab/sb 4x4, loaded lariat, imaculate shape with 130K, for $15K from a dealership of all places.. And we live in the rust belt..

Second option would be the newest 6 speed v-10 truck you can afford

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Right, and the funny part is that's a "deal" for a 14 year old truck with 130k...
It's just all spiraled out of control. Manufacturers went nuts with hp torque and towing wars that no one needs as epa standards have increased along with safety standards and the expected level of creature comforts. So now new trucks are eleventy billion dollars, and work out used trucks are bringing 15k.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Get the V10. I've got an 08 and it's a beast. I haven't found anything yet it won't pull. Gets right around 10 on the freeway. I've seen it as low as 5mpg though but I was towing a F550 and a 24ft gooseneck at the time.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Right, and the funny part is that's a "deal" for a 14 year old truck with 130k...
It's just all spiraled out of control. Manufacturers went nuts with hp torque and towing wars that no one needs as epa standards have increased along with safety standards and the expected level of creature comforts. So now new trucks are eleventy billion dollars, and work out used trucks are bringing 15k.
Let's bitch about the free market some more :shaking:

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I get 15.5-16mpg mixed driving in my power joke. And diesel is less than gas:flipoff2:

The deals are out there, but you need to have the cash on hand to buy and do the repairs. The loan value on my 01 7.3L is only $8k, I could get twice that.
Since when? Literally for the last 8 years diesel has been 10 cents more per gallon than 87 almost everywhere I have seen on the east coast. Shoot I can put 93 in my gasser and break even with diesel....for what and extra 4-5 mpg.....I'll pass for as much as I tow...

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
It's different everywhere, it was a consistent 30 cents more than 87 here in wv for years, then it was 40 and then 50 cents, and once the bottom dropped out of oil prices it was the same for a while. Now it's creeping back up to 10 cents more. I don't get it.

PA fuel prices are insane, I live in Charles Town WV and I go to Chambersburg and York and Harrisburg and etc pretty often chasing parts and etc and I always fill up for $2.09 in Winchester Virginia, drive past the $2.18 or so diesel in wv, and the $2.39 diesel in Hagerstown MD (it's always 20 cents cheaper the other way in Frederick MD, no sense) and then at the PA state line, it's Rutters the whole way with $2.59-2.79 depending how far out in the boonies I wander.
And the difference between gas and diesel is just as all over the board.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Since when? Literally for the last 8 years diesel has been 10 cents more per gallon than 87 almost everywhere I have seen on the east coast. Shoot I can put 93 in my gasser and break even with diesel....for what and extra 4-5 mpg.....I'll pass for as much as I tow...
Here in Texas in the past month or so diesel has been cheaper than gas a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
My friend sold his rusty 97 Ram 2500 club cab 12v 6 speed cummins 4x4 long bed and bought 2001 (?) Chevy 2500HD crew cab long bed 4x4 8.1/Allison loaded with options from Texas for approx $7k. He's really happy with his switch.

GM 6.0 and 8.1, Ford 5.4 and 6.8(V-10) drinks gas so just go with the 8.1 or 6.8 for the grunt.

Also I'll prefer cummins over the 7.3 because 7.3 don't get as good mpg. IMHO of course.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
3/4 ton gas truck. Newest with lowest mileage/best condition is what I would do. All three of makes are decent trucks, each has a good part and a bad part.

At $15,000 the only diesels around here are worn out and the maintenance cost to get them back to serviceable is going to be very high.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Holy crap used diesel truck prices are crazy. I think if I was in the used market id buy a blown 6.0/6.4 and put a Cummins or just by a V10 truck.

Is my truck going up in value? 2000 7.3L CC LB ZF6 4x4 XLT 120K miles 100% rust free.....what is that worth these days? Maybe I should sell dis.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
I'm 6'5" me and commuter cars aren't for one another, my girlfriend has a Honda Accord, I have back pain every time I'm in it even for a 20 minute ride, needless to say I'd rather just eat the cost of gas and not drive a little shit box car lol. I honestly don't think I'll own a "car" again. I'll have to look into the v10's and the 8.1... I'd really prefer a diesel, that's why I posted though so I could get some feedback and opinions
that's nothing to do with the size of the car, that has to do with Honda's shitty seats.
They hurt my back too and I'm 5' 10" and 135 lbs.
I need this truck to be presentable as well, I have to bid jobs and it will also be a daily so I can't have a monster piece of shit and I'd prefer not to daily a DRW
you can buy a much newer gas truck for the money you have if being presentable is a big deal.

you really need to take a look at maintenance costs.
and at your tax situation if you're using this for a business. It may pencil out that the depreciation/tax benefit on a brand new truck is appealing.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
Sounds like you are stretching this whole thing beyond your means. If you can't swing $1600 down and 320 on a new truck how are you going to handle a $2500 injector pump or maintenance hit. Any time a diesel goes in the shop it's 2k.

I'd buy a decent 3/4 ton gasser and get your affairs in order. Build your business small and pay for it bit by bit. Don't dig a hole then try to get out of it.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
shit, a new FICM will cost $1000 just for the part.

you can probably source a good running gas motor for what an EGR/Oil cooler repair would cost on a ford 6 liter.

a 7.3L HPOP is $800.

everything diesel is fucktarded expensive.

you seem pretty set on a diesel because it's what you want, but you need to open your eyes to what kind of costs you'll be exposing yourself to with a high mileage diesel pickup truck.

Thread title asks what what we buy, and a used 10-15 year old diesel pickup isn't even on my radar for 15 grand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Holy crap used diesel truck prices are crazy. I think if I was in the used market id buy a blown 6.0/6.4 and put a Cummins or just by a V10 truck.

Is my truck going up in value? 2000 7.3L CC LB ZF6 4x4 XLT 120K miles 100% rust free.....what is that worth these days? Maybe I should sell dis.

Theres this prick on CL listing trucks like yours for 20k+ in my area. Northwest Motorsport | Trucks Trucks and More Trucks

This guy is one big reason you can't get a decent truck without someone thinking its fucking gold plated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sounds like you are stretching this whole thing beyond your means. If you can't swing $1600 down and 320 on a new truck how are you going to handle a $2500 injector pump or maintenance hit. Any time a diesel goes in the shop it's 2k.

I'd buy a decent 3/4 ton gasser and get your affairs in order. Build your business small and pay for it bit by bit. Don't dig a hole then try to get out of it.

You missed the point, I can easily swing 350 and 1600 down. The point is I don't wanna shell out 10k for a two year LEASE for a truck that I max out on a monthly basis.

Get my affairs in order? Are you normally that quick to judge?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Go buy what you have your heart set on then, which seems to be a diesel.

I bought my 2006 5.9 Dodge Mega Cab drw back in 09 for 24k and it had 70k miles on it. Just sold it a couple weeks ago with 140k miles and got 22k for it. :homer:

I'm pulling with a gasser now and pretty damn excited about it. I didn't want to be anywhere near it when a major maintenance bill came or be holding the bag when everyone realizes it was only an 8-10k truck in reality.

Other side of that dizzle inflated coin. Banks are catching on - I had 12 people come and agree on a price to buy my truck. TWELVE. Not one was approved for 22k for my truck. One guy said 16k was the max they would loan and only 36 months. Some tiny cowgirl came with stacks of 100's is who finally bought it.

Unless that motor is making me substantial money, fuck a diesel IMO.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
There are just as many good deals on good diesel trucks as there are high priced ones. Not being able to find a deal doesn't mean the diesel market is out to get you.

·
Premium Member
3,298 Posts
You missed the point, I can easily swing 350 and 1600 down. The point is I don't wanna shell out 10k for a two year LEASE for a truck that I max out on a monthly basis.

Get my affairs in order? Are you normally that quick to judge?

I don't care what you lease quite frankly. You came here asking what people would buy with 15k. They have told you and you keep telling them you are going to ignore them and get some clapped out old ass diesel that will leave you stranded with high repair costs.

So fine. go buy a 2006 6.0 Power Choke with stacks, a tune, tinted windows, a bunch of lights and big wide tires. Those always have the best maintenance history and should last forever. Make sure the owner is about 23 and has a fake dip ring and a camo hat. Those guys always take care of them.

41 - 60 of 142 Posts