Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fawk the search:flipoff2:

I need some boggys in the 44" variety. With all the 16.5 beadlock options now, is it still more beneficial to go with a 15" wheel as opposed to the 16.5"???? Pros/Cons of each???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ask Travis (rockcrawl) about his ordeal with 16.5s.

Before we ordered his TrailReadys i personally talked to the rep there with concerns about the saftey beads that are not present on the inside lip of the wheels. He swore that they had modified the wheels to compensate for the low psi we run offroad. When we recieved the wheels we noticed that there was no safety bead. If you plan on running low psi opt for the 15s or modify the 16.5s like Travis did.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
When I built my current rig, Hummer beadlocks (and others)were not readily available (and cheap) like they are now, so I went with 15" rims to mount my 39.5 swampers on. IT WAS PROBABLY THE WORST MISTAKE I MADE!:( When I went to put disc Brakes on it, I had to grind and cuss, and it was a LOT of work, when, if I had had my head out of my ass, I'd have bought the 16.5's to begin with! Not that I'm telling you what to do, but I wish someone had talked ME out going with 15"(dia) rims.....

WE~wanna buy my tires?~PS

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Since im staying with D44s for a while, im going with 15s but when i do upgrade axles im going to 17s, unless i do what Travis did and weld on an inner safety bead, or just use the TireLoc system. I think the extra effort it takes to grind calipers to fit out weighs loosing a bead.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
15s for sure!!! I laugh, I am running D60 front and D70 rear, still 8 lug and run 15 and had to grind the calipers a bit up front but no big deal. Its worth it, no problems...

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
16.5's are the way to go.

I just bought a set of Hummer rims on the PBB, complete for 350 .... SHIPPED!

Factor that, the cost of grinding wheels :flipoff2: and that for some reason 'big' 16.5 tires (swampers) are cheaper, it'd be silly to go anything else.

Just my .02

Out

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last time I checked 15's were cheaper than 16.5's for 44" boggers. Also, I dont want to use the hummer rims. Too much backspacing, not wide enough for a 44" bogger.

HEY TJ FLEX.....where did you get your wheels from? How much backspacing? And what kind of disk brakes are you using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
one last thing to remember.........PRICING!!!!! 37x12.5x15 MTR's are around 220 bucks....something like that i think.....37x12.5x17 MTR's are around 430 bucks a piece!!!! right now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for a 17" rim ever since BFG brought out thier krawlers in that size!!!! be prepared to pay out the cashish if you go with a 17" rim!!!! later, riggs

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
16.5's on hummer beadlocks with custom centers. that is what i would do if i had it to do all over. i run 42's on 15" rims and there is alot of side wall on a 42. 16.5's would give a bit less side wall. if you don't go hummer rims then i would go ahead and stick with 15's. just my op.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
jriggs said:
one last thing to remember.........PRICING!!!!! 37x12.5x15 MTR's are around 220 bucks....something like that i think.....37x12.5x17 MTR's are around 430 bucks a piece!!!! right now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for a 17" rim ever since BFG brought out thier krawlers in that size!!!! be prepared to pay out the cashish if you go with a 17" rim!!!! later, riggs
Try again. From Tire Rack you can get 37x12.50x15 for $167 and 37x12.50x17 for $190.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
hummer rims, i am going to get a set made 11.5 " wide by using a extra radial spacer. and you will be miles ahead down the road, i have 15" rims for my 44s and i haven't tried them out yet but i bet they don't turn worth a shit at 5 psi. but they were cheap. mike

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Welp, you want 19.5/44 boggs... Interco recomends a 12" wide rim for both the 15 & 16.5" size...

That said, it's far less $$ to get a single-beadlock 15x12 than it is to get a Hummer wheel modded out to 12". I did see a picture a while back of a guy who had widened Hummer wheels out to 12 or 13".. used 2 beadlock rings inside each wheel..it was sick...

But, that said, I've also seen pics of 44" TSL's mounted on stock width hummer rims. That's your call to make. Try Daniels usa6x6 forums...

You didn't mention what axles you have, but unless you're like a clueless "safe bet" NooB and running a 10-bolt in the front, you'll be doing lots of grinding on the caliper.

Daniel's got some nice pricing on custom offset hummer wheels... $185, any offset, with the beadlock, and all new hardware... I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but methinks that's a good deal. (and what I'll be running)

SO... if you don't mind the tire being pinched in, and want a double beadlock, and no grinding... 16.5".

If you absolutely want the right width rim, and don't mind all the work to make them fit, 15".

As for the price difference.. :flipoff2: At least at our shop, the difference is $13 between a 15" and 16.5" size.. and on a over $400 tire, that's pocket change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can, GO 15" with a 3"BS, In most case's you don't have to grind calipers. 3.5" Will work as well, but you may have to do a little grinding.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Eskimo said:
You didn't mention what axles you have, but unless you're like a clueless "safe bet" NooB and running a 10-bolt in the front, you'll be doing lots of grinding on the caliper.
What's wrong with grinding?

That 10 bolt is about to come out by the way. :flipoff2: Just need to actually find the d60 hehe

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Custom width hummers would have to be big money compared to getting a 15x10, weld on some beadlocks and be good to go. I have a ford RC60 with dodge 1 ton brakes. Should 3" BS be ok?? What is the issue of using 2.5" backspacing? Something about changing the inside bead???????? 4WPH has some nice 15x10 8 lug wheels for pretty cheap but they are 2.5" BS. Is this an issue?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i can get rims widened for 35 bucks each, hummer rim and run flat spacer plus full run flat some where in the 100 to 150 range. and another 50 for a new center. so 185 to 235 for a 16.5x12 double bead locked rim is not that bad. and no worries about brakes and never loose a bead. mike

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
You know, 16.5" rims are in interesting topic. There is no doubt in my mind that the availability of Hummer rims is the major reason they are even still around. Let's face it, if not for Hummer rims and Interco still making 16.5's - I am confident that by now 16.5" tires would have been retired completely from our 'wheeling vocabulary.

On one hand that is good, but on the other hand it has somewhat (IMHO of course) stunted the advancement of 17" rims with the standard 15" rim style safety bead and design features.

I am thinking also that if Interco ever turns to making their tires in a 17" rim offering, then the resurgance of 16.5" tire popularity will again start to die off... though this time for good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gunracer, any idea how much these widened, double beadlock hummer rims will weigh compared to a 15x12 wheel with a bead lock like rockstompers???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts