Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
16.5 hummer tires on regular 16.5 wheels?

This sounds like a stupid question-but I have heard both answers-If I pick up a set of 37/12.5/16.5 military HMMWV tires-will they seat on a set of factory 16.5 wheels? Specifically some Chevy alloys? I saw a thread where a guy was claiming the bead was different....thanks for any input.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Don't see why not. The 37's are radial. There's pics on this site of Pdaddy's rig with the 36" bias tires mounted on civy 16.5 aluminum wheels. Plus I don't see any difference in the 37 that the military uses and the same size old tread Goodyear MT.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bud, quit thinking so hard. A tire with a 16.5" rim diameter means that it will fit a wheel with the equivalent diameter (i.e. 16.5"). For example, a 37/12.5/16.5 tire will fit any wheel with a 16.5" diameter. The bead thickness is neglegible, unless you are considering wheels such as 8 or 12 bolt humvee wheels. The 16.5" chevy alloy wheels will suffice.

However, you may want a wheel with a width of between 8" and 10" for such a tire. The stock chevy's are a little narrow if you are partial to losing a bead.

·
Typical White Guy
3,709 Posts
Nagode said:
you may want a wheel with a width of between 8" and 10" for such a tire. The stock chevy's are a little narrow if you are partial to losing a bead.

Narrower rims should make loosing a bead less likely.
________
Keisy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mounted HV tires without tubes on 16.5 wagon wheels that were on my 3/4 ton Chevy. You will need to make sure the bead seal is extremely clean and may have to add something to help seal it though.
Balancing them back in 1991 was an issue but probably not now with today's systems.
They lasted me for years with no issues.

·
blatant asshole
12,614 Posts
Since were actualy contributing to 17 year old thread.

I ran h1s on stock gm 6.5 wheels with no issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts