Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Original plugs :laughing:
Anything's possible but considering that is listed as a 60 k item in the above Toyota manual I am betting that he had it done then.

They did put new tires on it within the last couple years.

·
Premium Member
13,758 Posts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine

It has a 1mz sp just run it till it pukes. The job sucks but it could be worse for sure. The shop sees old people as Mark's and is charging high book for damned sure with a markup over retail on factory parts while likely using autozone specials.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's mechanic-ese for "take your shitty car somewhere else".
Hey I'll be the first to say it it's old but it ain't shity. My dad's big on preventive maintenance and it's kept it in good shape.

But I hear you. I need to check if this was the dealer or a local shop.

I think what happened is he told them to go over it with a fine-tooth comb and they found some work to do. Perfect jobs to do in the January doldrums when the shop is slow after everyone has spent all their money on Christmas.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
they are probably taking the valve covers off to ensure timing marks align on the cams....whereabouts are their location? fwd v6 timing belts arent that bad, even dual cammed ones
Interesting thought, they told him there a slight leak but that it was not dripping- which sounded like BS to me. Repair justification to make their job easier sounds more likely now. Hmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
I actually am familiar with this. About 10 years ago I worked with a lady that had the exact same car. She was around the proper mileage (over 100k) and had taken hers to the dealer for a quote and they told her something like $1,250. She thought it was high. I called 2 independent shops I knew were trustworthy and had a friend at. Their quotes (using quality parts) were only about $100 cheaper. I don't know what parts/labor prices have done since then, but the quote your dad got still sounds high.

I do agree that I would consider changing it simply due to age. Does he know of any good independent shops in the area to get a quote at? You can wait until it goes. However, is it a problem if it goes, gets towed somewhere, and sits for a week or more waiting on parts or to get to the top of the list and be pulled in the shop? Do you think this same shop will charge more knowing they have your dad over a barrel or he has to pay for another tow?

If you can find a quote from a reputable shop using quality parts for closer to $1k, I would just tell him to get it done.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Without the actual estimate in hand to look at, to know what they're including in each job there's no real way to tell why the price is what it is. As far as the belt goes, sitting here with the labor guide I use at work I can't make it cost any more than 5.2hrs and that's including doing the cam/crank seals and the water pump, which comes out to $550-600 in labor at our door rate, dealer may be higher per hour but even if it's $500 in parts from them it seems awfully high. Non-interference engine or not, I wouldn't run it till it pops being that you have no idea when/where it's going to break and where they might end up stranded as a result of it breaking.

The valve cover gaskets without an oil leak doesn't make any sense, they're not a maintenance item and you can do the belt without touching them.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not saying your car is shitty. They likely just don't want the job.
Ah, I understand. And it's likely at that price they won't get it.

What they may not realize is that my parents, as I mentioned, are pretty loyal customers. They get a hint that they are being overcharged for any reason, and they will find some one else to do all of their Automotive stuff for the next decade.

Granted they only have two vehicles these days so that's not a big deal but still. Market might be big enough that they don't care as long as they get their whales from time to time.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
Technically 19...:flipoff2:

Since my dad retired it does not get much driving. I'll need to quiz my Dad on how much he plans to use it. I'll bet it does not get 1000 miles on it this year.
Check the build date :flipoff2: Seriously, I would change the belt.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
A lot of shops add 25-50% to the labor on jobs like timing belts because they are a bigger pain in the ass and more likely to result in an expensive fuckup than brake jobs or struts, etc.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Without the actual estimate in hand to look at, to know what they're including in each job there's no real way to tell why the price is what it is. As far as the belt goes, sitting here with the labor guide I use at work I can't make it cost any more than 5.2hrs and that's including doing the cam/crank seals and the water pump, which comes out to $550-600 in labor at our door rate, dealer may be higher per hour but even if it's $500 in parts from them it seems awfully high. Non-interference engine or not, I wouldn't run it till it pops being that you have no idea when/where it's going to break and where they might end up stranded as a result of it breaking.

The valve cover gaskets without an oil leak doesn't make any sense, they're not a maintenance item and you can do the belt without touching them.
I'm at the same disadvantage. This was a phone consult with my dad this evening. He has the estimate in hand and it would help if we knew what was actually on it.

A lot of shops add 25-50% to the labor on jobs like timing belts because they are a bigger pain in the ass and more likely to result in an expensive fuckup than brake jobs or struts, etc.
Yeah I can see that. I did give a shop a hard time when they offered me shocks for some huge amount and I mentioned the .5 hour book time.

Guess part of the conversation has to be the hours estimate and Shop rate.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I've run timing belts on Corollas and Camrys out to 125k. Come to think of it the '95 Camry I drove till 300+k only got one timing belt change around that mileage. I ran it into the ground after that with only another plug change or two, and the obvious-oil, battery, brakes, tires.

NO need at 67k to do one imho.

·
What did you expect?
12,762 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,378 Posts
Technically 19...:flipoff2:

Since my dad retired it does not get much driving. I'll need to quiz my Dad on how much he plans to use it. I'll bet it does not get 1000 miles on it this year.
With you both on this. That makes it three votes to do nothing till at least 100-120k.

Could be, they live in Crystal City across from one of the buildings Amazon just bought.

That is good to know! My dad loves this car and a dead engine from listening to my advice would be bad for my Tech cred. Told my dad he already has AAA. Call them when you come to a stop. :laughing:

Yeah, at 67000 miles. Sure it is almost 20 years old but unless it is malfunctioning...

It's great on insurance and Fairfax County property taxes, which are HIGH on vehicles.

OK, that is pretty much unanimous. Looks like they really can defer this one for a bit. Thanks for the reality check!
2000 Solara with only 67000 miles. Driven mostly about 10 miles to work and back. Truly a creampuff if two door Toyotas are what you are into. Has a little pep to the V6 too.

Timing belt cost is turn key, same with valve cover and all attendant gaskets. Also offered them a $220 headlight polishing.

Parents live in N VA near National Airport. Mid Seventies. Retired. They called me to see if these repairs was really warranted and should they cost so much. Maybe I am out of touch but this seems high. I do as much I can on my vehicles so I have no frame of reference on shop charges.

I'm voting no on valve cover as there is no oil leak. How long do the V6 Toyota timing belts last? Interference engine?

My parents are usually very loyal customers so I worry that someone might think they could take advantage of them. My dad is the least handy person in the universe so self repair is out. I am too far away to help. I told them the shop was planning on sending their kid to college with this bill.
His car? Sure, he can walk. Mom stranded on the road? Nope.
I can only go off of what I'm given to read. Mom was nowhere in the discussion, nor were long trips to the middle of the desert or the Canadian ice roads.

10 miles and AAA says drive the fucker till it goes. A tow truck will be there in a jiffy and take it to the shop where, guess what, it's gonna cost the same to fix. The dad, or dad AND mom, would merely be getting their absolute money's worth out of the parts already on the car and be able to take the bus or hitch a ride to wherever they were going that was so critical they couldn't afford the down time while they were in..... retirement.

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
It's the same 3.0 that's in the trucks isn't it? just turned sideways. The biggest pain is getting the crank pulley broke loose, The rest is easy, 3-4 hr job, do the waterpump while in there as it runs off the timing belt. I'd check other shops in the area to see if any can beat the price. It's the not the miles but the age that would worry me on the belt. If your dad owns a drill tell him to drop $20 on the headlight polishing kit at the parts store and save a few bucks there.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
I did a 2006 Sequoia following a guide, bagging and numbering parts to the steps all the way down to the waterpump. Since I was pulling the pump, I did hoses and the thermostat at the same time. Extremely easy sitting in the engine bay as I had pulled the radiator to not damage it.

Sienna went quick as i knew what I was in for. It was much harder, everything against the fender, and really tough to see the timing marks.

I found kits on Ebay with the OEM parts, each kit is different so I threw them into a spreadsheet to compare. For instance, some came with oil filters, some equipment belts, some with cam seals. I didn't need equipment belts and some kits were way more expensive because of some additional part. But picking a single source also saves on shipping cost/issues.

I don't think I had $500 into either kit, though I did use their extended run coolant an holy crap that aint cheap.

Rear plugs on that sienna are a pain to get to and I likewise replaced parts getting in there, the plugs and coil overs while I was back there.

When there's a good time, take a kit and do it and they'll never have to worry about it again.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
Quote is probably for a full 120k service. Timing belt and tensioner, water pump, drive belts, valve job, spark plugs, trans flush and a bunch of unnecessary fluid cleaners/additives.
With my dad I always make him send a copy (picture) of the estimate as he never knows exactly what they want to do.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,536 Posts
Those prices are way high but at 20 years, I would think about replacing the belt.
Particularly since your dad loves the car. Get another quote, fix it, drive 19 more years.

Last summer dad was visiting, decided he wanted his engine cleaned. Car was getting polished at the detailed so whatever. He drives home (4hours) breaks down near Bakersfield in 108 degree weather. 68 year old man waiting on the side of the road in crappy weather is not something I was happy about. Alternated bearings went out from cleaning. Me sitting on the side of the road, whatever. Parent or SO, I would avoid it.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts