Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just blew the hose off of my rear coil over (16in race runner) and need to find out how much oil comes in them from the factory? I have the new hose and am going to tear id down this weekend and make sure nothing got inside of it when it let go such as dirt and dust. Thanks for the help. Garrett

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
CO's aren't measured in fluid capacity like an air shock. The piston in the reservoir needs to be set in the right place, then fill the shoch all but about 2 inches from the bottom, and stick the shaft valve stack and everything back in, it will squirt out a bit of excess. But basically you want it full with the divider piston in the reservoir set in the right place.

if you have any more questions or want a better explanation than i can type out give me a call.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
i just recently revalved mine and after some trial and error setting the piston depth, I finally set it about 1" deeper than spec and put the shock shaft/piston assembly back in, no matter how gingerly I tried to get the shaft assembly back in the dividing piston moved so that is why the 1" deeper, once it was all back together the dividing piston ended up being the right depth, 8.5" for a 12" reservoir.
good luck.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,620 Posts
i just recently revalved mine and after some trial and error setting the piston depth, I finally set it about 1" deeper than spec and put the shock shaft/piston assembly back in, no matter how gingerly I tried to get the shaft assembly back in the dividing piston moved so that is why the 1" deeper, once it was all back together the dividing piston ended up being the right depth, 8.5" for a 12" reservoir.
good luck.
The divider piston will and should move when you put the rodguide assembly in, at this point you are moving the entire column of oil.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Glad this came up cause i'll be rebuilding mine and trying to find out the valvings is. Hopefully it won't be to bad lut us know how you do.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The divider piston will and should move when you put the rodguide assembly in, at this point you are moving the entire column of oil.
intuitively I figured it would. The SAW rebuild instructions say to twist them in slowly so you do not move the piston, I tried a few times before I finally realized there is no way to get that assembly in w/out moving the divider piston. Other than that it was a really simple procedure.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the help! Now after looking at it i dont think mine had enought oil in them. When i pulled the shafts out the oil was about 3 inches from overflowing out. And the piston was all the way at the bottom of the reservoir (hose side).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finished them all last night. Thanks for the directions they were really usefull! Skulver you were so right about placing the piston 1 inch deeper to 9 1/2 and after assembly it ended up 8 1/2. Erik B your directions will stay in my toolbox forever very useful. Thanks again. Garrett

1 - 10 of 10 Posts