Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around for a couple hours but couldent find exactly what I wanted. First off 17" wheels cheap which I have found but only in around 4.5" back spacing. On a 40 will these fit? I would like a 2.5" B.S. at least I think. Any good places you know of?

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
No way will they fit on stock axles...3.5 is the best to be safe.

I am running 4.5" BS on my aluminum wheels, but I just got a set of Allied 17" steel wheels used that have 2" BS.

Check them out...lots of vendors on the PBB for them.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
tacotim said:
Nolen,

Who's aluminum 17's do you have now and why you getting rid of them?

Sorry to hijack.

Tim
They are Trailready's and I am not getting rid of them, just adding another set of tires to the mix.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I ordered them from Trailready in Everett Washington. I THOUGHT I'd be getting Mickey Thompson Classic Two's, but those arent them. I didnt ask for any specific back spacing/offset.

I custom powder coated the rings white because I'll be having my rig painted white.

TB

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Rob, I didnt realize that the B/S on those rims was 5". Correct me if Im wrong here, but doesnt that mean that we'll REALLY NEED those wheel spacers?

Isnt B/S INTO the vehicle, and offset AWAY from the vehicle?

TB

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the offset is the back spacing?

And yes you never would of fit those on your cruiser with a 5 inch offset, the spacers give you just the right amount.

Rob

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have sitll looked all over for 17 steel with a custom off setset and can't find anything. Stockton wheels can build them but they want 150 a wheel. Summit said they didn't have them. Is the best thing to do is get a regular set and just put spacers on?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
From what I understand, backspacing is measuring from the mounting surface of the wheel to the back of the rim and offset is how far off of the center of the rim the mounting surface is welded. ie a 5" backspacing on a 10" wide rim would be 0 offset, but 5" backspacing on a 8" rim would be -1" offset. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are correct Dustin except for one annoying detail. The width of wheels is measured at the tire mounting spots, so in actuality most rims are about half an inch wider than they say. A 15x8 is actually more like 8.5 inches wide, so the numbers don't match. As an example my wheels are 15x8, 4.75" bs, but +6mm offset. .75" is like 18 mm, so it's off by 12 mm or so...

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Allied will make custom BS 17" rims.

I just got a set of Dayton's used from a guy who said he custom ordered them through Discount Tire.

2" BS

Walker Evans wheels come with custom BS as well.

BTW, those Weld wheels are stronger than MT Classics from everything I have seen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts