Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my eyes on a RIA tactical for a little while just waiting on funds, just came across the Taurus 1911-B1 rail. I know they aren't the high dollar 1911s but they should be a good gun for the money whats is the general consensus.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I have had my eyes on a RIA tactical for a little while just waiting on funds, just came across the Taurus 1911-B1 rail. I know they aren't the high dollar 1911s but they should be a good gun for the money whats is the general consensus.
I like my PT1911. Never shot a RI, and really don't know much about 1911's. I do know this......the folks who make the kit to convert from .45 ACP to .460 Rowland recommend the Taurus, but not the RI. ::::shrugs:::::

·
nights end here
3,315 Posts
One more vote for the PT1911. Have had nothing but good luck with my taurus.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought a RIA on a whim about 2 years ago.....nothing but problems for me. They do seem to have a decent reputation, but in my case I got the short end of the stick. The extractor was "S" shaped out of the box, which caused multiple problems ( failure to go into battery, failure to extract..). Ended up trading it off for something else, rather than throw a bunch of money at it.....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Taurus. Mine has worked flawlessly. :smokin:

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Taurus. Get one. Replace the extractor with a Wilson or Ed Brown.
Good suggestion. I would recommend doing the Ejector too.

I posted in one of the last Taurus threads how my friends Taurus 1911 sheared off at the pins in less than a month of moderate shooting. He sent it back to Taurus and in took close to 3 months to get it back. After harrasment they ended up sending a new pistol back but Rob traded up at the store for a new Springer.

The local shop he bought it from has had several returns for their 1911. So much that he does not carry them anymore. Keeps plenty of other taurus' but he has sworn off their 1911's.

I hesitated mentioning it since everyone else has had good experiences but thought it was an important data point.

They are set up well with decent sights and Beaver tail at a good price. It shot well. Trigger was not great but acceptable. I was surprised how quickly the pistol showed holster wear. Maybe he just got a Monday gun:laughing:

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Necro thread bump!!! Anyone got any more stories good or bad about either the taurus or RIA guns?

I just bought my wife a Para 1911 for her birthday and I've been wanting a 1911 in .45 for a while now... (Have a springfield EMP in .40). It would be fun to get some competitive shooting going with her using the same rounds and style of gun. I just want something slightly cheaper that still functions well.

I'm considering the following guns.

Taurus 5"
Taurus 1911 Standard 45 ACP 5" 8+1 w/Heinie Sight

Shooters Arms 5" Not sure on this one... would rather have the wedge style rear sight than the blade style...
Shooters Arms Mfg .45 ACP Elite Pistol with 5" BBL #SA-ELITE45

RIA 5"
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Tactical with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911TACA

RIA 3.5" Would be slightly less accurate than the 5" barreled 1911's for competition shooting, but would be easier to carry if I ever decided to. Right now I carry a M&P shield in .40
1911 .45 ACP Rock Island Compact CS with Matte Black Finish #AC-RI1911-CS

So yeah... anyone have any good/bad to say about any of the above?

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
dad bought a taurus ages ago.

Always works.
Ejects properly with factory, wilson and mccormick mags. Mangles the last round with pro mags, but still ejects and functions.
Something about the promag feed lips catches the brass and just collapses the case mouth.
no experience with RIA.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
The RI's are good basic guns. They may have some non-standard stuff like weird dovetails, bushing-less barrels, etc. Overall though I have had very few problems.

I've warrantied one that the mag wouldn't latch on. I didn't have time to deal with it, plus it was brand new. They did a little extra tuning on the gun while it was there.

I had one other that the detent for the slide catch wasn't deep enough. So sometimes the slide latch would pop up and catch the slide. Easy fix and not sent in.

I've moved around 50 or so RI's in the past couple years, not really any complaints I can think of.

The Citadels are a step up from RI but same company.

Taurus warranty I have had issues with such as some things going in with problems and coming out with none, but I was told nothing was fixed. The gun was sent in, in non-functioning shape, no way it was repaired by UPS fairies.

Para's will soon be dried up, but I wouldn't doubt it if the tooling for the Rem 1911'sa re basically rebadged Para's

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here is my personal experience with inexpensive 1911's

Taurus: had a .45 for a short period of time, worked, but not impressive. Have a 9mm right now, bout it cheap after somebody bubba-smithed the hell out of it. Does not function, not the guns fault. I am going to put an aftermarket barrel in it some day (taurus wanted $180 for a factory barrel ! ) I have not had good experience with Taurus customer service, and have NO plans to buy any further Taurus products.

Rock Island: Never owned one, but my friends gun store sells a bunch of them, and I have never seen one come back.

ATI: I bought a new one cheap from A PSA sale a couple years ago, ran good, felt good, until the safety broke in half and fell off at less than 100 rounds. I had other 1911 options, so I fixed it and traded it off.

My overall opinion? buy a used Springfield or Colt or Ruger. You should be able to find one in the $500-600 range and have a gun that is higher quality and goes up in value, even with modifications.

A $400-500 Taurus or RIA / any Philippine made 1911 will always be worth just that no matter how much you put in to it to make it what you want, or make it accurate/ reliable.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have a RIA 1911 & I love it. I am not the kind of person to spend 1k on a gun, its just not something I would do. I added a Hogue grip to it and it fits great in your hand, very well balanced & nice to shoot/accurate.

Some people are crybaby about the black sights, but they don't bother me. If I had any complaint about it, the take down is a little annoying. The spring is hard to compress by hand and you have to get a tiny allen key or paper clip into a pin hole to get the barrel out. Other than that I would shoot it all day long.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
RIA all the way. If you want to spend more go for the Springfield. But, honestly, if you shot them side by side you wouldn't notice a difference.

I stay away from all Tauruses. They are always hit and miss. Their CS used to be great and now it's gone way down hill recently.

The Shooters 1911's I've sold a few of. Their GI model looks and feel nice. But I've heard they have some break-in issues.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I had a RIA tactital II for awhile. Only problem I had with it was the adjustable rear sight would work loose while shooting. Little dab of loctite fixed it. Other than that it was a great gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts