Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
18,318 Posts
that one is more of a cab only truggy isn't it? i'm thinking there is a full wagon sized powerwagon build that isn't pickup based out there.

stolen image from another forum, can't for the life of me remember what his build was called on here. there was one, wasn't there? feels familiar :laughing:
I think that one was a mud truck? I know what yer talking about though but cant find it.

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
pretty sure that is the one i was thinking of :smokin: thanks!

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Nope.

Sorry for fawking yer thread up but this information is needed!
pretty sure you can't derail my threads. they would need to have direction and shit for that to happen :rasta: :flipoff2:

doesn't bother me, I appreciate seeing how other people do stuff.

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
I really like this version. It keeps the shape, lines and character. It looks good.

Though, maybe mask it off before you roll on the next paint job.:flipoff2:

for sure had a bit of overspray there :laughing:

thanks! it will be fun to see what it ends up with

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
alright, more playing around with the link calculator after getting a chance to pick 4wheel undergrounds brain for a while :smokin: thank you for your time and i look forward to getting this running so that i can bug you for more information!

Made some changes in the calculator based off things we talked about, got a more warm and fuzzy about how all that jazz works and i think i'm going to run this, or at least take these numbers into the garage this weekend and see where they fit "in space" to see if i can use them

going to do some playing around with the panhard to get the numbers more reflective of accurate and see if i can actually fit things in these places. this puts all my lower links at 42.5" and upper links at 34". gives a 30/60/90 triangle for the rear upper links with 34" upper frame side separation and 69% A/S rear. whole system netting out 4% understeer, should be good enough for the car show cruise in.

with 1" adjustment for the rear upper link frame side Z, 1" up would net 38% A/S and 1" down would net 99% A/S

Rear 4 link round 2.jpg

same adj. for front upper frame side, 1" up net 53% A/D and 1" down net 111% A/D

Front 3 link round 2.jpg

next step, see if these numbers generally clear the engine and stay within reasonable confines of subframe/body lines in my head...pick point them up in bend tech, pick up tube and FINALLY start making chips.

edit: couple notes to put in from talking with Brian. toyota knuckle king pin inclination is 9*; limit straps generally stretch 1" per foot of strap over time (2' strap = 2" stretch) to be safe, typically want bump as close to shock as possible, set shock up centered at ride height, limit 1" from full bump straight up and 1" from bottoming out on droop, 14" shock figure 7" shaft exposed at ride height with 6" uptravel across the frame leaving 1" shaft for articulation, bushings suck (but are cheap :flipoff2: ) try to build around a flat lower link at ride height and make everything else work, try to keep net roll axis angle between 0 and -5* for net neutral to understeer roll induced

all link numbers are or will be rounded to the nearest quarter inch, i can probably get it that close when actually building stuff and +/-1/4" is totally close enough for me

edit #6 or 7: so i've been doing too much playing with the link calculator, i'm comfortable with the numbers that i posted above and i'm going to shoot for that. simply due to playing around too much and knowing damn well i am never going to actually care to change my link mounts around, i'm still writing this to remind myself to build the uppers with holes 1" up and 1" down from the above drawings and i'm going to make an extra hole 1" down for the front lowers (might change that to be my first attempt to use) from the numbers

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Damn, just another '40 Buick tube crawler build on Pirate...

:flipoff2:

Killing it with the ms paint CAD work...Carry on, sir!
:laughing: thanks!

i'm kind of surprised there has only been one chop done actually :laughing:

edit: sherwin williams has a color called "Violent Obsession"....i kind of want to use that color just for the name, but it is a bit more purple than i had in mind. maybe it will be the interior head liner color

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I'm just trying to decide if this build makes me uncomfortable like telling your uncle you've knocked up his daughter, or like when the hot teacher notices your boner and it might just pan out awesome.

·
Premium Member
14,101 Posts
:laughing: thanks!

i'm kind of surprised there has only been one chop done actually ]
It took a lot of work to get all of that detail with my fat fingers on my cell phone. Looks cool so far

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm just trying to decide if this build makes me uncomfortable like telling your uncle you've knocked up his daughter, or like when the hot teacher notices your boner and it might just pan out awesome.
probably closer to the first one, kissing cousins are pretty darn close to marryin' cousins and you sure can leave family knocked up and single motherin'!

It took a lot of work to get all of that detail with my fat fingers on my cell phone. Looks cool so far
I appreciate the effort :laughing: even doing it on the touchpad mouse thing on the laptop isn't as easy as an actual mouse

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Can't swing a dead hooker without hitting an 4x4 '40 Buick these days.

No info on it, but by the sticker, it ran in the Rally LeMons.
oh fawk yeah! :smokin: i hope i can be at least that cool :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
29,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
I don't think i've seen that one before, nice looking body work on that guy :smokin:

for the most part i've got more of a tear drop shape to this body so it *might* not get so bad so quick.

I was able to get a material quote back from Scot Industries down the way in about a day, i called Tacoma Steel wednesday morning ish and still haven't heard back from them :shaking:

looks like right around $820 for

2 sticks 1.75x0.095
2 sticks 1.75x0.188
7 sticks 1.75x0.120
10LF 1.5x0.120
10LF 2.0x0.250

using numbers based off my MS Paint drawings. hopefully this weekend i can get some time in bend tech and get some better numbers, might need to be next weekend.

edit: :laughing: so i bought bend tech pro a little bit ago and it really is a great system. trying to figure out how to do this and Lo and Behold! the 'xyz' input system is available on SE and IND as well as the large radius bend and mult. dies for a single tube :laughing: ahhhhh, well i think in XYZ format, so looks like i'm going to need to do a bit more math and pencil and paper time to save myself ~$200 :lmao:

so, in the words of the great smewhtguy (may his password ever rest in peace) "if you are going to build bumpers and cages get a bender. if you are going to build a chassis, get a tube roller" and it shall be thusly modified "if you are going to build a chassis, get bend tech SE" :flipoff2:

edit2 or3: turns out bend tech pro has a 'bump bend' feature for us non roller folks. neat! thanks bend tech for having great tech support!

61 - 80 of 334 Posts