Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 582 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Update
The Jeep is completely torn apart.
Still working in a few detail on the chassis, mainly reinforcements of the shock towers. By the end of this week I should be able to send it for sandblast and paint.
The body is already painted inside with a 3M product, that it has the same finish of the rhino lining. Everything will go olive drab.

Here a couples of pics I took today, where you can see the front shock towers, the winch mount, radiator support, the anti wrap bar, and the tub...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
In the meantime, I made a clothes hanger for my son :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can i have your jeep please? No really your doing a killer job on it. Im biulding a new frame for mine also so yours is a great learning curve.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Shocks arrived today....it seems I made a bad calculation...they are to long for my aplication (12" and 14"). Since sending them back to the US is NO choice, I will modify the shock towers. on the rear is easy, I just need to cut the fender and have them go through it. Also this will be good to make a side to side bar between the shock hoops. In front is going to be a little more challenge...I still need to think about it, but one solution could be to cut the hood and make new shock hoops through the hood.....:smokin:...I´ll figure out something.
Steeering is almost done, home made hi steer arm is ready to be bolt to the knucle.
Front cross member is done with the 3 holes I was thinking....it came out pretty nice.
The body has the first layer of OD paint.
Here a coouple of pics with the bare frame, so you can che detalis.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Ok....shock towers are redone.
Finally we put de 14" shocks in front and the 12" in the back.
In the rear we just cut the fenders and remade the tabs for larger ones. A cross bar between the towers was added to help support.
In the front we make new towers, wich we passed through the hood. it turned out pretty nice...I really like the cool factor of this new setup. :smokin::D.
A tower to tower bar wil be also added for strenght.

New hoops

Hood holes...the towers are about 2" taller than the hood line...in this pic you can not notice since the front clip is not bolted yet.

Front view

Rear bar between towers...

Rear tower through fender...

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Svaras,

What springs did you end up using? How much of a arc, do they have? What is the steel thickness on the rear bumper, with the hitch?

I almost have my frame rails finished, I have a few more straps to weld. I am also trying to decide on the rear bumper thickness, with a hitch reciever. The rest of my frame is also 2x4x.120".

I also have a set (4) of ford 56" truck springs, but I think they have to much of an arc.

Thanks,
Rodney

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question, looks like your shackle angle in the rear is ~90*. Wouldn't you get better ride quality and spring performance if you relocated it so it was sitting ~30-45*?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Svaras,

What springs did you end up using? How much of a arc, do they have? What is the steel thickness on the rear bumper, with the hitch?

I almost have my frame rails finished, I have a few more straps to weld. I am also trying to decide on the rear bumper thickness, with a hitch reciever. The rest of my frame is also 2x4x.120".

I also have a set (4) of ford 56" truck springs, but I think they have to much of an arc.

Thanks,
Rodney
Stock Waggys up front and stock CJ7 in rear.
Bumpers are 4mm thick.
Regards
Sebastian

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Question, looks like your shackle angle in the rear is ~90*. Wouldn't you get better ride quality and spring performance if you relocated it so it was sitting ~30-45*?
Yes, you are right, but believe me that with al the load (cage, spare, fuel tank and cargo) the shacle stays in a better angle (we did the test putting load).
Also these are not the final springs I´ll use, the idea is to run Emu Dakar Yjs.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Few pics from yesterday.
Frame is finished.
Today we will throw the drivetrain in and probably the body too.
I´ll take more photos this afternoon..

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
OK, so we started ensambling everything together.
Hood and fenders will be paint tomorrow.
After all body parts are in place, a final layer of olive drab will be apply.
YES, the winch will be paint Olive Drab also :smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
SVARAS,

could you post pics of your motor mounts? did you make them or buy them?

Thanks,
Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Did you use a sleeve for the through bolts? If you did use a sleeve for the bolts, did you weld the sleeve's to the frame before you welded the plates? or did you leave the sleeve's free floating?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Thanks for the pics! Did you use a sleeve for the through bolts? If you did use a sleeve for the bolts, did you weld the sleeve's to the frame before you welded the plates? or did you leave the sleeve's free floating?

Thanks
No, there´s a 8 mm plate welded to the frame, wich has threaded holes.
The mounts are bolted to that plate.

101 - 120 of 582 Posts