Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if you swap to the newer style axles (without the threads on the end) you need to swap the spindle bushing. On my 1947 CJ-2a (with the old style shafts like your broken ones--I think they usually call this the 'bendix' style) it had a straight bushing (shown on the right). The later model u-joint axles (I think these are called the 'spicer' style) use a flanged bushing, like shown on the left.

I ordered this/swapped it years ago, but I'm pretty sure it's this part: http://walcks4wd.com/bushing-spindle-rzeppa-and-spi.html

A little more info: http://www.vernco.com/FrontAxle/id460.htm

It took me awhile to figure out a way to get the old bushings out. The trick I came up with was to install my puller like shown, tighten it up, then insert a rod from the outside end of the spindle and pound it through (so it's pushing on the ends of the jaws, next to the bushing.)

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Interesting read, I don't know how much of that is very critical, I mean so much of junk in the housing is there to help you set preload for those bendix shafts, with a U joint style, I'm not sure how much it really matters.
I got some commando shafts from Scott, I had to lengthen the splines and cut about 1/4 inch off them, but they fit, I'm going to try and keep those as spares as I think I found some CJ3a shafts that should fit unmolested.

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks!

So found from Shafts from Trevor at WFO, sent them to dean to be Cryo'd and I hope to put it back together next week.

At the same time I've been trying to fit a York on there, with a V8 in a flat fender there is not a lot of room left for a monster of a york. I think I found a place for it, (had a bracket that kinda worked) now I'm just waiting to dig through my pulleys and figure out some sort of belt routing.

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
So because I'm tearing down the front end, I thought I'd update the disc brakes a little.
In the 60's it had some mustang disc's swapped on. I really like the dual piston mustang calipers but the rotor fitment was something that I thought could be better.
He used a 5 lug Mustang rotor, then drilled a bunch of holes in it for allen screws to hold the hub to the rotor, machined out the face of the rotor for the wheel studs that were in the hub to fit.
By today, this is goofy as all hell, but in the 60's no one had really seen disc brakes.

It was replaced with just a normal 7/8's thick CJ rotor and banging the studs though the rotor/hub.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was able to jam a york under the hood.
To celebrate it, I built an air powered blender :)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks like a real fun 2a man, good job! Something you can wheel lightly and just enjoy driving around. Like the old alloys too.

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I took it out to SlickRock last weekend and had a blast in it!
I really need to build a roof rack as I got cooked in the sun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I haven't seen your Bronco in over a year and I noticed the garage door opener is in the flat fender... another one converted
I look at it every day, it sits sadly in the driveway.:laughing:

dual fuel tanks?

Got any pics of the seat mounts? Are those just normal Corbeau low backs?
Yup, I have dual tanks, the seat mounts are just 1 inch or 3/4 square tube, build a simple little frame, I'll try and take a pic or 2.

I tried to go wheeling over the weekend, stupid snow...
I need a top and windshield wipers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I do still love the 302, while it was down on power when I swapped it in, it is still better than a 4 banger.

I think the only thing I've do the motor is a few carb swaps, it currently has a quadrajet on it and it's ok. As much as it pains me, I might look for a cheap EFI setup. For a car I never really drive, it sucks to try and get it to start after a few months of sitting.

I can't recall if I had to lengthen the splines on the shafts or not, if you do, it's very easy.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool carburetor guy, but I recently went to fuel injection and I am officially converted. I think there's lots of good stuff out there for the 302. My buddy had a CJ7 with a fuelie 302 out of a crown vic and even though that's not a "performance" engine the jeep didn't seem to notice. A custom hardtop would help out in that snow!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts