Pirate 4x4 banner

1947 CJ-2A resto mod.

36K views 63 replies 26 participants last post by  raceanything 
#1 · (Edited)
1947 CJ-2A #2012 - year of the Flatfender.

Flat Fender time!
I picked up this little gem the other night, I'm super excited.
It's loaded with lots of great parts, but still needs loads of work too.
It's got, 289 V8 (intake off, sitting in the rain since 1993) C4, overdrive, disc brake dana 28 front, 11 inch rear drums, the wheel wells are carved over for more seat room, power steering, tilt wheel, taller 3a windshield, swing pedals and I'm sure more.
It's got some cool homemade doors on it too, I'll shelf those.

Yes, it's got some headlights from a Pontiac put on, it's done nice, but not my style, I have a different grill to put on it. It also has a hell of a front shackle reversal with billboard for a front bumper, I dislike it, I'll swap it back to normal.
Plans are 32-33 inch tires and just something to put around in.
I want something that has 1970's technology/built time.

I've got about 10 hours I forsee in presure washing before I can start to pull the motor and swap in a 302 i picked up from a friend. I'd rather have a 289, but this one looks pretty trashed.
I'd tell ya what I paid for it with almost no rust, but you people would hate me.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
So what I do about that dash?
It looks so out of place and all hangy down too low.
I'm sure it's because of the 3A glass, but how can I move it and still keep the vent and access to the wipers?

#7 ·
Original dash is not much better than that one. It would normally be flat though. You probably fit in a flatfender about as bad as I do. I'm going to mount the seats as far back as possible including some fenderwell trimming. I also thought about moving the firewall forward a couple inches to get more leg room in mine.

#8 ·
:laughing: I'm sure I want them gone, while they have grown on me, If I saw something like that on the trail, I would laugh in my own face.
No dash behind it, well, that I felt.

Original dash is not much better than that one. It would normally be flat though. You probably fit in a flatfender about as bad as I do. I'm going to mount the seats as far back as possible including some fenderwell trimming. I also thought about moving the firewall forward a couple inches to get more leg room in mine.
Like I tell all the girls, I can fit anywhere, it just takes some time.
Na, I fit like crap in a flat fender, I can only drive Power Sterring ones.
This one being an auto (not sure if I'll keep that, depends if it works) should be easier to fit in.

#11 · (Edited)
HAHA, those Jeepney's had the same deal... how sad.
I might splash some paint on it and see how funny it looks.
I gutted the inside to the dash last night, loads of carpet and glue that were cleaned.
Noticed the other day the tranny does not have park, not sure if the pawl is busted, t-case shifters not all the way or tranny linkage is funny.
At least with it washed I can look at that in the next few days.
If I have to pull the motor, I might as well take the tranny with it and do a quick rebuild. It's been a while since I went though a C4, they were easy from what I remember.
Speaking of, I notcied when I was cleaning the tranny has the very early cruise-o-matic shifter, the one where you have the 2 dots for drive so it starts in 2nd gear on one of the dots.

#12 ·
Progress.

About 2-3 hours pressure washing it, interior removed (with carpeting, barf), motor stripped ready to be pulled.

This thing is covered in some type brush on liner or rust proofer, or tar. I dunno but it's kicking my ass removing all of it. I'm going to try and get some paint stripper and if that takes it off.

I'm going to redo one of the motor mounts as I think it looks like crap.
Also with the grill off I see where he pushed the grill forward about an inch to fit the 289, It's really easy the way he did it, I'm just going to clean it up and put some nicer looking welds on it.

I also noticed that the 289 is one of the pre 65's, it uses a 5 bolt bell housing. I do have another c4, so I'm going to rob that bell housing off it as the 302 I have for it is the more common 6 bolt. I forget if these two just swap over or what flex plates need to be changed, but looks like I might have to pull the motor twice if I'm wrong...
The tranny in it is still unknown shape, I have 2 c4's in my parts pile, one I know is crap, the other no idea. This one in the flat fender still has red fluid so I'm going to give it a try.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Oh, where the hell can I stick an Optima battery in here?
Can I hog out the fender a little more?
It's the battery I have so I want to use it.

Oh, you can tell by the heater hoses but it has a freaking heater in it too, awesome, I hope it still works.

#22 ·
WOO HOO! I plan to have it running for a putt around at KOH

Good job !
Are you gonna cut the hood or change the air cleaner ?

I hate that air cleaner, it's just to keep the rain out of it. It has those nice Cal Customs valve covers on it and I'm tying to find an air cleaner that matches that is not over 100$.
I did pickup some over the frame headers for it and I need to clean those and get them on.
I've also got some 3 inch lift CJ5 springs I need to swap on to get rig of that ugly ass shackle reversal.

#21 ·
Hey that "fancy" engine will look great with the "fancy" grill!!! Win-Win in my book!

Looks good man. Keep it up.

OH and subscribed..

#23 ·
Well, I suck at taking pics and updates, but Vroom vroom!
Took it for a spin, handles great, the steering feels too tight, but I think the seals are just hard from sitting.
Overdive is a must, and pretty much I'm going to always be in it. unless wheeling.
I also took it to be weighed, it's more then I thought but I still love it, 2720 lbs.

Attachments

#30 ·
Thanks! It gets up and goes pretty well, even fits my 6'3" heavyset frame pretty well, even in those skinny corbeau seats.
I found some of those H4 lights off a Harley with a replaceable bulb, but they were all "eruo" style. I ended up just putting the sealed beams back on and will look harder after KOH, I don't think anything I could get now will be here before I leave for KOH.
Those 35w sealed beams I had are not bright at all, my flashlights are all brighter:laughing:

Looks awesome. Moving along much faster than my 2A. I'll be lucky to have a runner by the end of this year. :rolleyes:

Grill looks nice, I hope you didn't change that because of the Jeepney picture I posted. That was a photochop- just giving you a hard time... :laughing:
HAHA! No, I hate that grill the day I got it, but I am going to put it back on for the Jeeper Jambo :grinpimp:

#32 ·
They are just Black Diamond CJ5 springs, I think they are 3 inch lift, I ened up taking a bunch of them out in the back to get it to ride good.

I was happy to say I pulled this to King of the Hammers, and it did decent, did a little wheeling too.
It lost brakes, a line leaks, the PS box is shot, and the tranny is still leaking.
I want to find a quick ratio steering box for it, but I forget the app, I think it was a 69 firebird

#33 ·
Hey Mark, can you help me move?
Yes.

2012, year of the flatfender.
I think it shows how much you are willing to help someone move when you show up in a flatfender.

Attachments

#34 ·
I moved back from college years ago in my 1942 MB! Everything I had fit in the tub and passenger seat area. Its more stuff than you would think! I wish I would have had a cage with an A-pillar at that time to carry more stuff :flipoff2:

At least you didn't have to tow the couch on a skateboard behind the jeep....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.