Pirate 4x4 banner

561 - 580 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #561 (Edited)
Dan/Chris, the D4 dash is one of many displays Life Racing offers and is a steering wheel display which was almost perfect size to fit in the speedo socket. The gauges are going to be converted to solid state which will be tied into the main harness to be a parallel connection/reading on the display/gauges so the resistances of the sending units are important for accuracy.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #562 (Edited)
Recently did some dumpster diving at the local bone yard.

Been looking at seats for awhile now and it came down to being on top of the seat or in the seat so the bench is out. Didn't want to buy new seats and have to re cover them to match final interior color. Settled on the E30 sport seats which flip forward for the rear passenger's and got both fronts for $120. Then started looking console jump seats and the dodge rams were on my short list. This one is from '14 and has USB and a lighter accessory lots of storage and cup holders. Also got a bunch of interior lights for the doors and map light.

Update: Mark reskinned the E30's. Came out great :homer: Decided the E30 seats were to far gone when pricing replacement foam, misc hardware and minor fabrication time. So got a good price on these expert m's and Mark is starting on installing the climate controls and since these are symmetrical we can use one of the seats to fab the mounts in the wagon.

Been looking around at different breathable material for the seats and saw these Singer basket weave seats and started digging into the how. The basket weave material can be sourced through Spinney Beck AUS and will cover the bolsters and backs in matching mtex...Later...For now we are getting pricing, samples of carpet and hyde.

The need to commit to a color is near.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #564 (Edited)
Been eyeing this setup.

Was at the upholsterers today and here is a shot of the guts gentherm kit...Notice the little copper radiator and this is the heat and cool air exchanger. It then blows into 2 honeycombs per seat/backrest.

This shot of the back side of the back rest is the where the fan and exchanger will sit. The fabric will need to be replaced with a backer board so the intake will be vented towards the bottom and will also add a little protection in the event of something compressing against the back of the seat.

Seat bottoms will appear and function the same way.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #566 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback hizoot.

On the material type I'll be using mb tex vinyl. The Katzkin climate controls are around $900 a pair for heat and ac (another reason starting with the cheapest seats). From the research I've done the cold air is actually recirculated cabin air via computer like fans and looking at a couple other manufacturers to compare costs and quality. The foam on the donor seats is in good condition however don't want to chance only getting another x amount of years out of them so I'll need to redo the backs and bottoms with an aircraft rated foam.

Other climate control options

DONMAR Seating Comfort Upgrades

Roadwire | Leather Seats, Aftermarket Car Interior Upgrades and Road Safety

Foam

https://www.seatfoam.com/products.htm

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/31_9/builder_spotlight/seat_foam_21072-1.html

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/cockpit-and-cabin-interior/carving-foam-seats

Update: Bringing my seats to my local Katzkin Rep tomorrow and were going over installing the climate seats without the new material.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #567 (Edited)
So the seat thing escalated quickly.

Update: Last week my upholsterer Mark Luhr and I made measurements for the top and bottom of the bench seat.
We're planning on adding bolsters similar to the fronts so the seats appear similar to the fronts. They will be able to sit three but barely will have and center arm rest and heat.

For context this is how the interior of a stock wagon appears in the original sales brochure.

Random resto showing arm rests on the wheel wells. Found a set rare beehive ash trays.

Going to replicate with foam and strategically adding rod to the seat frames where they meet the wheel wells to match the buckets up front. Nice step by step here Custom Seat Build

Update: Bengals got started on a split back bench seat frame which are very close to a '32 ford. They will recline and have storage underneath.

Bob posted up a link here of some of the custom stuff they offer including 1941-46 2nd Generation suburban seats which look super close to original wagon seats.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hot-rod-seat-frames-model-a-rollpans-bengels-hot-rod-prod.615201/

Update: For the headliner I'm having the front, back and sides made out of aluminum which will make it easier for the making the headliner and to hide the roll cage and attach map lights to. This is how the from turned out.

Kick panels...The ones I have are similar to these and have the holes pre drilled and want hardware hidden and since my front doors are stretched need to make some decisions. Spent last Saturday at the hardwood place by me looking at veneers and hardwoods.

These door panels look sexy.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
That is funny! This whole build escalates quickly! I had to double check which thread I was reading when I saw the junkyard seats!
This is going to be a real nice ride, thanks for all the updates, it's always fun to follow.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
Andy, no joke partial stereo will be next :shaking: Can't start the wiring harness until ALL electrical components are mounted. Now I need to make things appear like sheet metal bumpers, power sliders to replace the middle manual windows.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Power windows is a great idea for those middle windows. I removed my vent windows and did a single power window.
It might actually be easier than messing with that stock setup.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Andy, no joke partial stereo will be next :shaking: Can't start the wiring harness until ALL electrical components are mounted. Now I need to make things appear like sheet metal bumpers, power sliders to replace the middle manual windows.
Hi Tom,

You call it "escalate"....I call it "Might As Well"..... tomato/tomato. :)

I was pretty sure about using the Katzkin setup myself for heated/cooled seats in the K5. Their system seems to pilfer parts from an OEM system used by Infiniti (IIRC). I remember seeing photos of the fans/Peltier cooler and cross-referenced the P/Ns to the original manufacturer. I don't know how strict they will ultimately be about selling the kit without "their" shop doing the required installation, but obviously I prefer to do as much of my own work as humanly possible.

Stereo: I have a great guy up in the San Jose, CA area if you want his number.... /wink /wink. :)

-G

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)
Hi Tom,

...don't know how strict they will ultimately be about selling the kit without "their" shop doing the required installation...

Stereo: I have a great guy up in the San Jose, CA area if you want his number.... /wink /wink. :)
Greg you are correct on Katzkin only selling through authorized dealers. Luckily for me my authorized dealer turned out to be the guy, Mark I wanted to do the interior for the wagon. So the Peltier system you describe sounds about right as Mark says it uses piezoelectric style computer fans and breathable material. So yea I could save a couple hundred bucks replicating my own but factoring my time into engineering one makes it a wash buying the kit. Just pricing materials for the carbon heat mats was essentially a wash. Will post pics of it for those that want to attempt it.

After watching a couple install the Katzkin kit looks identical to the gentherm kit.

https://youtu.be/pcwuF2_Sy9o

https://youtu.be/66JSqDfw46w

Stereo: "Your/Our" stereo guy in SJ moved on to installing systems into bay area mansions. Luckily my truck has one of his last mobile systems that will be transferred to the wagon.

BTW the Audi I was pilfering light bezels from had a very nice dynaudio system in it.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts

Factory heavy duty column turn signal
I like how this is coming along. I had a turn signal just like yours until some asshole stole it while I was having lunch. If you ever see another one please let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Hate thieves! Kevin got the turn signal on ebay. Seller was out of LA and got it in a couple days.
I hate those assholes too!

I'll keep an eye out for one, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
561 - 580 of 743 Posts