Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Engine compartment

Removed original radiator supports off the grill to get the new Ron Davis universal radiator closer to the grill saving valuable engine room. When buying these radiators you can save $$$ by going with the universal vs. because of the fab costs.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Primed

The sleeper look means I'll retain the Spartan interior. The original wood strips are going to be added back once I have the time on the tablesaw.

Notice anything missing here? The factory put a bump in the middle of the floors for the Dana44 pumpkin for massive wheel travel.

Going to linex the top and bottom sides of the floors.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
I don't have any problem saying this is the coolest build on Pirate right now.
pimpin...I'm actually a gear head but wasn't sure how the body mods were going to be received by the followers of pirate. IMO the best is yet to come. I wanted to quickly get all this together for documentation and get my chassis ideas together for that part of the build.

Chris...Thanks for you appreciation! Checked out your build and low and behold there are the knuckles (mainly the pin from top to bottom) I've been looking at to apply to my steering. That is going to be a sweet little rig. I used to have the tamiya "wild willy's" rc and swore I'd have a willys after that. Did you get them to work in your setup? BTW don't let SF green getsapo find out you are fabbing in your garage. I went to visit a buddy up there when I lived in the Bay Area and got pulled over by SFPD (shut down all SB lanes on 280 at 2am) because my full sized GMC matched the description of a shooter in NB. The next day on the news it turned out to be a homeless guy in an alley...To this day my '00 GMC has received its share of disrespect because of the IFS...but its never been compared to a shopping cart since...and I have never been back to SF.

-Tom

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tom,

I think you are brave for committing to the rear wheeltub sizes before even cycling the suspension with tires, etc.

I've been putting that modification off on my own build until the last possible moment. I just have a sinking feeling there are going to be all sorts of shenanigans going on between the tires and the inner fenderwells. :)

-G

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Tom,

I think you are brave for committing to the rear wheeltub sizes before even cycling the suspension with tires, etc.

I've been putting that modification off on my own build until the last possible moment. I just have a sinking feeling there are going to be all sorts of shenanigans going on between the tires and the inner fenderwells. :)

-G
Greg, Not to worry...they aren't permanently attached to the body yet. :)
I wanted to have access just in case. The plan is to limit the wheel travel to up and down only. Thinking of a tubbed street rod. My combo rear set up options are 1) going conventional shocks mounted upright maybe notching the frame for one of the tower brackets which limits the length of the strut or 2) going for broke on a cantilever. The EVO kit is nice but want the shocks to go the other direction to keep my fuel cell as large as possible.

Seen some other mezzy setups that package the swaybar and links on. More on that later.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I got a wood strip kit for the tailgate from the guy that owned my 59 wagon from 1964 until I bought it. He never installed the strips, but I think he said it was a mail order kit, I've seen a few others with them installed.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I got a wood strip kit for the tailgate from the guy that owned my 59 wagon from 1964 until I bought it. He never installed the strips, but I think he said it was a mail order kit, I've seen a few others with them installed.
Larry, Its great to hear stories about getting Willy's from 2nd and third generation people. That kit would save me time. Originally I bought an interior wood panel kit for the doors and the back sections and then had a crazy idea of stretching the doors. Now I need to wait until all the paneling and strips need to be done to match the woods when I start the interior once the weather stripping and glass is done.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Larry, Its great to hear stories about getting Willy's from 2nd and third generation people. That kit would save me time. Originally I bought an interior wood panel kit for the doors and the back sections and then had a crazy idea of stretching the doors. Now I need to wait until all the paneling and strips need to be done to match the woods when I start the interior once the weather stripping and glass is done.

Here is one I saw down in Bishop one time:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Exactly what I'm looking for. I plan on running the carpet as floor mats for use and taking them out for show. Also plan on running factory seats "stretched" that is with a few modern accutrements.

·
Registered
445 Posts
you caught me droolin over them billet boxes!!!

Me being a guy with portals, Im really diggin the build...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
jinxspot, the guys helping me with this build only do street rods and they just about soiled themselves when the 404's showed up. Definitely an elephant in the room moment. I plan on running my 404's on the street and these boxes will help keep heat down and V8 power. I plan on running these at some point and trying to track down the fast gears when I go through the axles. Also thinking about converting the drain plugs to a Fumoto type valve and running an oil pump/filter. That way there is only 1 service point instead of 4. Read somewhere the portals need to be serviced every 5000 miles due to the small amount of oil they hold?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Woodie freakout!

1937 Ford Marmon-Herrington This is going up for sale in AZ

1948 Mercury Marmon-Herrington Only 3 documented in existence. for sale at woodiesusa dot com

1948 Dodge Power Wagon 1/2 ton

1950 Dodge Power Wagon

61 - 80 of 743 Posts