Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Thanks for the compliments guys.

So the other night I was feeling quite burned out on sheetmetal, so I decided to dive into the job of making my front Toyota 8" axle into a spring under application. Cutting off the old brackets was a huge pain, but luckily it only has to be done once. I'm running square u-bolts under the springs so that I free up some ground clearance.

Driver side

Passenger side

Top of passenger side

Springs mocked up

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Well photobucket gave my thread the Aids, I'm going to try to get everything moved to imgur and fix my busted thread. Here's the only pic I've got uploaded over there so far. Hopefully it works. I've been making progress but it's slow.

i hope photobucket goes bankrupt...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I've more or less finished up the body fabrication. Many, many holes punched and drilled, and lots and lots of spot welds. Heres a pic of the inside of the tub. I still need to grind down the welds and lay on some more primer.

The access holes are there so I can grease the u-joints without dropping the skid.

I had a buddy come by and help me put the engine back in. I wanted to make sure that the path I had in mind for the steering column didn't interfere with the header. This is the first time the engine and front axle have been in at the same time. Plenty of clearance between the engine and front diff.

And a pic right before I left the shop. For inspiration blah, blah, blah. Lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I started working on getting the seats mounted up. I started with the rear bench for my boys. I added a piece of 1-1/4" angle at the bottom leading edge of the risers. This gives me some storage for small tool bags and such, and the angle keeps the stuff from sliding out from under the seat.

Same thing on the front. Front seats have sliders for when the wife wants to drive. Probably gonna mount the fire extinguisher on the outside riser.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Dig it!

How does the floor feel for the drivers right foot?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
After the driver seat was installed, it was time to work on the steering column and mounts . I ordered a nostalgia column from speedway motors in the 32" flavor. Once I figured out where it needed to go, I used a holesaw and cut a 1-3/4" hole in my nice new firewall, then slid the column in.

Here's the parts for the firewall mount. 1-3/4" exhaust clamp and some 1-1/4" angle.

Here it is assembled with the column mounted.

Here it is from the top with the lower shaft installed. I still need to cut a plate for the small carrier bearing on the lower shaft.

AND here's a side shot and a front shot of the front shock tower.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Dig it!

How does the floor feel for the drivers right foot?
Everything feels comfortable. With the drivetrain pushed to the passenger side, the driver has a good bit of room. I'll get a pic of my feet in the footwell area next time I'm at the barn

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Here are the pics of the driver side footwell area. No gas pedal yet but there is plenty of room. First pic is just the floor, second pic is a pair of wore out size 12s, left foot on the clutch and right foot where the gas pedal will be.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
great job on the fab work--getting closer and closer...chris
Thanks for the compliment. I wish I could say the end is near, but I feel like there is still a ton to do

After I finished up the lower column mount, it was time to tackle the upper mount. My dash looked like Swiss cheese, so I cut it out and planned to replace with fresh sheetmetal. This is the hole in the dash.

This is the panel that I whipped up. I used a pipe notch calculator to figure out the profile of the tube passing through the sheetmetal at 57 degrees. I also put a step on the edges to have a backer for some spot welds. It turned out very nice.

And in the hole.

I slid the column in, and down through the firewall mount. Very pleased with how it looks. Next I needed to figure out how to mount it to the dash.

This is the bracket I came up with. 14g bent at 57 degrees and another 1-3/4" exhaust clamp.

Bolted to the back of the dash, and the finished project.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I got the draglink and tie rod made up. Tube is 1-1/2 x1/4 wall dom with ruffstuff heims and weld in bungs, I think. The toyota front axle came with highsteer arms on it. Running the draglink and tie rod above the arms was gonna kill my uptravel. So, I drill them out to 5/8" holes and I'm running 5/8" grade 8 hardware., and now they're under the high steer arms. So now I have low-highsteer, or high-lowsteer, one or the other. I also swapped a flat pitman arm onto my steering box.

I have 1-1/2" of clearance, fore and aft, from the draglink/pitman arm to the tie rod. I really hope that's enough clearance once the spring compresses and the axle shifts forward.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Not much of an update tonight, but I've got a roller now. This is the first time I've got a good side shot because my work area is long and narrow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I started working on getting the seats mounted up. I started with the rear bench for my boys. I added a piece of 1-1/4" angle at the bottom leading edge of the risers. This gives me some storage for small tool bags and such, and the angle keeps the stuff from sliding out from under the seat.

Same thing on the front. Front seats have sliders for when the wife wants to drive. Probably gonna mount the fire extinguisher on the outside riser.

Do you have more pictures, or the drawing file, on your seat brackets? They look bad ass! Well done.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Do you have more pictures, or the drawing file, on your seat brackets? They look bad ass! Well done.
Thank you. Yes, I have the dxf and the autocad dwg file if you need that. Shoot me a pm with an email address and I'll get them over to you.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
What did you decide on for a fuel tank and where?
Skip

141 - 160 of 326 Posts