Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently ended up with a '52 Willys wagon. Decided i needed a project to kill time. This will probably be a slow budget minded mile trail street rig. I was following D Rat's Willy's build and loved it. So the plan is to some what copy what he had going on. Picked the wagon up from some property where it had been sitting since 1969. The interior is gone along with the drivetrain. Price was right. Just take it.

Plan is to put the body on an '86 K20 chassis I have had sitting for a couple yrs. Was a nice complete truck with a bad engine. Again price was right. Just take it. 350/465/208 with corporate 10bolt and SF14 bolt. I do have a couple of FF14 bolts. So one will find it's way on.

So far we have stripped the K20 Chassis.

I have an idea of where I am putting the body on the frame. The rear wheel well will be moved back 6-8". Will probably move the drivetrain back and maybe up some. May end up cutting the floor out like D Rat did. Just to get the body lower on the frame. Wheelbase should end up around 114". I have a set of 35" BFGs for it currently.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Couple of nice scores there! The front bumper with the overrides are much sort after and bring a few hundred on its own.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don't want to throw a wrench in here, but just something to think about. I have done three Willys Wagons. The last two were on Full-Size Jeep frames. They literally fell into place on the frames. Looks clean, the arch on the frame lines up etc. I did need to make mounts, but it was pretty easy.

Just a thought. I love those wagons. I will be watching.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to throw a wrench in here, but just something to think about. I have done three Willys Wagons. The last two were on Full-Size Jeep frames. They literally fell into place on the frames. Looks clean, the arch on the frame lines up etc. I did need to make mounts, but it was pretty easy.

Nice have any pics or build thread. For me though I'll fab anything and use what I have. And I'm a Chevy guy. My crawler is a custom frame with Chevy drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I don't. One I built pre-internet, and the others are long gone. As you know the GM stuff will work fine. I used to be into FSJ's and they were a real close fit, I think even the WB was the same.

Keep at it, it will be cool!

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
looks like no dents or rusted out panels, nice! :) Great price :D
There's a couple small dents. One in the tailgate and one in the rear rocker. Only rusted through spot in the body is the passenger side rear fender flare. Front floor area has holes and will need replaced. Front fenders are mint. The grille has nice chrome. All 5 horizontals are there. Hood is straight but looks like a tire was stored on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice find. Before you put the body back on cover up all those holes in the fire wall and I would add some sound and heat insulation. I have t pull my body back off and seal it up at some point to keep the heat blast away in the summer and cold away in the winter. Feels like you have a screen door for a firewall when driving.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice find. Before you put the body back on cover up all those holes in the fire wall and I would add some sound and heat insulation. I have t pull my body back off and seal it up at some point to keep the heat blast away in the summer and cold away in the winter. Feels like you have a screen door for a firewall when driving.
I'm sure I'll be fabbing up a new tunnel and such. And will for sure do some sound and heat deadening. I am planning on putting heat in and maybe AC. Want it to be more comfortable then my crawler.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well finally had a little time to work on the chassis. Removed the front cab mounts and moved the rear suspension forward. Man removing the rivets is a PIA!

Rear shackles will be flipped and hanging off the rear bumper.

Approximate wheelbase of 114". Should get sometime after work to get some more done this week.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Got some work time to work on Chilly as I'm now calling it.

Rough new wheelbase of 114"

Pulled body from original frame.

Body on the Chevy frame. Yes the Chevy bumper will be replaced. Just makes a handy spot for dragging it around.

Body needs to go back and down. Will be doing some cutting. Drivetrain will be moved back around 10"

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got to work on it a little. Cut some of the front floor out so the body would drop down to the frame. Welded on the front body mounts also.

Back still needs to drop down. I am going to cut the frame behind the rear spring hanger and rebuild from there back to the rear bumper with smaller square tube. This will lower the top of the frame a couple of inches. Here's how it is sitting now.

Threw the hood on just to see how it's looking.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got I little more done. Cut the frame behind the spring hangers and built a new section back to the rear bumper. 2x3 .250wall for the rails. 2x5 .250 wall bumper. Bumper is not finished yet and I need to decide exactly where I want the rear axle. I am thing back a little more.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What frames did you use? I happened to see a J10 truck the other day. I don't see how that frame would work very well. It had a really high up step under the bed.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welded the rear spring hanger where I liked the wheelbase today. Fabbed up a shackle mount/ rear body mount/ cage foot. Didn't grab a pic of that. But this is the final rear wheel placement. 117" wheelbase. The springs are sitting on the bumper. I need to fab up some L shapped shackles to clear the bumper.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts