Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Spent a couple hrs. working on some boomer rang shackles for the rear. Made from 3/8" plate and a bushing kit.

Installed in the combo, body mount, shackle hanger. Will tie the cage to this also.

Lift holding the front up where I like it. Front needs 4-5" of lift.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I struck a deal for a complete C20 chevy with the 6.2 diesel. $200. Going to get it next weekend. Figured this will be something different and enough power for what this will be for. Crazy easy wiring for these also.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
That's a beyond awesome score..
Yeah. It's been on CL for a bit. Been sitting for awhile. But figured it's worth the chance. If anything should have some useful parts for my 84' K30 crew and my son's 87 V20 Suburban.

Also started on a winch plate/bumper. 3/8" plate. Will cut the stock body mount/spring hangers off and weld this into the frame tying into the front crossmember. Then add some tabs for the spring hangers.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Worked on cutting the front body/spring mounts off Saturday. Being careful, just cutting the rivets. Saving them for a pirate member. Went and grabbed the new donor truck Sunday. Lots of good parts to salvage for our squarebody's. I have an 84 1 ton crew cab dually and my son has an 87V20 suburban on 35's. Didn't mess with the engine really yet. But it does have the J code intake.

Never seen a squarebody bench seat with a gun sheath before. Seat is in awesome shape so will use it in the crew cab.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I said it before "what a super deal", but man now seeing that truck you should be put in jail for grand theft!!!

Ok , now get to work!!:D:D
Luckily I still have to work. For the moment atleast. So only work on it during the weekends still.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Spent sometime cutting the stock Chevy body, spring hangers off. Cut the frame shorter and bolted the new winch plate, bumper to the springs. Will try and weld it on this weekend.

Need to cut some of the stock Chevy crossmember to fit the winch plate.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My son's and I spent some time working on it today. Got the winch plate/ bumper welded on. It's not finished as i don't have a winch yet. Also pulled the drivetrain out. The son's also tried to get the donor truck running. Unfortunately we never noticed it's missing 6 of the 8 glow plugs. But good news is it spins over fine and builds really good oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
With the drivetrain out of the way I notched the grille after work today to see how it will fit. Still need to decide on keeping the stock fenders or building some.

Bent and welded a couple pieces of 16 GA. mild steel in the grille notches. This will be the mounts for the grille.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First time the front clip and body have been together in yrs. Also started on the floor body support.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Haven't done much lately. Did finish welding in the 2x2 tubing for the floors. Also cut a couple of body pucks from 3/4" aluminum plate for the grille mounts.

Did get the parts truck running. Runs fine with really good oil pressure. But I do believe there is a stuck injector. But will move forward and pull the engine.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Following. My wife is on me pretty hard about getting her 46 wagon together. Think I sourced a 76 short box chevy to do the exact thing you are doing. Her's is going to be a very mild trail build.
Looking good BTW.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This will be a mild trail rig/ DD. It did end up at about short box wheelbase.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well had some time to work on this. The boys and I pulled the engine from the donor truck.

He loves getting his picture taken.:D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts