Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on this wagon for 7-8 years now so a lot of this will be a recap. It's still not finished but getting closer.

Started with, what I thought, was a clean wagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Bought a 79 Bronco cheap and swapped the body. While driving the Bronco home, the hood flew open doing 60mph on highway 15. Notice the tie strap holding it down. Good times :O

Sold the Willys chassis for what I paid for the Bronco.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Dan, Great to see another wagon build...in paradise! Man your shangrila is green by so cal standards. my first wagon was a '55 so you got my attention.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, Great to see another wagon build...in paradise! Man your shangrila is green by so cal standards. my first wagon was a '55 so you got my attention.
Not my casa anymore thanks to a divorce. But I'm much happier now. I still have my Willys ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry to bring up any old wounds...I'm happy for you and your willys :D Interested in your tailgate details when you get the chance.
No worries Tom :)

My hinge was so rusted out, decided to go truck tailgate style. The only possible issue after thought, is weatherstripping so it's air tight. Hopefully won't be a problem.

Gas struts on the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This thing is way cool.
Thanks!

I found some old pics of me lifting the body on, with a tractor.:laughing:

That's my little girl...who's now about to turn 19 :eek: (how time flies)

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Next, I had to come up with some body mounts, boxed the frame and welded in some new crossmembers. (unfortunately didn't take any pics of the frame)

Bent some 1/4" for body mounts.
(the cage mounts came later ;) )

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
made a gas tank (cardboard is as far as I got) someone with aluminum skills was called :homer:

Date on the pics was Dec 2005, guess I wasn't working too fast :shaking:

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Next chunk of money went to the front suspension. This was years ago. If I only had some of the build threads from Pirate4x4 back then :rasta:

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
Damn Dan , don't stop now ! Love to see how you did the hydro boost . Mine is in the normal place under the hood but we had to move the battery and wiring to put it there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great to see this build on here.
Surprised you even need a body mount there with the cage tie in to the frame next to it already acting as one?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great to see this build on here.
Surprised you even need a body mount there with the cage tie in to the frame next to it already acting as one?
Thanks. Probably don't need it but the cage came last so I already had the body mounts.

1 - 20 of 329 Posts