Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep was purchased by my Dad back in the 80's and has been in the family as long as I can remember. Last weekend my Dad handed the Jeep down to me.

I live in Colorado Springs, and he lives in Manteca, California. So we met in Nevada and I towed the Jeep back to Colorado. 1440 miles round trip for me and a very long weekend.

This Jeep ran all over the mountains in California and has been to Wyoming and Colorado previously when deer hunting, but has not ran for years and hasn't been run on trails in 7-8 years.

I know I have my work cut out for me and this project will continue to evolve as I get my head around just what I want out of it.
As it sits now, it's on 33x12.50x15 tires with original springs and some longer shackles. It rides ROUGH! It has what I am told is the f-head 4 cyl and possible a T-96 trans with overdrive, but the overdrive has never worked. Not sure what axles or gearing, and not sure on the transfer case.
The steering has been upgraded to a Saginaw steering box. The pedals have been upgraded to hanging pedals with a Dodge brake booster.
As it sits now in the garage:

Last hunting trip 7-8 years ago:

Tilt trailer we use to haul it around: picture from 20 years ago.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Engine:

Master cylinder went dry while sitting

$16 oil filter

Picked up some fluids, belts and hoses to get started on basics

Started pulling things apart in the dash to get an idea of whats there and what needed to go. The big hole in the dash is where a radio was mounted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opened up the cooling system and drained it and found a lot of rust. Not what I was hoping for but it is what it is.
Removed the thermostat housing to replace the thermostat and found this.

After doing some research found that on these they have a thermostat retainer. Had never heard of such a thing so I will have to get that picked up.

Removed the heater from under the dash to take a look at the heater core and squirrel cage. All looks good so flushed it out and used some WD40 to make sure everything was working. Hooked it up to a battery to make sure everything worked and it's good to go.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looks like fun, I always had hoped to get my dad's flat fender as well, but missed my chance. BTW, looks like yours has an L head (flathead), not the F head (overhead intake valve head).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Neat to keep it in the family. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Not to rusty? Did you bring it back on the same trailer? As Jalbrecht said, the L head would not be original, but we drove, and wheeled with an L head for about 7 years. They work as long as your not in a hurry. Right down in the road in Falcon if you ever need a hand. Great Jeep, and have fun.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like fun, I always had hoped to get my dad's flat fender as well, but missed my chance. BTW, looks like yours has an L head (flathead), not the F head (overhead intake valve head).
After my experience last night with the thermostat I was starting to believe that. I've never seen one and wouldn't recognize it.

Glad to see you got it! Now the fun begins
Oh yeah!

Neat to keep it in the family. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Not to rusty? Did you bring it back on the same trailer? As Jalbrecht said, the L head would not be original, but we drove, and wheeled with an L head for about 7 years. They work as long as your not in a hurry. Right down in the road in Falcon if you ever need a hand. Great Jeep, and have fun.
It has some rust but really not too bad. I did bring it back on that trailer. I'm sure I'll be calling on you to help at some point, lol. Last week was looking at one of your threads or posts and noticed that you were pretty close.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
That's great you inherited the willys from your dad! I inherited one from my father and regret selling it. One of the few real regrets I have in life. What are you hopes for it in the future? Trail rig, weekend warrior, or just to cruise around on the road and a few fire roads? Looking forward to watching this evolve.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great you inherited the willys from your dad! I inherited one from my father and regret selling it. One of the few real regrets I have in life. What are you hopes for it in the future? Trail rig, weekend warrior, or just to cruise around on the road and a few fire roads? Looking forward to watching this evolve.
First off I just want to get it running good enough for some of the rougher roads here in Colorado that beat my half ton truck to death. As funds become available this thing will evolve into something a bit more capable.
New springs are on the list.
I would like to run 35's with gearing to match, I haven't checked gearing in this thing yet.
Lockers for the more difficult trails.
Upgrade the winch.
Full roll cage.
Better spare tire rack.
Fab some new bumpers front and rear.
Seats will need recovered or replacement.
Will probably trim the rear fenderwells towards the back of the body.
New gauges, possibly where the hole in the dash is located. I have a good temp gauge in dash even though it's not the best mounting job it works.

I want to upgrade the steering, the saginaw box is way loose and there is too much play in the tie rods.

This thing has had a death wobble at higher speeds, so I would like to eliminate that.

No new pics but got the electrical system rewired as the wires had deteriorated quite a bit, some wires being cut where they passed through the firewall (no grommets previously) and I pulled about 25 feet of old wire out of the dash.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Sound alike a good realistic plan you have. Regarding the loose steering. After you fix the tie Rod ends you can tighten the steering box up a bit by adjusting the Allen screw on top
Of the steering box. It has a jam nut that holds it in place. Loosen the jam but and turn the Allen screw clockwise 1/4 turn at a time. And take it for a spin. That should tighten up your steering and hopefully get rid of the death wobble. Just make sure you fix all loose or warn parts in the steering before you start tightening the Allen on top of the box!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sound alike a good realistic plan you have. Regarding the loose steering. After you fix the tie Rod ends you can tighten the steering box up a bit by adjusting the Allen screw on top
Of the steering box. It has a jam nut that holds it in place. Loosen the jam but and turn the Allen screw clockwise 1/4 turn at a time. And take it for a spin. That should tighten up your steering and hopefully get rid of the death wobble. Just make sure you fix all loose or warn parts in the steering before you start tightening the Allen on top of the box!
I was reading about that adjustment 3 nights ago. After seeing the worn parts, I knew that is where I need to start first though.

Anybody have websites or recommendations for steering components such tie rod assembly, etc...???

Steering stabilizer needed?

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
there's WALCK's, Northwest Military, Kaiser Willys to just name a few places--just search up willy's parts and they all pop up...I've never looked for steering parts but I'd think they'd have those parts...

I always think stabilizers are a good addition, but that's just me...good luck...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there's WALCK's, Northwest Military, Kaiser Willys to just name a few places--just search up willy's parts and they all pop up...I've never looked for steering parts but I'd think they'd have those parts...

I always think stabilizers are a good addition, but that's just me...good luck...
Thanks, I have ordered from Kaiser Willys and ShopJeepParts.com but that is it so far.

·
Registered
11,085 Posts
If the steering has been converted to Saginaw you might have to hunt down some odd-ball parts for the steering linkage. Get some pictures and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

It's neat to see some family history being saved!

You HAVE to do something about that extra foot of frame overhang in front though! Yikes!

On the picture with the guy sitting in it on the trailer.....the seats look REALLY high! Whats up with that? It looks like he would be looking over the windshield!

Does it have a 3spd or 4spd transmission? It almost looks like I see a 4 speed pattern on the shift knob?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the steering has been converted to Saginaw you might have to hunt down some odd-ball parts for the steering linkage. Get some pictures and maybe we can point you in the right direction.

It's neat to see some family history being saved!

You HAVE to do something about that extra foot of frame overhang in front though! Yikes!

On the picture with the guy sitting in it on the trailer.....the seats look REALLY high! Whats up with that? It looks like he would be looking over the windshield!

Does it have a 3spd or 4spd transmission? It almost looks like I see a 4 speed pattern on the shift knob?
I'll try to get some pics of things tonight.

I will definitely do something about the frame extension out front, it will involve shortening the frame and remounting or replacing the winch.

As far as the seat height.......how big an old boy are ya'? LOL.

The picture where I am loading the Jeep on the trailer is deceiving. I am standing on the brake and clutch pedals and trying to see over the hood to the right front of the jeep where my Dad is standing telling me which direction to go loading the jeep. My butt was not in the seat.
That being said the seats are higher than needed, I will be making new seat mounts and possibly replacing the seats.
It is a 3 speed, the shift knob actually shows a 5 speed......the diagram for the R and the first 3 gears was correct so it worked as a free replacement at the time.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I've got 4-5 hours this evening to go work on it.:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steering pics

Found some rust

Trying to decide the best way to address the rust at this point.
Suggestions?

Did get some parts in today, so that was nice. Getting stuff from O'reillys is a joke. Seems like nothing is right.

Always open to any and all comments, this is my first project so I'll stumble through it doing the best I can.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I think with the rust where it is, on the firewall and floorboard, pedal area- you would be better off to cut out as much as you can and try to get back to some kind of good metal that you can tie into. This is an area that is going to see a lot of action and you want it to be sturdy. Sometimes with these old treasures, it doesn't take much to improve over the band aids that were put on in the past. Takes a little more time but in the end you won't regret it. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm debating on whether to cut it out and deal with the cross members under the floor and how it's attached there or just overlay it with a new piece of sheet metal from up near the firewall all the way to the rear fenderwell.

To get to some good metal on the side of the body under the fuel filler neck I would need to come up the side about an inch, so would probably need a piece of angle there, then sheet metal for floor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll try to get some pics of things tonight.

I will definitely do something about the frame extension out front, it will involve shortening the frame and remounting or replacing the winch.

As far as the seat height.......how big an old boy are ya'? LOL.

The picture where I am loading the Jeep on the trailer is deceiving. I am standing on the brake and clutch pedals and trying to see over the hood to the right front of the jeep where my Dad is standing telling me which direction to go loading the jeep. My butt was not in the seat.
That being said the seats are higher than needed, I will be making new seat mounts and possibly replacing the seats.
It is a 3 speed, the shift knob actually shows a 5 speed......the diagram for the R and the first 3 gears was correct so it worked as a free replacement at the time.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I've got 4-5 hours this evening to go work on it.:D

The mount for the saginaw box looks like the same manual mount box on my 71 jeepster commando. Good news is a power steering box is a bolt on affair. Can you take a picture of the steering shaft attachment to the box. I think I may be able to help. I will pull pictures and numbers tonight from what I am planning.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a pic of steering box connection

In regards to power steering, how will that affect the old 4 cyl I have in there now in regard to power? Would it even be noticeable?

1 - 20 of 316 Posts