Pirate 4x4 banner
261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
More swap info:

The oil pan: my engine came out of a 92' 4wd trailblazer. The oil pan hangs ridiculously low, so it was swapped to the 2wd oil pan which saves about 3" but then you have to modify the dipstick, they have discontinued the part for a replacement.
Did you need a different oil pickup from the 2wd or did the 4wd version fit? I have a 4.3 out of an 89 Blazer and the oil pan is way too low. I have been looking for an alternative with no luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Did you need a different oil pickup from the 2wd or did the 4wd version fit? I have a 4.3 out of an 89 Blazer and the oil pan is way too low. I have been looking for an alternative with no luck.
Oil pickup tube is the same. I ordered the 2wd oil pan off ebay, then cut the dip stick down to work for me and remarked it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
So I've been fighting a power steering whine for a while. Pump will whine a little to start with, then as fluid gets warmed up it starts whining a lot louder and then suffers a loss in power steering assist. Only takes 5-10 minutes for this to happen.

Swapped out the first power steering pump (79' camaro to match the gearbox) and it was actually worse. I followed the bleed procedure with tires up in the air and was sure I had all the air out but still had a problem.
So I decided to upgrade from the oreilly pump to a psc. I ordered the psc sp1401f- 79' and earlier hi flow p-pump with gm truck reservoir. Went to install it and the reservoir is turned about 10 degrees more upright, and won't fit the s10 4.3L bracket. Had to swap the old reservoir onto the new pump.

Took this opportunity to move the power steering cooler to a lower location, mounted under the radiator on the front crossmember. Not as much air flow but puts it lower than the reservoir in case this was causing a problem.
I also pulled all the lines off and checked to see if there are any problems with them, couldn't find any.
After two days and being pretty confident all air is out of the system, there is a still a power steering whine and loss of assist. I don't get any foaming or aeration of fluid and the level stays constant, but the whine and loss of assist is unacceptable.
Guess I'll try the gearbox next. Pretty frustrating when this seems to be the last thing holding me up from going wheeling.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
What are you using for power steering fluid?
I was using Prestone ps fluid, when I bought the psc pump I switched to psc swepco fluid.
I swapped the gear box to a used large piston box and power steering now works great, I will eventually have the box rebuilt but the pump problems went away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Took the wife out tonight, she's 29 weeks pregnant so I had to pull up to a curb for her to get in and out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I've been running the Royal Purple p/s fluid and am really happy with it. I've had a couple of noisy pumps on different vehicles, my sons truck and some customers vehicles and switching out to the Royal Purple made them quiet right down. Glad you problem is resolved.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Still had a whining from power steering pump, but the power steering worked all day on trail. Pulled the used gear box and sent it for a rebuild. I'll flush everything when ready to reinstall.
Can't imagine a new psc pump being bad out of the box causing the noise.
Anybody ever had a power steering cooler cause an issue like this? I'm using a small square style that I believe was Derale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

261 - 280 of 316 Posts