Pirate 4x4 banner
141 - 160 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
The location of the transmission could come up with minor sheet metal trimming, but the transfer case comes up where the underseat toolbox is located. I would have to remove that to be able to trim more sheet metal. It could only raise a couple inches before I would be forced to move the fuel tank. Even if I clock it down it isn't going to help the center section being able to move up.
I'm using an old bell housing, it's the half shell type. The other thing to consider it the rear driveshaft angle, length looks to be around 19"-20". By raising the transfer case any more it would increase that angle.
The front driveshaft clears everything pretty well it looks like.

I may play with it some more to see what other options there are without cutting the toolbox out.

·
Master Tinkerer
1,319 Posts
I was running that setup for years. Noticed that you are using a long water pump, you will have a tough time fitting that all in. You need short water pump and pulleys unless you stretch the hood & fenders.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Oh never mind......guess I can't count or read.....4.3 doh!:homer:
Lol.

I was looking at the clearance again, the top of the transfer case in the center is about 3/4" from the floor of the tub. I would need to cut the center section of the tub back from original location about 8 inches and then weld in metal for a new tunnel, this would be right next to the fuel tank and into the under seat storage area on passenger side. I could gain about 3" height if I do that but not sure that would be good for rear driveshaft at all.
Decisions, decisions...:shaking:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
how far forward can you move the motor? I moved mine until it was about 1/4" from the radiator fan, haha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Did some cutting on sheetmetal to raise the transmission/transfer case up. Had to cut into the toolbox a little but I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Was able to raise it 2-3". That still left it 3" below the frame but I can live with that. To go any further I would have to cut the rest of the tunnel all the way back to the step up to the bed to provide clearance for the transfer case output. I did have to cut loose the motor mounts and reset those.

Then I made a crossmember out of 1.5"x1.5"x3/16" tubing that tucked up right under the novak adapter. I welded that to 3"x4"x1/4" angle that I bolted to the frame on the outside. I made another crossmember to match to put behind the transfer case to mount the skid plate.
I tried clocking the Dana 300 down one hole but it ended up hanging lower than the transmission so I put it back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Well, thought I would give a little update.
I was out for a little while with having my right knee scoped, but slowly getting back to work on this project.

I was checking some clearances and found I would need to do a little more cutting of sheet metal.

After doing some measuring and marking I made the cut.

One thing I have found is these BDS springs are really flexy and I'm impressed.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I finally got a chance to catch up with your build since I got my password problem taken care of. You have been making great progress. Your Jeep looks great and one of these days I will get mine out there to do some trails with you. I love that area of the country.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
I finally got a chance to catch up with your build since I got my password problem taken care of. You have been making great progress. Your Jeep looks great and one of these days I will get mine out there to do some trails with you. I love that area of the country.
Sounds good, every once in a while I have to remind myself that Dec 31st I had a bare frame sitting on the ground, and even after losing a month with surgery there has been a lot accomplished.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Pulled the engine and got it painted up. Finished up the welding I needed to do underneath on the frame and body. Should start going back together next weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 · (Edited)
Making slow progress on this nightmare, lol.

I had new parts waiting to go together, went to install the flywheel but no bolts. Made a trip to the parts store and got those. Opened up the box and found the flywheel damaged, so another run to the parts store and get it swapped out.

Go to install the clutch, no bolts....nobody in town had the right bolts. Luckily, had a friend who had pulled a blown motor (4.3) and had the right bolts for me. Go to install the clutch and find the parts house gave me the wrong one. Got the right clutch the next day and get it installed.
Go to install the transmission and snapped a bellhousing bolt. Once I got that out, made a trip to the dealer to pick up a couple new bolts and got the bellhousing torqued. Go to install the dana 300 and find one of the bolt holes stripped of threads. This unit was purchased last year but I never noticed the stripped threads. Another trip to the parts store and bought 3/8-16 helicoil kit. Installed a helicoil and got things tightened up. Ran out of time to get any further today.

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Making slow progress on this nightmare, lol.

I had new parts waiting to go together, went to install the flywheel but no bolts. Made a trip to the parts store and got those. Opened up the box and found the flywheel damaged, so another run to the parts store and get it swapped out.

Go to install the clutch, no bolts....nobody in town had the right bolts. Luckily, had a friend who had pulled a blown motor (4.3) and had the right bolts for me. Go to install the clutch and find the parts house gave me the wrong one. Got the right clutch the next day and get it installed.
Go to install the transmission and snapped a bellhousing bolt. Once I got that out, made a trip to the dealer to pick up a couple new bolts and got the bellhousing torqued. Go to install the dana 300 and find one of the bolt holes stripped of threads. This unit was purchased last year but I never noticed the stripped threads. Another trip to the parts store and bought 3/8-16 helicoil kit. Installed a helicoil and got things tightened up. Ran out of time to get any further today.
I'd buy you a frosty beverage for getting through that crap-nado if I lived closer.

Progress is progress.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
That was one of the worst parts, was avoiding the frosty beverage while working on things because I knew I would have to drive to the parts store for something!

This all started 10 days ago with the oil pan. After finding out the 4wd oil pan hangs down too low on the 4.3L, I had ordered the 2wd pan and a new oil pick up to match. Went to swap it out and found the oil pick up was 5/8" tube and I needed 3/4" press fit for the high volume oil pump I had on it. After 4 trips to parts store, could not find the correct oil pick that would fit in the 2wd oil pan. Checked with Oreilly, Autozone, advance Auto, Napa, and no luck. Finally went with the original volume oil pump that uses the 5/8" oil pick up just to get things going. Hope nobody else runs into that problem.
Basically the only other solution was a custom oil pan and oil pickup according to the parts stores.
So now I have a M155HV oil pump for sale if anybody wants it. The parts stores all show it as an option on the 88-92 s10 blazer 4.3L, but they don't tell you that you will need a custom oil pan to make it work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Update, engine is in the Jeep.
Started trying to figure out bolts and pieces for the serpentine belt. Since I wasn't the one to disassemble this about 6 years ago I had my work cut out for me trying to find all the bolts.
One problem I ran into is the power steering, I'm using a standard Chevy pump and saginaw box but having trouble finding a power steering hose. I'm starting to think I'll have to have one made for me.
Has ANYBODY out there found a stock high pressure line that works?
Earlier in this thread someone posted that a J10 steering hose would work but it wasn't even close (unless they swapped the wrong part into the bag at the parts store).

I ordered a bunch of parts needed to get me through the next phase of the build, they should be here by this weekend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
PRP daily driver seat came in, plus 2 inches width and height. This seat fits pretty good. My first thought was it was too big. Too tall for sure, since I like the lowback look but safety first. I couldn't resist throwing it in to get a look at it in the jeep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 316 Posts