Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is guys. My first project. As a little background, my name is Dave, Im 24 living in Antioch California.

And the important part, the truck. It is a 1961 Jeep Willys, FC-170. I picked it up from a guy for a whopping $400. I've been dying to build something big and bad for a while now and this is my chance.

Up until now I've got a fair amount of work into it. I removed the stock axles, and stripped the truck down to almost nothing. Ive got a rebuilt (by me)Chevy Dana 60 up front, and a rebuilt Chevy 14 Bolt out back. I'm making up my own custom 4-Link front and rear. The lower links are 2" x 0.25" wall DOM tube and the upper links are 1.75" x 0.25" wall tube. Most brackets are from Blue Torch Fab.

And the whole truck is sitting on recentered H1 beadlocks with 3" backspacing, wrapped in 44" Pitbull Rockers.

I'll post some pictures and I'm really hoping to get some good feedback, opinions and discussions from all you enthusiasts and experts. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I've got my flame suit and thick skin on just in case. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
long time lurker here; i consider myself to be somewhat of a "jeep guy" but i have never heard of this model of Jeep. I think this is rad and i can't wait to see what you do with it.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Nice. I have long thought an FC would make a great tow rig

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Thats just plain bitchin

I know where a few FCs are in the Pa area if anyone needs parts or a whole truck.Havent seen them in a few years but Im sure they are still there

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
subscribed, can't wait to see how this turns out. The only worry I have for you is the frame, looks like you already chopped a section off in the front and rear of the frame and replaced it with 2" x 4" steel. Why not build a whole new frame? Didn't seem like there was much left of the original frame after you chopped it, and a whole new frame would be a stronger platform to build on.

·
Registered
573 Posts
nice..

should box the rest of the old frame or build a whole new one. why can't i find a deal like that.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
That thing was for sale on ebay a couple years ago...I'd like to know where it's at now.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
I'm hoping you're going to box and gusset the frame. Cool project otherwise. It would bitchin' to see it with a 4BT or an Isuzu diesel, like a mini cabover.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
What are you going to use to weight the back down? Stock those things are scary as hell on the trail. Got to ride in one once and between the natural tendacy to want to tip forward and the view you get from the cab downhill sections were terrifying.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all the comments. Very motivating. I love all the questions and comments. Hope to keep you updated pretty regularly. Although, like most projects, the timeline will go as fast as the budget can keep up haha.

Drivetrain: I seriously considered a diesel. My only issues are I'm not very diesel educated, and availability of parts and support. My whole goal for the truck is to be simple and easily repairable. For those reasons I've been looking at going with a Chevy 383 with modern fuel injection, backed with a TH400 and an Atlas II transfer case. (Dont hate me for the Chevy in a Jeep, its got Chevy axles lol). Of course the engine and tranny will be very stout and be roughly 450/450 horsepower and torque. Just my thoughts for now.

Chassis: DONT WORRY! Im already in the process of boxing in the frame. It will be very strong all said and done. I only chopped the back of the frame and some stock crossmembers. The reason for chopping the back was I wanted to extend the wheelbase, but the "hump" in the frame would have been in the wrong place once the axle was pushed back. So I cut it off and made the frame straight back.

In retrospect I probably could have made my own frame from scratch and it would have been very nice. But being that this is my first project I was a little cautious and decided to use the existing frame and build from there. Gussets and DOM crossmembers to come.

And last but not least, STABILITY. Im hoping it wont be too front heavy for downhilling. The wheelbase is extended to around 118" which should help. Along with A full size spare mounted in the far back of the bed (which doesnt exist yet), fuel tank, frame supports etc. I think it'll be ok.

Future plans sneak peak: full exo cage, custom touches, full coil overs 14+ inches, aluminum interior panels, flex tests and the big engine choice. Woohooo

1 - 20 of 395 Posts