Pirate 4x4 banner

341 - 360 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Thanks all!
Well I have been doing a little work, unfortunately I just lost all my pictures thanks to breaking my cell phone. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to do a little work and take some new pictures.

Lets see, the radiator is finally mounted in a way I am happy with (after no less than 3 different tries).

I have the trans and transfer case shifters in place and the center console framed out. Still playing around with exactly how to mount them but making progress.

I have a little tig welding to do for the carburetor hat so I can get the air intake in place. Its going to run up the center console and sit inside, just slightly above the front grill. High enough to never see water (unless I'm up to my chest).

I have a ton of axle parts that need to be installed so I'm probably gonna pull the axles and get them going. Just waiting on my frame stands to be returned by a buddy of mine. And while I'm at it I might as well pull the rims apart so I can get the rock rings welded on and have everything powder coated.

And while the axles are out it'll be a good time to start running some wiring and plumbing so maybe one day I can fire up this engine before the warranty runs out.

A good friend of mine has been pretty helpful in the motivation department so I'm hoping for some real progress here soon.'

Thanks again for all the comments. I really love the Pirate community!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the update pictures. Hopefully you post them sooner from now on so they can't be lost. ;)

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,259 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
What's Cantina? If it's anything this year the truck definitely won't be ready. But I've been working on a beater Toyota that my buddy and I are hoping to wheel this year. I'm hoping next summer the Jeep will be ready for at least some testing. Then again I've been saying that for quite some time lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
What's Cantina? If it's anything this year the truck definitely won't be ready. But I've been working on a beater Toyota that my buddy and I are hoping to wheel this year. I'm hoping next summer the Jeep will be ready for at least some testing. Then again I've been saying that for quite some time lol.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It is a taco fundraiser and party all weekend long at the Loon spillway. A fun, but packed weekend to wheel the Rubicon. "Cantina for the Con"

Rubicon Trail Foundation

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Couple questions. Why did you mount the radiator so far back and does it have a divider in it to force the coolant across? Or will the coolant just drop straight down and back out?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Couple questions. Why did you mount the radiator so far back and does it have a divider in it to force the coolant across? Or will the coolant just drop straight down and back out?
Looks like a dual pass radiator to me with the weld seam on the tank with the outlets . . .

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
I'll be real honest, I don't know a ton about radiators. I believe it's a dual pass like he said.

When I ordered the radiator I spoke with the tech rep from Ron Davis, explained my set up and drive train, and this is what they recommended. It's supposed to be good for 500-600 horsepower, and I'm only running around 450. He said I should have no problems.

I mounted it back so it had the best chance of clean, cool air (away from the engine and exhaust). And because with the shock hoops in place it was easy to mount securely.

And to repeat my original disclaimer, it is my first build, so I'm always open to suggestions! Lol.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts